found small amout of gas in air filter box

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmax9

Reaction score
Have an 04 Vmax. Was installing the K&N air filter. When I had the stock filter out, I noticed a small, thin layer of gas in the front left of the air box when sitting on bike (so closest to clutch level versus throttle). Is that ok? If not, what could be the cause and is this something I need to fix?

Thanks in advance.
Derek

You say it was a layer of gas, or was it a puddle.
Not sure how gas could get up in the air box

Where are you at in Cali?:ummm:

I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita... maybe an hour and half or so both south and inland from San Pedro.

I'll double-check tomorrow (as I was holding my daughter while changing out the filter), but I'd say it was a very thin layer. I'm hoping I was wrong. =)

Cool, let us know. It could just be some vapor from the engine that condensed in there.

I know where you are at. Have a friend that lives that way. There are a few others around here on the board. Vmax626 and Noxx72. They live even further north than I do. We will have to all get together for a tune/wrech day. I would be willing to host, BBQ and all.
Cheers

Both sound like good ideas (me letting you know after double-checking... hoping it's what you suggested and the tune/wrench get-together).

Back when I had my 94 Vmax, I was riding with the So Cal VMOA chapter. Lost touch with most of them after I sold it though....

could be oil? the breather hose comes up there and u'll find oil in there every once in a while.

Re: it was oil in air filter box

Garrett, you were right. It was oil. Just a thin layer in some spots. I shouldn't worry then?

agreed. i find it happened easier (when i first got the bike) when the oil was getting shitty. changed the oil and it didn't happen again (until now, but thats another issue).

also make sur eu don't fill oil above the top fill line. i know a lot of guys do so their oil light doesn't go on, but thats def a well known 'it is what it is' issue.

Back