Florida must be growing good weed!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1530256734.html

It appears that anyone buying a new max for more speed is wasting their money. All you need is an 89, change the exhaust, install stage 7, black mirrors and engine guards, (and a windshield) these mods will have you just a tick behind a 2010 model!!!:ummm: Also, from the asking price, it seems the 89 model is very collectible as I was unaware of. I wonder how much the 900cc 85 max would be worth had he kept that one! :rofl_200::clapping:

Well, if you pull the plug wire on one of the cyls, your running on 897cc maybe thats what he ment :rofl_200:

They do grow some nice things in Fla :punk:

Attachments

• florida.jpg
    florida.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1530256734.html

It appears that anyone buying a new max for more speed is wasting their money. All you need is an 89, change the exhaust, install stage 7, black mirrors and engine guards, (and a windshield) these mods will have you just a tick behind a 2010 model!!!:ummm: Also, from the asking price, it seems the 89 model is very collectible as I was unaware of. I wonder how much the 900cc 85 max would be worth had he kept that one! :rofl_200::clapping:
Concur my friend. I live in Pensacola and made him a reasonable offer on the bike. He's living in a dream world for what he wants. I ended up buying a 94 in absolutely pristine condition (looks like it came off the showroom floor) with only 9K mi for only 3,000 (and that included an extra set of cobra pipes, 2 brand new HJC matching helmets, service manual, K&N filter, new fluids, new Dunlop white letter tires, carb sync kit, sissy bar.. from a great guy in his late 50's that barely drove it, but maintained it like his baby..... yes, there are great deals out there.. unfortunately this guy is hard headed and thinks he has a showpiece that belongs in a museum... all the while, I'm enjoying this beauty I just bought!!!

Surprised no one brought this up but got to ask him if it has carb chains..if not then it's not worth the asking price

Carb chains not withstanding, this is equipped with a Kerker 2 into 1!!!

Boys....this the rare 2 cylinder model v max, I gotta have this machine!!

we know how bad your trying to start your own bike gang dan so maybe wait for one with 2 more cylinders, trust me you'll be much happier lol.

I sent him a nice email explaining the errors of his ways.

Sean

Sean, please post his reply (if he sends one.... this is too good)

I do hate to think that I love the same bike as this guy... :confused2:

Based off of that info, I'm pushing 180 to the rear (I'm using all four cylinders) and I'm able to cloak if the cops dog down on you. One flip of the switch and you disappear! Also this option was available only in the 97 model so I'm asking $12.500. Ive got some serious lookers so jump now if you want the best.

Based off of that info, I'm pushing 180 to the rear (I'm using all four cylinders) and I'm able to cloak if the cops dog down on you. One flip of the switch and you disappear! Also this option was available only in the 97 model so I'm asking $12.500. Ive got some serious lookers so jump now if you want the best.

:rofl_200:Buy you an old 73 Kaw Z1-900 fully restored with the right vin # and you might be in your price range.

Our conversations - read from the bottom up:
Later! You too.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 9:06 pm
Subject: RE: 1989 Vmax For Sale

I know of the 94 model the guy bought. It has issues. Have a good 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: 1989 Vmax For Sale
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:59:01 -0500

No problem. You will find other vmax guys in the area that know me well and I get around quite a bit to bike events. I am sure the dealer will charge that for the stage seven and header for sure but probably not just for the kit.

The 2010 must have been incredibly lamed up as we have run into plenty of them at the big Vmax events we attend (including a yearly dyno event). It is still to dang expensive for me and not all that good a deal compared to the old gen 1's.

It may be possible someone rebuilt the Corbin. We do seats too (and rework the corbins even). $2800 is high for a pile but they really don't get much less the $2200-$2500 even in crap condition. I sold a 2003 with 12K miles on it for $4000 a few months ago but it of course wasn't perfect but not bad either. I have my 2005 for sale with one of our overdrive 5th gear transmissions we sell for $6000. I know the price varies all over and your area should be more stable for bikes compared to here where we have snow on the ground right now. I am near Wichita Kansas.

