Fork oil leaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex85

Reaction score
Noticed this morning that my fork oil seems to be leaking from the left fork by the rubber gasket near the brace. My main question is how urgent of a problem is this? Can I just ignore it for now and get to it eventually without doing any damage?

It should be addressed, because it ends up on rotors and can effect braking. Also handling will suffer as you loose it on one side. Try cleaning the seals first. Motion Pro makes some nice thin cleaning products. I've used old 35mm film cut with a radius, to clean the seals. I'll bet there's a sticky on that.

I think he should have done the dust seal the same way. It does work, what he's used. If your tubes have chips where the fork seal wipes, you're gonnat have to replace the downtubes.

The #1 danger is if you lose oil onto your brakes, you're gonna set yourself up for a disaster, as our New England brother mentioned.

Thanks for the tips, going to try the steps in the video and see if that corrects the problem. Thanks guys!

If you have to change the seal do NOT buy the aftermarket. Make sure you get the Yamaha seals. They cost more but they are the only ones that are any good.
There have been a few posts on this problem.

We were out on a off road riding trip over memorial day. My cousin bought a brand new rmz450 about a month before. He had ridden it a couple weekends before our trip.

After unloading all the bike and quads I noticed his front hub was a bit oily looking. He said his fork thingy has been leaking (he is mechanically inept).

I cut a piece of plastic out of a water bottle and squeezed it between the seal and fork tube after removing the dust guard.

There was a bunk of mud jammed under the dust seal. After cleaning the oil seal it hasn't leaked since.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Plastic bottle piece method seems to have worked perfectly! No more leaks for the past 24 hours and nothing after riding it in to work this morning.

As always this forum is the best on the internet. Thanks guys!

I have changed the seals of my forks and it went really well following the video that was suggested to me.
A friend had made a long T tool so I was able to take it apart and tide with the torque specs.

But, one side start leaking a lot short after the change, and the other side started leaking a little after about 2 months.

The side that is leaking more, I tried cleaning with the cleaning tool I bough but it did not do the job.

Any suggestions about why this is happening before I just buy 2 more seals and redo the job?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have changed the seals of my forks and it went really well following the video that was suggested to me.
A friend had made a long T tool so I was able to take it apart and tide with the torque specs.

But, one side start leaking a lot short after the change, and the other side started leaking a little after about 2 months.

The side that is leaking more, I tried cleaning with the cleaning tool I bough but it did not do the job.

Any suggestions about why this is happening before I just buy 2 more seals and redo the job?

Thanks!
Did you use genuine Yamaha seals when you did the replacement?
Many forum members have said the aftermarket seals do not last. Buy the original item.
Cheers!

If your fork tube chrome isn't perfect, no defects, don't bother re-doing the seals. Try Forking by Frank for replacement downtubes, instead of the stock OEM tubes, which are $$$$. Or you can look for some clean used ones. Some rubber gaiters over them may help them to resist nicks in the chrome.

Also if your upper bushing is worn out, the seals won't last long.

I used genuine Oil seals, and the one possibility (improbable) was that I have installed the seals upside down. On Haynes Repair Manual it says: "...slide it over tube so that its markings face upward..."
So, it seems to be correct as shown on the picture attached.

Any suggestions? Or I should get another new seals and replace them again?

Thanks

picture.php

Do you see any nicks or anything like that on the down tubes? I know in Seans video, he places tape across the top of the fork, to prevent nicks in the seals, as they are being slid onto the fork.

(and sorry, and went back and reread you post, and see where you said that they were installed with the writing face up)

Last edited:
Before disassembling again, I tried using Seal Mate tool. No changes.
I'm gonna order new seals and when it arrives, I will take apart and inspect the tubes to see if there is any damage.

Before disassembling again, I tried using Seal Mate tool. No changes.
I'm gonna order new seals and when it arrives, I will take apart and inspect the tubes to see if there is any damage.

If your motion pro seal mate didn't work you most likely have a torn seal.

Do you see any nicks or anything like that on the down tubes? I know in Seans video, he places tape across the top of the fork, to prevent nicks in the seals, as they are being slid onto the fork.

(and sorry, and went back and reread you post, and see where you said that they were installed with the writing face up)

I'm a little confused about this app. Is this conversation showing on the Web version of Vmaxforum.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I have to get more familiar with this site and Tapatalk. I just noted that they mirror each other.

Latest posts

Back