Eric buell is back-----

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Junk. But it's because of the 1,000 failures of my piece of shit Buell moneypit that I had to go out and buy my first bike again. I'd rather ride than tinker, so I got a Vmax again.

Junk. But it's because of the 1,000 failures of my piece of shit Buell moneypit that I had to go out and buy my first bike again. I'd rather ride than tinker, so I got a Vmax again.
The only thing I have ever bought for mine was a new set of tires.

The only thing I have ever bought for mine was a new set of tires.

You are lucky. 40,000 miles on an S3T. 3rd engine, second transmission (the final drive gear bearing welding itself onto the trans shaft at 80 mph sure was fun!), had to get a billet front engine mount because the motor fell out on the highway and wonderful H-D refused to sell a new one to me (legal liability...that should tell you something), crap crankcase vent/breather system, after blowing up my 2nd shock I had to spend $700 on another aftermarket billet piece from Twin, speedo drive constantly breaks off the drive tang in the wheel, two tachometers because they inexplicably stop working....this could go on all night :bang head:

The list of recalls and warranties and TSB's for any tube frame Buell is incredibly extensive. After two years of trying to ride one I have given up. I have never before owned or attempted to maintain such a hopeless pile of crap. :damn angry:

You are lucky. 40,000 miles on an S3T. 3rd engine, second transmission (the final drive gear bearing welding itself onto the trans shaft at 80 mph sure was fun!), had to get a billet front engine mount because the motor fell out on the highway and wonderful H-D refused to sell a new one to me (legal liability...that should tell you something), crap crankcase vent/breather system, after blowing up my 2nd shock I had to spend $700 on another aftermarket billet piece from Twin, speedo drive constantly breaks off the drive tang in the wheel, two tachometers because they inexplicably stop working....this could go on all night :bang head:

The list of recalls and warranties and TSB's for any tube frame Buell is incredibly extensive. After two years of trying to ride one I have given up. I have never before owned or attempted to maintain such a hopeless pile of crap. :damn angry:
Nubicon, I will agree it was the most trying designed bike I ever owned, but I learned alot on how not to do things.

The one I rode was fun but not enough that I felt I needed one. Get an inline 4 in it (or V4 lol) and I think he can make something strong and dependable (and fast).

The 1125 is fun kind of reminds me of the TL 1000 & RC 51 Torque wise but don't seem to have the over all power. I think it was a step in the right direction the rotax is a good proven motor it may not be the fastest but qicker than the Harley for sure.

Nubicon, I will agree it was the most trying designed bike I ever owned, but I learned alot on how not to do things.

Agreed! I tried so hard to make it work, and for what I have in mine I could have had two or three other bikes.

I own a lot of expensive specialty tools now and gained quite a bit of knowledge, but I'm still all bitter over the experience! Lol.

Never had one, kinda wanted one. For me around 2005 it was between the Vmax, a 1200 sportster, and the Buell.. I had heard the Buell was kinda unstable at high speeds. Never rode it.. The HD was in my price range.. But I wanted the Max.. Got lucky and found one on Ebay within 60 miles and a price that I only drove up the bidding...but love it still after 10 year...

I have always appreciated ingenuity seen on Buell models but for the life of me cant figure out why he would go to all the effort just to use the most outdated, under-powered engines seen in motorcycles in the last quarter century. I do enjoy seeing his work and ingenuity but I'll just be a spectator for now. I hope he is successful but I suspect until he makes a clean break from HD, not only in production but in the public eye, things will always be as they were before. That really is a great looking bike.

I have always appreciated ingenuity seen on Buell models but for the life of me cant figure out why he would go to all the effort just to use the most outdated, under-powered engines seen in motorcycles in the last quarter century. I do enjoy seeing his work and ingenuity but I'll just be a spectator for now. I hope he is successful but I suspect until he makes a clean break from HD, not only in production but in the public eye, things will always be as they were before. That really is a great looking bike.

Don't forget that the thunderstorm head Buell tubers came with Andrews N4 cams and made about 101 horsepower. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking the Buell evo 1200 is the exact same engine as a Sportster 1200. It ain't so! Several of the early Buells got a Mikuni HSR42 carb too. The torque is no joke either, especially when they are propelling bikes that weigh just over 400 pounds. And as much as I hate to admit it the sound on the highway was intoxicating. 85mph as heard through my 2 into 1 Supertrapp was an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life.

His new bikes are pretty nuts. I'd love to put a leg over one for a few hours, they perform really well.

Ingenuity?
Hardest motorcycle I've ever worked one. I did not get it. I have NEVER removed soooo many parts just to get to the one needed.
Mine came with the fuel injection removed and a 42mm mikuni a full header and racing canister. Ran like a well it handled very well.

The 2000 X1 Lightning Stripe is the only Buell I ever rode, damn near bought it. I remember decent torque and a nimble chassis, it was a light feeling bike and it did sound cool, it already had aftermarket exhaust. BUT the transmission felt an awful lot like an HD and it ran out of steam at highway speeds like an HD. The EFI mapping was a dumpster fire, build quality left something to be desired as well. It was cool but really didnt feel like it was ready for production. Oh well, the price was right so I went back to make an offer on it but it was gone.

I went to Issaquah and rode the same year Triumph Sprint ST. It shifted well and the brakes were insane. Perfect EFI and spotless torque and power, it pulled hard past 10k, build quality was excellent, it looked great and had analogue gauges, very comfortable and super stable well into triple digit speeds, it also still had plenty of umph left over 100mph. Once I put a 2 bros can on it and a tune it sounded like half a Porsche, effen delicious. The Buell was very light and nimble but the Triumph beat it in every regard, especially engine. I got 80+k trouble free miles, it never let me down, ever. I actually did come away with a fondness for the Buell but the honest truth is the Brits had their feces together and it showed in a polished production ready bike. Being of Scottish descent it pains me to admit that the Hinkley era Triumps are as good as anything out there while Buell had a lot of areas to improve upon, specifically performance and build quality. The Triumph was outside my intended budget but the extra bones were so well worth it!

This is the only experience I had with Buell besides helping a friends Ulysses onto a trailer after catastrophic engine failure when it was only a year old.

Latest posts

Back