exessive drive- train play ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
How clunky are these bikes suppose to be. When I am in 1st gear and I let the throttle off and on....there is a pretty good clunk. More than I think there should be. When the big is shut off and in gear, you can roll it back and forth 4 inches...clunk, clunk. My buddy had an old gold wing that seemed to have alot of drive train lash, but it was normal for that bike.
Cant really seem to pin point where the clunk is comming from. I really think theres to much play some where. What are the common culperts? Theres no vibration or noise at all comming from it. Kinda worried.

My 94 had the nut holding the pinion in place back off but there was a
horendous whine on deceleration so that's not what you have.

I just went out and rolled mine back and forth in 1st, it'll move about 3".
I don't have any clunk, the rear gear is perfectly quite, up, down all the time.

Good Luck, This kinda problem can drive you nuts.

Dave

try to take a vid of it maybe? i don't think the 4" is all that uncommon, altho i'd say from memory mine is more like spec oc of 3"

Well I put the bike in 2nd gear and rolled it back and forth....same 4inches. So it doesnt seem to matter what gear its in,,,the lash stays the same.Thats a good thing. But it is going to come apart :damn angry: There is a VERY pernounced clunk coming from the back of the motor "front of the drive shaft" Somthing is REALLY loose! I'm suspecting,..what ever the drive shaft bolts up to,..is going to be screwed. As soon as I get over this really nasty chest cold,..I'll have a look. I am actually excited to see what it is. I think I'll take a look on bikebandit, at a schematic and see whats involved.

Well it looks like there could be many culperts. Had a yamaha 650 star apart a couple years ago, and the spring behind the drive shaft spline was crushed and raised havock. I'm stating to think that the guy I bought this bike from, drove the shit right out of it.There is things that shouldnt be worn out at onley 28,000 kilometers.

Attachments

• DRIVE_SHAFT.jpg
    DRIVE_SHAFT.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 14
Could be broken rear diff (see previous post about the loose nut), could be broken rear u-joint (but wouldn't go anywhere), could be bad bearing in the trans, ect.... My bet is the rear diff.

Sean

Could be broken rear diff (see previous post about the loose nut), could be broken rear u-joint (but wouldn't go anywhere), could be bad bearing in the trans, ect.... My bet is the rear diff.

Sean

Thanks,..will check posts and dif/nut

well, the rear end is great shape, and so is the shaft, and the front U joint. But man is there a ton of "left and right" motion going on to where the yoke bolts into. And the noise seems to be coming from directly behind that plate.

Last edited:
Not much back there other then the worm gear setup. You could have broken a tooth and it's easy to go look. loosen the three bolts out a little and give it a slight tug. Remove the shims that slip in from the sides (tabs visible on the top of the assembly). Then remove the bolts the rest of the way and yank the assembly out. You might leak a little bit of oil (not all that much). Then you can look in there and see the gear.

Sean

Not much back there other then the worm gear setup. You could have broken a tooth and it's easy to go look. loosen the three bolts out a little and give it a slight tug. Remove the shims that slip in from the sides (tabs visible on the top of the assembly). Then remove the bolts the rest of the way and yank the assembly out. You might leak a little bit of oil (not all that much). Then you can look in there and see the gear.

Sean

If I take some shims out,.can I get rid of some of the lash?

Well...lots of potential places to have wear. This is going to be a learning curve for me. Never had a drive shaft / middle gear problem in all my years. "this is not looking good"

Attachments

• middledrive.jpg
    middledrive.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
I think it would be unlikely but possible to have an issue with the cam damper setup as it mates to the face of one of the spiral bevel gears. I'm not aware that these have caused problems in the past but anything is possible.

I would not suggest changing any of the shim/lash settings unless you plan to really look over the gear engagement. Not an easy task.

Sean

I know how you feel with a drive train problem, I fought a whine for about a year, trying to get up the courage to jump in and do something about it. I barely rode the bike in that time, afraid of destroying something. The problem was so simple with help from Sean Morley, CaptainKyle and naughtyG. Makes me feal dumb for not going after a fix sooner. It drove me nuts. Now the bike runs like new.

After all of that and more, I'm looking at the possibility of buying an 07 from Brett and selling or parting mine. How dumb is that......

Best of luck,
Dave

OK...the gears are all good. But this shaft shown in the Pic has a ton of movement. It rolls about 1/3 turn before it stops.What ever its conected to...is the problem. What does it go to? How do I get this shaft out? Do I pull off the cover on the left side first?

Ever wounder where that exessive lash comes from.. ?".this shaft."

Attachments

• vmaxclunk 001.jpg
    vmaxclunk 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 43
  • vmaxclunk 002.jpg
    vmaxclunk 002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 36
Oh Crap, that's where we initially thought my problem was. That's the middle gear. It scared all of us at the Tech Day but then we found the
problem was the Pinion nut. That saved the day for me. Sean Morley I believe said he'd never seen a middle gear problem. I hope this is not
really where your problem is. We checked the Play in the middle gear against an engine CaptainKyle had out of the frame. We had the drive
shaft connected and Mine was actually a little tighter than the engine we tested against.

Good Luck,

Oh Crap, that's where we initially thought my problem was. That's the middle gear. It scared all of us at the Tech Day but then we found the
problem was the Pinion nut. That saved the day for me. Sean Morley I believe said he'd never seen a middle gear problem. I hope this is not
really where your problem is. We checked the Play in the middle gear against an engine CaptainKyle had out of the frame. We had the drive
shaft connected and Mine was actually a little tighter than the engine we tested against.

Good Luck,
Yep,..middle gear issue alright`.You can turn the shaft a 1/3 of the way around before it stops! Not reall happy at this point. Seems its 1 thing after another. Cant go 100miles without fixing something. My patience is wearing thin.:2gunsfiring_v1::hippy biker:

Back