Fuel Mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The VMAX has a big apatite for fuel. I really think it should get better then 30/gal best. What has always supprised me is how little the milage changes when riding. If I'm running mostly 3000-4000 rpm or 4000-5000, mountains and twisties it Highway at 80 mph seems I always get low fuel at around 100.

It seems it's the hard acceleration that really does in the mpg

...fuel mileage...bleh...who cares!

LOL, unfortunately at the rally in Eureka Springs several of the Gen 2's have pulled into a gas station with the fuel light blinking. Right now I have the A/F at 14.2 at 4500. Problem is I dont know how lean the gen 2 can go. Even at 10% increase (at 20 mpg) is an additional 8 miles per tank.

On a second generation VMAX I'm lucky to get 80 miles out of a tank City driving maybe a hundred if I'm free way my gas gauge light starts blinking right around 70 miles if I'm in the city so yeah it gets thirsty

The tank is small......but when the light comes on you still have a 1/4 of a tank left.

So still about 1 gallon. Won't get you terribly far, but further than you might think..... around 25 miles give or take.

Need more gas?
I saw a universal tank that looks like a tool bag mounted on the frt forks. This was a few years ago but i think it was a 1/2 gal .
I also saw an oversexed tank that replaces the stock tank but I think it would be a tough replacement.
Bob Vmax from New Hampshire

I went from Mass to Stugis way back in 1995 and was kinda concerned about running out of gas out in the mid west. Almost did run out, so I became a High Plains Drifter
I cut speed down to 45 mph and drifted in slooww
I had thought about using the radiator overflow tank as a 2nd gas tank, but never did try it
Bob Vmax from New Hampshire

gas mileage i think would be better if we didnt have 12 hole fuel injectors x 4 theres some big fuel flow as opposed to 2 hole injectors less fuel better milage just a thought i love the bike the way it is just a blast to drive mine is a 2016 vmax i bought new

...fuel mileage...bleh...who cares!
Exactly didn't buy either for milage just power lol
I was shocked when I bought my 2015 brand new, never had a new bike before this. Fuel light came on with 75 miles on it - I thought "well maybe the dealer didn't fill it up all the way". It was so new I could still smell the paint curing on the engine while I was driving it around. Now I'm just used to filling it up at 75 miles. Best I've gotten it 95 miles on a tank, but I haven't let it run out yet. It eats tires and guzzles fuel!
But it's Damm fun yessssssss

Well gentlemen I took the street glide out today, I love my vmax!
BUT it's nice to have a 240 mile range, its big slow heavy as hell. But we went out and about for 6 hrs today. At times I think I should a went for the Kawasaki vaquero, but my wife is into the Harley thing,HAPPY WIFE= HAPPY LIFE, most of the time lol

I have been averaging around 30mpg with a few spirited runs during the drive. I’m going to do some longer road trips this summer so I’m going to see what I can get if I restrain myself just for fun. I have a ‘79 GS1000 & a ‘77 KZ1000, both original, lower mileage bikes and they will usually return mid 40’s but obviously less displacement and about half the hp compared to the Max. Just interesting to note.

I honestly don't understand why these bikes have such poor gas mileage. I understand that is is a big motor, and spinning a lot of metal and pushing a lot of weight.. but at a steady 70 MPH it would seem like getting 40+ MPG should have been achievable. I have a 79 CBX [6 Cyl 48 valve] Lots going on... And the gas mileage on that is much better. I never really checked it other then after 150 miles there is still plenty of gas in the tank which is 5 gal.

I get about 40 mpg on my Gen1 when cruising with occasional hard acceleration runs when space allows. Not terrible for the power this thing has

I'd love to know where you found a 48 valve CBX...

On a good day, I might get 35 MPG on my 79 CBX - but it spends a lot of time north of 7000 RPM. The Valk is all over the map between 30 and 38. My 78 gl1000 routinely gets over 40. I was very pleased over the weekend, when my first generation 86 Max got 36 to 38 on the road trip into the mountains.

Last edited:
When I need gas mileage I ride the '06 Goldwing...when I really wanna have fun it requires the VMAX and stopping at more gas stations..a man's gotta do what he's gotta do! :)

big air kit, marks mid pipe, oem cans, nash flash, 240 rear wheel, running 93 octane Ive averaged 28.6 over 10,000 miles. Using 90 octane NON ethanol from a store kind of close t me, I get about +1mpg. If I remember correctly Tim tunes his ECUs to use 89 safely since not everyone can get 92+ Or did I imagine that

Latest posts

Back