Finally got to ride my Max on some twisty roads!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
Boy, it doesn't like to be pushed hard in a corner!

I attended a V-Max rally in Bandera, Texas with a group mostly out of Houston and Dallas. There were 24 bikes there, mostly Gen 1. There were two Gen 2's, a Harley, a couple of ZX14's, One Ducati Streetfigther, some other bikes I can't remember, and I think one beemer and one Buell Ulysses.

I rode from Ennis, probably about 1400 miles over four days.

I have ridden the area a couple of years ago on my ZRX, so I'm familiar with the roads.

Anyway, back to my Max, when pushed hard, it likes to wobble or wiggle while leaned over. I could deal with it ok, but it was pretty bad.

It wasn't bad enough to really slow me down though, and I really had a blast. I don't think I would have gone any harder, even if the bike was more stable.

The tires worked decent (I have Shinko TourMasters, up one size on both ends) I never felt like they were gonna slip, or step out. The front would walk on grooves though.

I was able to use the front all the way to the edge, there was a little left on the rear.

My Brembo/ZRX front brake upgrade worked well. One finger was all I ever needed for stopping.

Anyway, it was a great weekend of riding, with some good company.

We missed you Rusty!

:punk:

Solid Motor Mounts.

That should take some of the wiggle out of the bike on the twisties.

What all do you have done?

Springs and shocks help a load too!

Frame braces and solid mounts hold everything tight.

Chris

You can also upgrade the suspenders; a nice camoflauge set should do nicely!
All kidding aside, upgrade the forks and shocks then make sure your swingarm/ steering head bearings are adjusted properly along with the solid engine mounts and/ or frame brace. To go beyond that will have you ordering new rims so you can fit radials or go even further by investing into a set of R1 front forks.:punk:

What all do you have done?

Springs and shocks help a load too!

Frame braces and solid mounts hold everything tight.

Chris

I have rece teched the forks (springs and emulators)

and I have ZRX KYB piggyback shocks on the rear.

The shocks are a bit longer than the stock pieces and have preload, rebound and compression adjustments.

I have experienced wallowing from the suspension being too soft, this was more like a wiggle or shimmy. More like side to side vs up and down.

I'm sure the solid mounts would help a lot.

Frame braces and mounts help more than you think. The frame is pretty weak.

The stock swing arm tends to wiggle a bit too.

Chris

I'm sure what I'm experiencing is perfectly normal for a bike set up like mine.

And it's nothing you couldn't "ride around"

I wonder how different it would have felt with the braces and mounts, and could I have railed around any better?

Just thinkg I guess,..............that's dangerous!

I'm sure what I'm experiencing is perfectly normal for a bike set up like mine.

And it's nothing you couldn't "ride around"

I wonder how different it would have felt with the braces and mounts, and could I have railed around any better?

Just thinkg I guess,..............that's dangerous!

It definitely stiffens the whole bike up! I don't do the mounts as I like an isolated engine, but the DW frame braces I have make a big difference. I think what I feel now is the swing arm and probably the 412's I had on it. Hopefully the 440's work a bit better.

Chris

. . . the DW frame braces I have make a big difference . . .

Chris

+1 on the DW frame braces. Mine also made a very noticeable improvement.

I found the "new" Max a very able mount over the weekend through some decent tests in the hills (and serious twisties) north of Phoenix. Best thing I've done yet. This weekend, (if the Progressive stuff arrives) I'll be lowering the bike an inch all around. Then I'm done. Really.

Attachments

• DSCF1870.jpg
    DSCF1870.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
Where can these frame braces be purchased? I tried searching on the internet but all I'm pulling up are forum threads of people saying that they like using them on their Vmax. Nothing about where to buy them.

braces are a great idea also check all bolts vibration does make bolts come loose. I use loctite on all bolts as I found they will even at tourqe spec loosen. remember bikes are only as good as rider and how well they takes care of his/her bike.

Good seeing you in Bandera. We also had a blast and all stayed safe.
I have had some Serious "wallering" problems in the past and most were due to tires being at the end of their life. Once i replaced the rubber alot of the wallering dissapeared.
I think you mentioned that you could not make the Eureka springs rally but we are going back to bandera again in the fall. maybe you can make that one?
Later
Michael Hansen

Back