Another guy looked at your bike in person and ended up buying a 94 with less miles and just as nice (so he says) for less money. There are deals around if the buyer looks hard enough. The bad thing on your bike is even though it has all the mods on it they really don't add that much to the selling price. Myself and a few others tend to buy those kind of bikes and sell the aftermarket parts off and put stock stuff back on and do pretty well.

Either way if you keep the bike I am sure you'll still have fun with it. I haven't owned as many differnet motorcycles as I tend to be a bit more loyal then that (65 bikes means not having them for very long generally). I have 4 vmax's at the moment (that are together) and enough to build probably another 10-15 more in parts.

Have a great new years and good luck on your sale.
Sean

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 6:51 pm
Subject: RE: 1989 Vmax For Sale

Well i do not disagree with some of what you are saying but I also have driving a 2010 V-Max and the 1985 and a 1994 and my 1989 and my 1989 is just about as fast as the 2010. As far as the cost to the stage 7 kit. That might just depend on what a dealer says the stage 7 consist of. In Pensacola two places says it is $1200 with labor. They are the dealer not me. I realize that long periods of setting is bad for a bike. This bike runs like it did when it was new and therefore I am 100% certain that is not the case. BY the way I have personally owned and driven over 65 different motorcycles So if you expect me to give in on you to experience, forget it. I driven them all just about and driven them all to redline. I admit I may be off on the horse power in the 1985 model vs the 1989 model. It was a long time ago and I was young then.I only remember ti was very fast like this one is. I did not pay anything for the kerker and header kit. The prior owner did and he was a police detective in Atlanta and had no reason to lie about it. The Memphis shade shooter windshield is wider than tall and therefore you do not have the HP draw on it as a taller shield would have, again i added it to make it more of a crusier with speed not a muscle bike for top muscle performance. if I wanted that I would not have added a shield at all. I did not say the engine guards was a stock type foot rest only that I personally used them for it but the suggestion you talked about makes sense to make it less slippery when used. Well I owned 6 bikes with corbin seats and this one is the only one that is soft to the butt. I am not positive it is a corbin myself. The prior ones was very hard and I did not like them at all. Mustang is my seat of choice. It may be a special order seat not sure, but it is a nice soft ride compared to stock seat. As far as being sued by a potential buyer, I did not represent myself as as v-max mechanic or expert only personal data and information I known through experience or talking to someone else. It would never hold up in court for mis-representation. Not in a million years. oh by the way I went to see a 1988 today from a dealer for $2800. It was a pile of junk. bad paint, bad chrome, bad pipes, broken turn signals etc etc etc. Based upon their bike my bike is valued at least 5K. As I said I do not have to sell it and it is in exceptional shape and could win trophy at a bike meet for prior to 1990 model bikes. I do not know what part of the country you live in but around here $4750 buys you a 3-6 year old cruiser with no power and if you are not careful rust, dents and bad running and maybe mechanical work.

Anyway, good thoughts. al B Pensacola

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: 1989 Vmax For Sale
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:43:57 -0500

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hello,

Please don't take this wrong. I am mearly trying to give you some constructive criticism. You add is starting to make the rounds on the Vmax forums due to the gross overstatements and incorrect descriptions.

A word on who I am. My name is Sean Morley and I run a small business specializing in the Yamaha Vmax motorcycles. You can find my website at www.MorleysMuscle.com Please feel free to check out the site a little.

I have copied your verbiage from the ad and will try to highlight the areas I see a problem with. The overall asking price is a bit high as you noted and as long as the bike was taken care of it doesn't really matter on the price. I think it may be worth more in the $3500-$4300 range depending on the overall condition. Even at the high end you may have some trouble selling it but as you know you can ask what you want.

Any by the way. I hope you don't think this is an attack but as noted more like friendly comments. Keep in mind that you can be sued for misrepresenting the bike if a potential buyer doesn't get the bike you are claiming to be providing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes I am asking about $1000 above book value for this bike but there is a logical reason:

It is valued as a motorcycle based on its exceptional overall running and looking condition and speed

CHECK THIS OUT:

MAKE;YAMAHA V-MAX 1200cc

HORSE POWER 160 YEP 160, NOT 40 OR 67 OR 70 WITH MOST OF ALL CRUISERS TO INCLUDE THE LARGER HARLEY'S AND THE LARGER CC JAPAN BIKES
I am not really sure where you are getting this HP number. In 1985 they rated the Vmax at 145 which was the crankshaft measured HP and not the rear wheel HP. More on this farther in your story here.

