engine build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I had the balancer removed from the last engine that was in the 2-face bike. Vibration was pretty dang bad around 4-5K. Bad enough I figured any HP I would lose wasn't worth it.

Sean

You can use a short length of soft copper rod too. Cut it long enough to stick out of the oil hole in the crank about 1/8". Insert in and rotate the crankshaft, the bearing 1/2 will roll right out. You can install the same way, just make sure you lube it well, inside and out. Use soft copper, like 12 gauge single strand house wire. Won't harm aluminum at all.

You can use a short length of soft copper rod too. Cut it long enough to stick out of the oil hole in the crank about 1/8". Insert in and rotate the crankshaft, the bearing 1/2 will roll right out. You can install the same way, just make sure you lube it well, inside and out. Use soft copper, like 12 gauge single strand house wire. Won't harm aluminum at all.
yeah i was going to use a cotter pin to sit down in the oil hole of the crank ,but one small problem with that on the v-max . both inner crank journals have no oil holes .:confused2:

Ok I got my crank bearings today . installed them into the two cases.
I have the engine halfs together and torqued to specs .
Tomorrow I will take pictures , and begin to install the oil feed tubes and pump , then the oil pan .
After that I think I will install the engine .
But maybe some of you in here have some info on this .
Is it better to install engine ,then put clutch , waterpump, stator , etc on?
Or is it better to build engine complete then install ?
any info is good info.
Thx ,Jason:confused2:

Are you using platic gauge to measure your main and rod bearings?
Or did you just use the numbers off the case and crank to find the bearings?
I did it both ways but its obvious I cant build a VMAX motor to stay together very long.
I just wish someone would come up with a roller bearing crank for this engine.:bang head:

Are you using platic gauge to measure your main and rod bearings?
Or did you just use the numbers off the case and crank to find the bearings?
I did it both ways but its obvious I cant build a VMAX motor to stay together very long.
I just wish someone would come up with a roller bearing crank for this engine.:bang head:
no I just used the # method. I hope this one last longer than my last engine . it lasted little over a month lol:punk:

no I just used the # method. I hope this one last longer than my last engine . it lasted little over a month lol:punk:

Rod,the engine builder told me he mic's everything then orders the bearings.Then pins them so they can't spin.

There is usually no problem with the mains or countershaft bearings. The problem is normally the rod bearings. I may have to talk to Rod when we get to the drags.

Sean

I've burned up 4 rod bearings i9n each engine in the past 7 yrs of my VMAX. Its always number 3 cyl that takes a shit. :bang head:
The number method,,,, hmmm:confused2: Ive always used plasti gauge yes its apain in the ass with torquing the cases and than breaking it back apart to check clearances. As I said dont take my re-build advice on VMAX engines,:ummm: I just buy a used engine from a VMAX that has been wrecked usually can get good engines for about 1200.00. This 85 engine I purchased back in Nov for 500.00 has been the fastest yet, guess I just got lucky:eusa_dance:

I gauge and measure the rod bearings since we rework them and the numbers don't mean anything anymore. The main and countershaft number system works good enough for 99% of the engine builds. It's not impossible to figure out but can be confusing for some. It's still easier then opening and closing the cases a few times.

You may have either got a good engine or maybe even one that has had had some work done on it in the past. After all it's been floating out there for over 20 years!

Sean

New pics . of installing the Heavy duty oil pump bracket and oval o-ring
Engine getting close to install .:punk:

Attachments

• S5031976 (Medium).JPG
    S5031976 (Medium).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 72
  • S5031977 (Medium).JPG
    S5031977 (Medium).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 73
  • S5031978 (Medium).JPG
    S5031978 (Medium).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 62
  • S5031979 (Medium).JPG
    S5031979 (Medium).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 50
  • S5031980 (Medium).JPG
    S5031980 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 73
  • S5031981 (Medium).JPG
    S5031981 (Medium).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 72
  • S5031982 (Medium).JPG
    S5031982 (Medium).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 71
I will be installing my engine tomorrow , yippee will keep you guys updated and more pics to come :punk:

Cool! How many engines have you rebuilt before this one? By your progress it looks like you have experience.

Cool! How many engines have you rebuilt before this one? By your progress it looks like you have experience.
motorcycle engines , this is my 6th different type of motorcycle engine I have done . unfortunately This is my second go around with my max engine .
Now engines in general I dunno I am a automotive and diesel mechanic . but motorcycles I am learning a lot thanks to everyone on this site .
Thanks ,Jason:eusa_dance:

I gauge and measure the rod bearings since we rework them and the numbers don't mean anything anymore. The main and countershaft number system works good enough for 99% of the engine builds. It's not impossible to figure out but can be confusing for some. It's still easier then opening and closing the cases a few times.

You may have either got a good engine or maybe even one that has had had some work done on it in the past. After all it's been floating out there for over 20 years!

Sean

I dont know Sean, I just know I am done trying to rebuild a VMAX engine. Ive used the number combo matching with case and crank and you are correct it was very close when using plasti gauge. I did everything by the book torque sequence, once you start torquing the rod caps dont stop in the middle etc.
As far as going back to stock displacement its about as cheap to buy an engine out of a wrecked VMAX, and its sad to say, there are a lot of folks that wrecked there VMAX.
I dont think my engine has had any work done to it. When I bought the engine I pulled the oil pan and did a compression check which avg 165 which is low compared to the last 4 I had with about 195. Low compression with great oil pressure.

Yea, it's cheaper to buy a good used engine then rebuild a stock engine. That's why I sell the 1300 conversions for some that want an upgrade. I part out vmax engines that have had other failures to build the 1300's.

Sean

updated pics , tomorrow I will be installing valve covers , exhaust , and hopefully radiator and fan .

Attachments

• S5031986 (Medium).JPG
    S5031986 (Medium).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 73
  • S5031985 (Medium).JPG
    S5031985 (Medium).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 67
are you or did you do any work to the crank? :ummm: like knife cut it or check balance on it or take out the plugs and flush out the oil paths?

are you or did you do any work to the crank? :ummm: like knife cut it or check balance on it or take out the plugs and flush out the oil paths?
I personally did not ,I got the crank and rods from Morleys Muscle :punk:

Back