garrett's tuning/dyno thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dropped my mains. felt a little richer if anything. could be the 87% humidity. willl try again in the next couple days.

i was able to powershift a wheelie after about 30 mins of playing around, something that i was only able to do no more than 10 mins after playing around before.

last night:

70's, 90's% humidity

seems that curise at 6.5k to redline tests, 3/4 - 7/8 throttle pulls harder than WOT. i think that may show i'm still rich? not sure...

gonna try again today.

80's, 40 - 50% humidity.

my needles also need to be shimmed or lowered a clip. cruise is a tiny tiny bit lean. which makes sense since it was right on before i lowered my mains.

ok, hopefully people are still paying attention to this thread. couple questions...

i am running vboost always open. LOVE the midrange, don't feel like i lost anything on the top end either.

1. i have to have it idle about 1200 as it idles rougher than before. normal eh?

2. its running MUCH richer. now i think my mains (at 160) are good from the dyno, but its the midrange that richened up like crazy eh? so should i drop my needles a couple notches probably? i'm getting about 31-32 mpg where i was at like 35 before i did vboost always open.

to follow up that question, why does having vboost make the bike go rich? whats wrong with the logic, that if its breathing from 2 carbs, its just pulling 1/2 the amt of mixture from each carb right? so shouldn't it be the same ratio it was before? but just 'more' mixture?

V-boost open does make the bike richer at lower rpm's. You can try dropping the needles and see if that helps you.

Sean

'Sup Brother?! Yeah, I'm still alive, sorry I've not been in touch lately.

You mentioned you're running full-time boost; did you get it figured out or just bypass it to keep it on no matter what? I was thinking about whether or not running the v-boost too soon would make it run rich as well. I know Sean's already jumped in there but I'm puzzled as well. Unless the cylinder can pull the added fuel but not the added air, I would have to think it would simply be as you said, more mixture. I only know enough to confuse people though. :biglaugh:

Running rougher at idle... mine does the same thing.

L8r Biggen...

ok, hopefully people are still paying attention to this thread. couple questions...

i am running vboost always open. LOVE the midrange, don't feel like i lost anything on the top end either.

1. i have to have it idle about 1200 as it idles rougher than before. normal eh?

2. its running MUCH richer. now i think my mains (at 160) are good from the dyno, but its the midrange that richened up like crazy eh? so should i drop my needles a couple notches probably? i'm getting about 31-32 mpg where i was at like 35 before i did vboost always open.

to follow up that question, why does having vboost make the bike go rich? whats wrong with the logic, that if its breathing from 2 carbs, its just pulling 1/2 the amt of mixture from each carb right? so shouldn't it be the same ratio it was before? but just 'more' mixture?

V-boost open does make the bike richer at lower rpm's. You can try dropping the needles and see if that helps you.

Sean

good stuff. i'm at 3 notch down and shimmed. maybe i'll try just the second notch down w/out shims.

i think i'm pretty close with my mains so its plus or minus a shim on the needle at this point.

'Sup Brother?! Yeah, I'm still alive, sorry I've not been in touch lately.

You mentioned you're running full-time boost; did you get it figured out or just bypass it to keep it on no matter what? I was thinking about whether or not running the v-boost too soon would make it run rich as well. I know Sean's already jumped in there but I'm puzzled as well. Unless the cylinder can pull the added fuel but not the added air, I would have to think it would simply be as you said, more mixture. I only know enough to confuse people though. :biglaugh:

Running rougher at idle... mine does the same thing.

L8r Biggen...

i was wondering what happened to ya.

i put a new switch in that either cuts the power to vboost or keeps it stock. so i stop it halfway thru its cycle and leave it open. midrange power is rediculous, just running rich now a bit. this way i can turn it back to stock on the fly, and then even turn it off completely, but i' dhave to stop to open it back up again (or switch the power to off above 8k rpms).

ok so dropped the needle from 3.5 notches down to 2.5 notches down. leaned it out too mcuh. stumble at 3.5k could probably goto notch 3, instead of 3.5, but this way i'm good on vboost always open or stock.

is my idle circuit probably rich as fuck? causing the not so great mileage?

Latest update.

So I wanted to get my midrange a bit leaner and was hoping for some better mileage. I was getting around 33 mpg normally and sometimes near 40 if cruising at like 55-65 mph.

