front suspension clang

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
Ok, I have been riding on my current setup since early this season of ricor intimidators and progressive springs lowered by 1" internally. Riding today at lower speeds I noticed a clang if I hit a bump. Normal riding is responsive, but hitting bumps makes a clanging sound. Could this be due to a loose steering head bearing nut? Just pushing on the front forks all seem fine all in all.... Suggestions to try?

Thanks in advance!

Wow ????? My front suspension bottomed out before I got the swap out forks from Sean. Mine now have Race Tec Springs, Gold emulators,
BG Fluid.

To clang, I'd think you would have a tremendous wobble at speed. It would do this if the steering head were very loose maybe. But I'd think you'd see it in other ways too.

Too tight would make it wander but definitely not clang.

Maybe, lift the front tire off the ground and check for a lot of steering head play.

I hope someone else can jump in with more ideas. Good Luck

Ok, I have been riding on my current setup since early this season of ricor intimidators and progressive springs lowered by 1" internally. Riding today at lower speeds I noticed a clang if I hit a bump. Normal riding is responsive, but hitting bumps makes a clanging sound. Could this be due to a loose steering head bearing nut? Just pushing on the front forks all seem fine all in all.... Suggestions to try?

Thanks in advance!

i had a clang from hitting the stops in mine before i changed the seals and oil - went 15w which slowed everything down a bit... if yours are not/have not been leaking, though, not sure if this is related to your issue. it would seem, however, that if this clang started during the season, seals are either getting worn or maybe something has come loose internally... or loose on steering head :ummm:

If it was something loose or worn within the forks I would expect a 'Knock' rather than a 'Clang'.

Could it be the pads knocking against the disk?

If it is fork related I'd check in the following order:

1) Head bearings

2) Static sag (one of my mantra's - it can make a HUGE difference to the ride!)

3) Slider bushes

If it was something loose or worn within the forks I would expect a 'Knock' rather than a 'Clang'.

Could it be the pads knocking against the disk?

If it is fork related I'd check in the following order:

1) Head bearings

2) Static sag (one of my mantra's - it can make a HUGE difference to the ride!)

3) Slider bushes

I will begin to troubleshoot later today. As to sag, when pressing down upon the front in, there is very little travel so I know its not sag. Its a very firm ride. I will check the head bearings first then figure out what the slider bushing is since im not familiar with it.

Thanks...

Bare in mind that it could be too little sag!

You should aim for between 25 - 30 mm. Can post the method if you need reminding. It's not as simple as pushing down on the forks.

Mike

Also do you have the Furbur washer between the ring nuts? I've also heard it could be the stem hitting the steering head nut underneath it.

Max Midnight good to see you over. I don't visit Chat as much as before.

I get a clang every time I ride over a bump, but it's from the rear Progressive shocks - as the suspension extends fully it always knocks. I thought it was normal, but have no idea about the front.

I also used the Intimators with Progressive springs at the front, 5W oil but not lowered at all.

Mike

Also do you have the Furbur washer between the ring nuts? I've also heard it could be the stem hitting the steering head nut underneath it.

Max Midnight good to see you over. I don't visit Chat as much as before.

Hi Tom,

No, I never did the furbur fix since I never had a wobble. I have reversed the pattern of the washers on previous bikes, but since I never had that issue, I didnt bother. I will check top out with sag settings. It has ridden fine since I did the upgrade this past winter and now all the sudden its doing it so I am not sure sag was the issue here.

Ok, its not suspension. Rolled the bike out of the garage this morning at 4am for work. As I was walking it down my driveway to the street where I start it to minimize the noise, I hear the clanging sound. I have a hunch now that its the new HID setup. There are two 2" x 3" modules that were tucked away in the left scoop and above the engines rubber heat barrier. I think the one above the engine is the culprit hitting against the frame. I never zip tied it down. I will take a look at this later. Fat chance I'm giving up my HID setup. This thing is amazing and gives me even more grinz when riding at night with my LED's!!!

Another place you can get a clang is the radiator fan. bang on the radiator to see if the fan is to culprit. i know mine has given me issue in the past and it took awhile before I figured it out.

Mike

Ok, sorry it so long guys to get back on this issue. I havent had the time to ride. Today I hand washed my thoroughly and guess what I found? My right caliper top bolt was missing and the lower bolt was loose. WOW, tragedy waiting to happen!!!! I have tightened all caliper bolts down and all is good now.......

Note to self.....need to start going over the bike to assure all pertinent bolts/parts are thoroughly tightened!

thanks to everyone and their suggestions.

Latest posts

Back