IT HAS BEEN COVERED AND GARAGED TIS WHOLE LIFE. NOT FOR A FEW A YEARS SINCE IT WAS BUILT IN 1989. This is very good info and will help your asking price a lot.

YES IT HAS VERY VERY LOW MILES FOR ITS YEAR BUT NOT SO LOW IT IS BAD FOR IT AT 26400 MILES Low mileage is not always good. It can mean long periods of sitting which is bad for seals, ect... Personally - I think the mileage is about right and not a problem at all. Much lower and I think it would be a problem for the potential buyer.

YES IT HAS BEEN MODIFIED FOR POWER, HANDLING AND EASE TO DRIVE

1. STAGE 7 KIT ON IT ($1200 OR MORE) ADDED ADDITIONAL 10 HORSE POWER. BASE WAS AROUND 150HP FOR THIS 1200cc BIKE.1ST YEAR OF THE 1200cc V-MAX
If you paid $1200 for the kit you got screwed. I am a Dynojet dealer and the retail isn't much over 20% if that price. Even with labor this should be no where near this price. See more in #2 comment.

2. KERKER TWO INTO 1 HIGH PERFORMANCE EXHAUST (THE PROPER ONE FOR THIS BIKE FOR ADDING POWER) First off. It's a 4-2-1 full header that is installed. I can't tell but it looks like the normal baffle (muffler outlet) that is 1.5". If so that's the most restrictive one they sell. The comp baffle (2.5") flows much better. I will note they make a 2" version too. The kerker requires cutting off the centerstand tabs (so that's one downside) but they do work well for making good power. Now, if you paid $1200 for the header AND the jet kit then that's much more believeable. I sell the Kerker's too and that would be a decent price (I sell them for less but the retail would be around that range). With the kerker and the jet kit it is entirely possible to get the 10HP added. A very well tuned 1200 engine will make 120-130 rwhp (the higher mileage bikes will make the bigger power). See my website for some dyno sheets.

3. LOWERED A FULL TWO INCHES REAR BY CHANGING OUT THE STOCK 13" REAR SHOCKS WITH PROGRESSIVE 11" PERFORMANCE SHOCKS. RIDES BETTER ALSO.
You didn't note which progressive shocks you used but it looks like the base shock which is the 412's. They are still better then stock. Did you lower the front too? It doesn't look like it. Normally the lowest you want to use is the 11.5" shocks due to elimination of travel but we've used even the 10.5" version (they shortest they make).

4. ADDED 2" HANDLE BAR RISERS TO ALLOW THE HANDLE BARS 2" CLOSER TO YOUR HAND FOR MORE EASE AT DRIVEN THE BIKE IN GENERAL LIKE A PURE CRUISER AND NOT A MUSCLE BIKE

5. CHANGED THE STOCK PLAIN MIRRORS FOR THE GOLF CLUB SHAPE BLACK MIRRORS TO MATCH THE TWO TONE COLOR OF THE BIKE I agree. The stock mirrors suck.

6. CHANGED THE STOCK HAND LEVELS TO CUSTOM BLACK ONES TO MATCH THE BIKE TWO TONE COLOR

7. CHANGED THE STOCK UGLY MASTER CYN COVER OUT FOR TWO CUSTOM V-MAX LOGO CHROME COVERS

8. ADDED SMALL ENGINE GUARD THAT IS DUEL PURPOSE. 1. PROTECTS ENGINE IN CASE OF A FALL AND 2. ALLOW YOU TO STRETCH YOUR LEGS OUT AND REST THEM ON THEM FOR LONGER RUNS The OEM crash gaurds you have on there work well as you noted but even the installation manual says they are not for foot rests. They still work quite well for that though (except the right side could be a bit longer). You can make them one step better by adding on some small sections of the grip tape (looks like sandpaper) that is available at the hardware stores.

