Engine noise diagnosis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMax

Reaction score
I was syncing my carbs yesterday and while i was ajusting them i heard a ticking noise coming frome the rear cylinder head. Its not horribly loud but enough to cause concern. I removed the valve covers and checked the clearances and they are all in spec. No visible problems with the cam shafts. It a 96, has 36,000 miles and is ridden fairily hard but not abused, rarely sees over 7000 RPM. its allways made a started clutch noise but im not sure when this ticking started. its only coming from the rear cylinder head, the #1 the loudest. i was sapost to take a trip from NY to georgia next week but it doesnt look like its going to happen if its a rod knock or a piston problem. Thank you in advance and i hope you dont have to tell me my engine is doomed.:biglaugh:

Zak

Mine did the same thing. Is was the header heat shield vibrating.

nope, no leaks in the system. but thanks for the suggestion. i used a stethoscope and its definitly a metalic clicking noise. i was reading a few post about normal engine noises but they all seem to be in the lower end of the engine. Starter clutch, clutch basket, and the like. this is up in the piston/head area and seems to be isolated to the #1 cylinder. thanks again:sad2:

It could possibly be a sticking valve. I would put seafoam in the crankcase and run it than change the oil see if that clears it up. Seafoam is also excellent for removing carbon and lubricating valve seals.

It could possibly be a sticking valve. I would put seafoam in the crankcase and run it than change the oil see if that clears it up. Seafoam is also excellent for removing carbon and lubricating valve seals.
If it was a sticking valve, wouldnt i be able to see it when i measured the clearances? if not i will definitly try the seafoam. Thanks lankee

If it was a sticking valve, wouldnt i be able to see it when i measured the clearances? if not i will definitly try the seafoam. Thanks lankee

Stuck valve but if its gummed up the valve will still operate just not as accurate when its smooth causing a slapping noise on the seat.
Thats the onlything I cant think of as far as what your describing from the top end. May also want to check into the cam chain tensioners, does it sound like a chain rattle on the inner part of the heads?
Does the noise change tone or volume depending on engine tempature?

Stuck valve but if its gummed up the valve will still operate just not as accurate when its smooth causing a slapping noise on the seat.
Thats the onlything I cant think of as far as what your describing from the top end. May also want to check into the cam chain tensioners, does it sound like a chain rattle on the inner part of the heads?
Does the noise change tone or volume depending on engine tempature?
Oh I see. nothing along the lines of a cam chain noise. that would make a more thrashing, uneven sound as compared to my uniform tick tick tick wouldnt it? the tone and volume doesnt change with tempature. Im going to put it back together and run the seafoam through it. ill let you know how it turns out. If it blows up im sure you have a line on engines dont you lankee? if i remember right your on engine # 4 or 5?

You dont want any of my old motors! You may be better off hooking of with Morley.
I can sell you an anchor that resenmbles a VMAX engine though.
I hope the seafoam frees up anything that is sticking I doubt you have any serious issues with 36K on her unless you over revved the engine..
Seafoam is awesome and best of luck with it, let us know how ya make out.

Possible Valve Adjustment? I do have a couple of good engines.

Sean

Got back from my trip to the south, very beautiful down there but i couldnt get my mind off my baby sitting in her shed all apart with just an old Z900 to keep he company. I put some seafoam in the oil and let it run for a while. five or ten minutes later, ticking is gone. im so happy! changed the oil and filter and all is well. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice!

Back