So when I went in the shop I had:

160 mains, stage 7 needles, 3.5 clips, 177.5 paj2s, stock springs, drilled slides. a/f screws all over the place (set correctly w/out vboost) and vboost always on.

not great results, so we leaned the needle out a full clip and these were the results (two runs but one line is left muffler and one run is the right) I believe the richer one is the right but need to confirm...:

we then decided that with vboost always on we needed a smaller main. went to a 155 and left everything else the same:

Probably the best run but we thought we could go a tiny bit richer on the needle so went from 2.5 to 3 and then had the wicked richer right side (i know for a fact the right side is richer here).

by that time i had enough time to double check my diaphragms and needles and go home. it was 9pm and he had worked with me for 5 hours on it. well actually i did all the labor he just told me what changes to make.

so anyways, anyone have any idea what to look for as to why they right side went that way? i'm curious now because it looks like the original run after just the needle change does a similar thing.

the off idle is amazing now. he reset my a/f screws with the vboost on and it made quite a difference. maybe i'm just being anal and its time to leave it alone! I will leave it for a bit, run some seafoam make sure nothing got trapped and see what kind of mileage i get with every day riding.

so with it set now garrett what are you running for turns on the a/f screws and what kind of mileage are you getting. seems like 35 is low but at what speed is that? what kind of driving?

i actually cleaned out the mains, made sure they were all seated, synched the carbs and leaned the needles .5 clip which was what it was before that run and it pulled a hair under 120 and one run it actually skipped the tire on the drum. its a little stumbly until it warms up (if no choke) and once warmed up runs great. Bill and I were neck and neck with 3rd gear 4-5k rpm roll ons to 4th gear redline and a bit into 5th...

right now for mileage I am seeing:

superslab - 80-90 mph - 37-39 mpg
normal driving (probably 60% highway) - 35mpg

i actually cleaned out the mains, made sure they were all seated, synched the carbs and leaned the needles .5 clip which was what it was before that run and it pulled a hair under 120 and one run it actually skipped the tire on the drum. its a little stumbly until it warms up (if no choke) and once warmed up runs great. Bill and I were neck and neck with 3rd gear 4-5k rpm roll ons to 4th gear redline and a bit into 5th...

right now for mileage I am seeing:

superslab - 80-90 mph - 37-39 mpg
normal driving (probably 60% highway) - 35mpg

superslab??? that means taking it easy? 80-90mph holy moly thats good.

i was getting 42mpg at 75-78 on the way to BRC only 38-39 on the way back but i was fighting a stupidly high head wind all the way, crazy amounts was no fun driving home in it for 4.5 hrs.

think bill's is a little quicker then mine but we didnt line them up just waited til he hit it and tried to keep up. its not far off but its also not tuned perfect yet, getting close though. need to get on that dyno by your place and see.

superslab??? that means taking it easy? 80-90mph holy moly thats good.

i was getting 42mpg at 75-78 on the way to BRC only 38-39 on the way back but i was fighting a stupidly high head wind all the way, crazy amounts was no fun driving home in it for 4.5 hrs.

think bill's is a little quicker then mine but we didnt line them up just waited til he hit it and tried to keep up. its not far off but its also not tuned perfect yet, getting close though. need to get on that dyno by your place and see.

maybe not taking it easy but relatively small throttle changes. yea it was windy as hell the whole weekend. oh well it is what it is...

bill may have had a slight slight jump on me but hard to tell if that was just because he was calling it or not. also, 25 lb difference in riders, tire circumference may play part of it. i remember last year with danny with marks pipes and some shims in his needles we were neck and neck on 3rd/4th gear roll ons but from 2nd gear roll ons he couldn't catch up since I had vboost always once i got the jump.

as far as a dyno, i have 2 near me. one is the guy who did mine and another I have a gift certificate (won it for donating to a rider who got hit with cancer) which I would have no problems letting go real chap for a base line whos about hour and a half away from me...

maybe not taking it easy but relatively small throttle changes. yea it was windy as hell the whole weekend. oh well it is what it is...

bill may have had a slight slight jump on me but hard to tell if that was just because he was calling it or not. also, 25 lb difference in riders, tire circumference may play part of it. i remember last year with danny with marks pipes and some shims in his needles we were neck and neck on 3rd/4th gear roll ons but from 2nd gear roll ons he couldn't catch up since I had vboost always once i got the jump.

as far as a dyno, i have 2 near me. one is the guy who did mine and another I have a gift certificate (won it for donating to a rider who got hit with cancer) which I would have no problems letting go real chap for a base line whos about hour and a half away from me...

interesting :hmmm: is that dyno a decent place do you know? for sure thats what i need is a baseline then i can finish the tuning, also gotta look for a vboost set up just the vavles to have on there for the sync. think i got it nailed but just to try then leave open. between your tool, dans carb tune, my weber and just me sync it with ear/feel they all came out the same. excpet with weber on carb 2 showed little vacume but all other three methods were bang on perfect

congrats garrett! i know it feels good when you get it dialed in! :clapping:

Thanks man!

Ro-> maybe we could work something out with the guy, one of us uses the gift card and ones pays him but we both just pay fo rhalf, so liek $30 for a run i think. i dunno just an idea. i'd like to see what a different dyno says mine is at.. plus it'd be fun going w/someone.

Thanks man!

Ro-> maybe we could work something out with the guy, one of us uses the gift card and ones pays him but we both just pay fo rhalf, so liek $30 for a run i think. i dunno just an idea. i'd like to see what a different dyno says mine is at.. plus it'd be fun going w/someone.

ya man im up for that for sure. not sure i wont be able to until late summer or fall just cause of work. i just extended my stay a couple of days here but not sure i would have time this week to burn down there......maybe

Back