Everything You Wanted To Know About Wasps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
This is all you need to know about these little bastards :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 1282177365336.jpg
    1282177365336.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 145
I enjoy killing wasps as much as I do ants!:clapping:

Make my day...

A lighter and can of WD40 work pretty well for the paper nesting kind. (provided they are not nested in wooden rafters)

For a populated nest:

My grandmother showed me in my younger years how to loosely roll-up a section of newspaper until it was approximately about 2-1/2 ft. long and then set fire to one end. Once the flame started to get large hold it directly under the nest and watch all the wasps fall to the ground in less than 2 seconds without their wings.

Then you just do a shoe dance on their worthless a$$. Then remove their nest and decide how you want to deal with their orphans.

Done this routine without once getting stung more than a dozen times on red wasps and yellow jackets with a nest up to a softball in size. Anything larger than that I would recommend a different approach.

battling a nest of yellow jackets right now, may need pro help.

A can of wasp spray lets you hose them from 20 feet away. Gives you a good running start!

Where's the fun in that?

If you're really tuff, you can walk up and tap the nest with a baseball bat. Then start swinging. :biglaugh:

I actually did tap on a small hornets' nest with a pair of hedge clippers one time to prove to my wife there weren't any hornets living there any more. Darn nest had been there, unchanged, for over three years. After about the fourth hard tap, the buzzing began! She and I ran fast enough to escape their wrath, but the cat standing nearby, took about 8-10 hits before realizing what all our running had been for.

A can of wasp spray lets you hose them from 20 feet away. Gives you a good running start!

Yeah,

That is some bad stuff, anything it gets on will be dead, including shrubs, plants, grass etc. Some folks are using it for protection against burglars as well. Get shot in the eyes or face and you will be blind and deformed that for sure. :stickyman:

You think wasps suck?
Google "European Hornet".

Ok. I did. Wikipedia makes them sound like harmless rolly polly's - til you step on one, or go to breathing on it within 20" of the nest. :ummm:

My vote for most ferocious goes out the yellow jackets. I ran over a nest a couple years back with the bush hog. Never did see but a glimpse of the bastids, yet ended up with over 20 hits in seconds. With both my arms flailing and me hopping around on the tractor seat, I managed to run over both my sunglasses and a good leather glove during my retreat. It was a miracle I didn't fall off and run over myself. I went back after dark, armed with a flashlight and a can of gasoline, but never saw hide nor hair of them or their nest.

Ok. I did. Wikipedia makes them sound like harmless rolly polly's - til you step on one, or go to breathing on it within 20" of the nest. :ummm:

My vote for most ferocious goes out the yellow jackets. I ran over a nest a couple years back with the bush hog. Never did see but a glimpse of the bastids, yet ended up with over 20 hits in seconds. With both my arms flailing and me hopping around on the tractor seat, I managed to run over both my sunglasses and a good leather glove during my retreat. It was a miracle I didn't fall off and run over myself. I went back after dark, armed with a flashlight and a can of gasoline, but never saw hide nor hair of them or their nest.

I had the same damn thing happen!! Stepped on the nest while carrying a large block of ash....they hit me from all angles and I never saw a one!! Went after them with a jar of gasoline after dark, but couldn'r find them!

They are extremely mean, and move like lightning!!

Yeah,

That is some bad stuff, anything it gets on will be dead, including shrubs, plants, grass etc. Some folks are using it for protection against burglars as well. Get shot in the eyes or face and you will be blind and deformed that for sure. :stickyman:

not really, on my second can and it doesn't do all that much, i've sucked in some fumes and did't do shit to me. I got up in the bee's face with some expandable foam and it quited them down for about 30 second than the air raid siren went off and all tried to get back into the nest, i laughed messed with them some more, than laughed again, than ran into the house.

I had the same damn thing happen!! Stepped on the nest while carrying a large block of ash....they hit me from all angles and I never saw a one!! Went after them with a jar of gasoline after dark, but couldn'r find them!

They are extremely mean, and move like lightning!!

Yep, we call them "ground bees" and they are mean as hell and pack a serious punch when they sting you. I usually mark the nest and go back after dark with a cup of gas. Pour it in the hole and then light it and enjoy the sound of em burning! My father in law taught me the hillbilly way of killing them....put a clear mason jar over their entry hole at night, and during the day they fly up into the jar. As long as they can see light, they will not tunnel a new entrance. They end up dying off after about 3 days.

Where's the fun in that?

If you're really tuff, you can walk up and tap the nest with a baseball bat. Then start swinging. :biglaugh:

I actually did tap on a small hornets' nest with a pair of hedge clippers one time to prove to my wife there weren't any hornets living there any more. Darn nest had been there, unchanged, for over three years. After about the fourth hard tap, the buzzing began! She and I ran fast enough to escape their wrath, but the cat standing nearby, took about 8-10 hits before realizing what all our running had been for.

I've seen people do....and I don't have the balls for it......Is walk right up to a big ol paper-wasp-type nest with a big trash bag and go right over the nest with it....break it off the limb.....and try it up....throw it in the trash barrel....all will be dead before trash pick-up day......

Bangel wasp and hornet killer is the best OTC wasp killer I have ran across. It actually does kill them on contact.

Time to resurrect this thread.
Only with them God-Damned fucking BLACK FLIES!
What a waste of life.

I spent about an hour outside this afternoon putting the variator back into my wife's Burgman 400. (Bad bearing simple fix)

Those little bastards must have bitten me a hundred times.

To make it worse, we spotted a couple fucking carpenter ants in the house, too!

Insects suck.

Back