Front caliper/master options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianne

Reaction score
So I want to upgrade the brakes on my '88. I have a complete front-end off a '96 Vmax so I'll use those 43mm forks (will get aftermarket springs). I would also like some R1-style calipers and a new master cilinder. Money is an issue, so I'll try to find the parts used.

I've read through the forum and found a lot of usefull information but some things are still not 100% clear to me or maybe I just need some confirmation... bear with me please.

1. I get that the R1 calipers are a direct bolt on, great! From what I've read here, all years will do as long as they're not radial mount, yes? same goes for R6 calipers, right? What about those from a Fazer, they appear the same? Any other Yamaha's use the same calipers? This would make the search easier.

2. I would like a 14mm master with mirror mount. From what I've read, a 2003 FJR m/c will work but is a bit harder to find. What about an XJR or Fazer master? Any other options (with adjustable lever, please)?

3. Is it wise to get a clutch master at the same time to even out the look? Will any model work? Do all Yamahas have inversed thread in the mirror mount (can't remember wich side)?

4. I already have ss braided lines on both the '88 and '96 front. Can I re-use them? I read something about the angle of the banjo fitting ...

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to be informed as best as possible before I fork over my hard earned dinero.

Thanks,
Pianne

Oh yea, I will install HH pads too, offcourse!

1) The 1999-2003 R1 and R6 calipers will work, as well as from various years of the FZ1, Warrior cruiser, FJR, etc. The calipers are very easy to identify by sight, and were used on many different models.

2,3) Really, any modern 14mm MC for 7/8 bars will work, it all about the looks. People go with the older style FJR because it matches the existing Max clutch MC and offers the tab for the mirrors. If using bar end mirrors, you could just go with the R1 or similar style, but would have to change the clutch as well for it to match. The FJR is the only one that I know of that will match well with the factory Max clutch master. The R1 calipers can be found cheaply on E-Bay. I scored mine for $35, but they usually go for more. I think that all the Yamaha's use the reverse pitch thread on the right side (brake master).

4) You can re-use the SS lines, but the R1 calipers has the brake line mount higher on the caliper than the factory Max calipers and so the line will be a little long. No concern though, you can cross the lines to take up the slack.

i have an FJR clutch master and and XJR brake master.

the brake side can be sourced from Yamaha fzs 1000, fz1, fz1s, fjr1300, xjr1300
. it also came on some of the 650/750's as well. it is not that hard to drill and tap the mirror if you get one not pre-drilled.

I have only seen the clutch on the FJR1300 on this side of th
e pond and kinda hard to come by.

Thank you for your replies.
I will buy a set of calipers off eBay and then I guess I'll just pay the local bike-salvage a visit and see what he has in terms of masters. I can drill and tap ok, but I don't have a reverse pitch tap, so I'll look for something already tapped.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing the better stopping power, as the stock brakes on my '88 have made my heart miss a few beats on several occasions in the past...

Anyway, I need to get the motor installed and get the damn thing running first, so I'm off to the garage again!

Thank you for your replies.
I will buy a set of calipers off eBay and then I guess I'll just pay the local bike-salvage a visit and see what he has in terms of masters. I can drill and tap ok, but I don't have a reverse pitch tap, so I'll look for something already tapped.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing the better stopping power, as the stock brakes on my '88 have made my heart miss a few beats on several occasions in the past...

reverse Tap= just use a regular tap and a left hand/ side mirror,works fine.

Stopping power- I would upgrade the master first, I only did the master on my 91 and I can put it up on the front wheel. (stock pads) Same opinion given on Vmax Outlaw site http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/r1_caliper_conversion.htm

good luck!

I ordered a set of new mirrors from exactrep. I'll see what kind of thread they use and go from there. They should arrive some time this week.

The newer calipers from the donor bike are leaking all over the place, so instead of rebuilding them, I figure I can just as well get a R1 set even if it's just for looks...

Still haven't installed the engine yet though... and I have to figure out how to wire the ignition box. Will keep you posted.

Back