gas/fuel/petrol mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: gas mileage

well, rode to eureka springs and back (as well as around there) and with 2 people on and luggage I still got 45mpg and I don't think I even dropped lower then 40mpg bucking into a strong headwind on the way there. Thats with a stock bore, milled block, larger cams, ported heads and one of our jet kits. Average speed on the way was 75mph and 80mph on the way home. Not sure how much the overdrive contributed to it but it sure was nice not having the engine screaming all the way.

The two guys there with flatslides (1428cc longrod and 1500cc tourmaster) got an average of 22-25mpg.

Sean Morley

I've worked my way from 91 to 87 octane and can't tell the difference except in my fuel bill. I had the bike tuned to lean it from an over-rich condition. MPG went from 30 to 38, but now the mid-range roll-on is weaker than before. I'm hoping to be able to adjust the PAJ a step richer to improve the mid-range and not hurt mpg too much. I haven't worked on carbs before, so I'm not quite confident enough to tackle it yet. I've been searching for how-to info and am getting close. I'm sure some of you guys can do it in your sleep, but I'm a newb. :)

Neil

I am not familiar with that exhaust but I do know the needles control the midrange.A shim might richen it to where you want it.Are these carbs stock?

I averaged 23 to pittsburhgh and back yesterday with flatslides.Sat in a 1/2 hour traffic jam and hit about 40 traffic lights.I hate city driving,thank god I live in the country.I could not deal with that daily.

I averaged 23 to pittsburhgh and back yesterday with flatslides.Sat in a 1/2 hour traffic jam and hit about 40 traffic lights.I hate city driving,thank god I live in the country.I could not deal with that daily.

How do you like your flatsides Shawn?
Big difference?

Yah,I like them.Its funny that most people think it sounds like its going to blow up or something from the clacking they make.I did the first time I heard one.It sounds really cool when you accelerate,kinda like a jet engine whine winding up.

I am not familiar with that exhaust but I do know the needles control the midrange.A shim might richen it to where you want it.Are these carbs stock?
Carbs and jets are stock as far as I know. Is there a place where I can buy a pack of shims? Please don't say Radio Shack.

fuel mileage

i was just wondering what kind of fuel mileage per tank does everbody get? seems like my old motor got better fuel mileage than the present one and it had some mods done to it, this motor is a stock motor with stage7 and kerker pipe same as old motor except for head work and cams.

Re: fuel mileage

I also got better mileage with stage 7/Morley than stock setup. I got 34-38 stock but now get 38-45. Stock setup could benefit from opening up air box and leaning out carbs a bit though.

Mark

I have a bone stock 2002 max with about 1,100 miles on it "and counting." Have'nt had it long but best tank seems to be the last one when the reserve had to be turned on along with the low "red" fuel light. This happened right at 120-125 miles, seems like about 38-40 mpg or so to me then. I did play with the throttle here & there just like anyone else reading this can't hold back from doing either I'm quite sure. For what it's worth, I have had good luck with the "shotgun", some seafoam, and just switched to using the 87 octane fuel or midgrade most would call it.

I have had my 85 for just over 2 years, and seem to get 30-35 pretty consistantly. i need to pull the carbs this winter and clean them, rebuild all that jazz, but until then I'll just have to live with 30mpg and dirty shorts!

100-110 before the light comes on.

BUMP that......

When I first bought mine it needed tires in the worst way so I pretty much drove it like an old man would and was getting 41/42 MPG; about 125 miles at the light. Then came the new tires. Hehehehe!!!!!!

Now it's more like 35 MPG and 110 on the light.

Just got back from a 125 mile jaunt with 2 up doing 50-75mph straight roads pure stock 2002 bike regular gas 45.6 mpg.

Just got back from a 125 mile jaunt with 2 up doing 50-75mph straight roads pure stock 2002 bike regular gas 45.6 mpg.

Hey, so when did your low fuel light kick in? I did a short trip last weekend myself, also with a bone stock 2002, the low fuel light, along with reserve had to be switched right at 130 miles. I'm using the mid grade 87 octane too, just my 2 cents worth!

Hey, so when did your low fuel light kick in? I did a short trip last weekend myself, also with a bone stock 2002, the low fuel light, along with reserve had to be switched right at 130 miles. I'm using the mid grade 87 octane too, just my 2 cents worth!

Mid is 87?? What's low?

Low is 87 mid is 89 and high is 91 or 93 depending on the brand... That's here in the plains... 89 is cheaper than 87 but is 10% ethanol.

You can get 85 or E85 out here in the boonies. Stay away from ethanol, it likes to clog carb circuits and is hard one the o-rings.

Mark

Latest posts

Back