Frame swap?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
I'm starting my frame swap project this afternoon... salvage title bike plus clean title frame equals happy insurance agent!

Anyway, I'm used to working on Ducati's, where the engine is a stressed member of the frame. Most of them would start a complete rebuild by putting the engine on a jack or stand of some kind, lowering the frame over top of it, and then bolting on the rest of the parts. What's the order for a Vmax? I've seen lots of pictures of what appear to be a complete rolling chassis with everything except engine.

Take a look at the recent engine mount replacement. THAT will help you out some.

You need to remove ALL ancillary parts first and then the heart of the beast will come out pretty easily. Take 10 times more pics then you think you need and use us as a sounding board.

Chris

I am positive if you use the "search" function on this site that you will find what you need. In a nutshell, you are starting at the airbox and getting to all the electrical connections. You can pull exhaust, radiator,fuel,clutch, lines now. From there you will remove shaft housing from motor. Then you can pull right frame part off with all the motor mount bolts. It's heavy so you must block up the motor or have a lift. It is a big job first time with lots of tilting wiggling, cussing but it comes out. I suggest video taping the process for later reference. Don' forget shop manual too! Let us know how it goes! PATMAX

It's not all that bad but it's easier when you have a Chinese blue print (an actual bike you can compare with). Wiring is about the last thing to come off and pay attention to the routing so you can get it back right. There isn't a lot of room on most harnesses for mislocated wiring.

The engine would be one of the first things I take out and last to go back in. I may have a few pics of the build process of our two face bike that would help.

Sean

Hey Sean, did you or anyone for that matter see the DVD from Damian F. doing an engine tear down/rebuild available on eBay? Wish someone could do that for a full tear down/rebuild on a whole bike. There are a lot of talented people out there!

Back