9. NEW MEMPHIS SHADE SHOOTER SHIELD . THE BEST ONE FOR THIS BIKE PERIOD. This is a matter of personal preference. However, we have found the larger windscreends tend to give the bike a bit more instability at high speeds (triple digits).

10. CUSTOM CORBIN SOFT TOURING SEAT. The corbin seat is a BRICK! it's about the hardest seat you can get but we cure that easily enough (see the muscle seat section). That seat does work well for the passenger and taller riders. It makes it feel wider due to the wide thigh area. Like riding on top of the bike. I will say that this seat is still very good sale point but I would state it's the newer plug type and not the flap type. They are very expensive new.

OK NOW A WORD ABOUT THE V-MAX. I RODE THE VERY FIRST MODEL YEAR 900cc 1985. SUPPOSE TO BE THE FASTEST BIKE OFF A PRODUCTION LINE. IT WAS VERY FAST.
THE NEW 2010 MODEL HAS BEEN ADJUSTED TO 197 HORSE POWER BUT HAS MORE ELECTRONIC AND EMISSIONS CONTROLS ON IT SO IT IS ONLY ABOUT 1/10 OF A SECOND FASTER THAN MY 1989 WITH STAGE 7 KIT IN A QUARTER MILE (THAT IS NOT MUCH UNLESS YOU ARE AT A TRACK RACING IT AND YOU GOT A LOT OF $ ON IT)
Sorry but you are full of it here. The 85's were 1200 cc's and have remained virtually unchanged though 2007 when they were cut. If you have not run into a new vmax then be prepared to get your ass handed to you big time. They are considerably faster. I have ridden and worked on both. The 09/10 models are a full second to second and a half faster at the track and very noticeable on the street. Not to mention the increased brakes and handling. Having said that - it's still too dang overpriced and the old bikes are a far better bargain.

THE SUGGESTED RETAIL ASKING PRICE FOR A 2010 I UNDERSTAND BY CALLING A YAMAHA DEALER IS $19995 (EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN GET THEM A LITTLE LESS) PLUS TAX ON 20k, DEALER PREP CHARGE ETC ETC AND IT COMES TO AROUND $21000 FOR A NEW V-MAX. NEW MAX $21000 LOOKS GOOD RUNS FAST AND COST $21000. NO EXTRAS CLEAN STRAIGHT BIKE

MY 1989 WITH VERY VERY LOW MILES, LOOKS GOOD, IS VERY VERY FAST (ABOUT THE SAME SPEED AS THE 2010) COST OF $4750. I GOT OVER $2000 IN EXTRAS AND UPGRADES
See noted above.

SO THE QUESTION IS WHICH IS THE BETTER DEAL IF YOU ARE SERIOUS LOOKING FOR A MUSCLE BIKE THAT IS SIMILAR TO A CRUISER. $21000 FOR A NEW ONE THAT IS 1/10 OF A SECOND FASTER THAN MY 1989 WITH 26500 MILES OR $4750 FOR MY 1/10 SECOND SLOWER BIKE WITH $2000 OF NEEDED EXTRAS. PRETTY SIMPLE THOUGHT REALLY.

SO FOR ALL YOU BIKER AND WANT TO BE BIKERS THAT ARE TRULY LOOKING FOR A DEAL. THIS IS IT. YES THERE IS A NEWER ONE FOR LESS $ ON CRAIGSLIST RIGHT NOW. BUT LOOK AT THE BIKE ITSELF. ASK THE QUESTIONS ABOUT BEING GARGED IT WHOLE LIFE AND ITS EXTRAS AND IF TI NEEDS ANYTHING LIKE A NICE SHIELD, GREAT PIPES AND ADDED HORSE POWER AND ANY PAINT OR BODY DAMAGE AT ALL. THE STAGE 7 KIT ON MY BIKE WILL COST YOU FROM $1200 TO $1500 ALONE. CALL A YAMAHA DEALER AND TELL THEM YOU WANT TO ADD A STAGE 7 KIT TO A 90'S V-MAX AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY FOR PRICE. SHOCKS, SHIELD, GUARD, CORBIN SEAT. COST BIG BUCKS, CHECK THEM OUT.

THE KELLY BLUE BOOK MAY LSIT THIS 1989 V-MAX FOR AROUND $3000 OR SO BUT IT DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR ITS A+ CONDITION, ITS 10 ADDED HORSE POWER AND ITS $2000 OF EXTRAS AND IT LOOKS AND RUNS LIKE A 2007 MODEL BIKE AND IS ABOUT THE SAME SPEED OF THE NEW 2010 MODEL.

$4750. IT BUY YOU A 04 OR 05 800cc CRUISER WITH AROUND 40-60 HORSE POWER IF YOU ARE LUCKY. OR A LARGER 1400cc TO 1700cc CRUISER WITH MAYBE 75 HORSE POWER WITH SAME MILES AS MY BIKE BUT I BE VERY VERY HAPPY TO RACE YOU FOR 1/4 MILE TITLE FOR TITLE. AND YES I TALKING TO YOU HARLEY -V-ROD OWNERS AS WELL. I OWNED ALL THREE OF THE V-ROD MODEL, STREET ROD, NIGHT ROD AND THE REGULAR V-ROD AND AND MY BIKE IS FASTER, RIDES BETTER, SOUNDS BETTER AND IS MORE EASY TO DRIVE.
I agree that the Vmax is a far superior bike to the V-Rod (and most other Harley models).

I THINK IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT SPEED, POWER, COMFORT AND DEPENDABILITY $4750 DOES NOT SOUND THAT BAD DOES IT?

CELL 850-512-2944

I AM RETIRED 58 AND LOOKING TO GO DOWN IN SPEED ONLY REASON I AM SELLING IT. IT NEEDS NOTHING AND IS A GREAT BIKE HAS POWER UP THE YOU KNOW WHAT. SO IF YOU GOT A SMALLER BIKE (IN POWER , WHICH IS 99% OF THEM) AND WANT TO TRADE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE) IT MUST BE IN EXCELLENT SHAPE AND LOOKS GOOD THOUGH NO JUNK AND VALUED AT AROUND 5k

JUST LOOKED AT A 1988 V-MAX SOMEONE WANTED $2800 FOR. IT IS REALLY BAD, TORN SEAT, RUST, PAINT BAD, LOOKS TERRIBLE RUNS BAD NO EXTRAS EXCEPT UGLY RUSTED PIPES.. BASED UPON THEM ASKING $2800 FOR A PIECE OF NOTHING $4750 FOR MY BIKE IS A STEAL.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Again, I don't want to be negative to you on here but mearly add my comments and let you make your own decision. Your asking price isn't all that far off but it may be a hard sale in todays economy.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

I sent him a nice email explaining the errors of his ways.

Sean

Your wasting your breath sean, the guy is wacked... I paid to much for mine but curcumstances dictated it, and I have NO!!!!! regrets. but this guy lives in OZ!!

sean you seem to be pretty polite with this dude but have to agree with shorthair, think your wasting your breath. Good for you for trying to help this guy see the errors of his way but seems that riding 65 bikes and not remembering a bike from the eights overrules what ever you tell him. oh well what ya gonna do ey!!

I love this guy...I mean really, where are you gonna get drama like this?
Its these interesting douche bags that brings a breath of fresh air to our group. I'm glad I'm on this side though, course I'm not a shit talker....Nooo, not me.

Remember that guy selling a pristine max that looked like it was put together by Frankenstein not to long ago? Or anyone remember the guy selling a max on ebay that had the side covers under the seat ON THE WRONG SIDE? How'd he do that?:ummm: Oh and my personal fav even though it wasn't a max, the guy that got his hand caught in the sprocket cuz he was cleaning his chain while in gear? You can't get this entertainment in front of the tube.
Ahhhh, ya know I think its true what they say about laughter, its good medicine. I feel better.

So what kinda oil you guy's using?

Latest posts

Back