Gas Mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normal riding I get 44 mpg but have the Venture gearing which supposedly is worth almost 10% better mileage. Otherwise completely stock.

Last edited:
UK gallon is 20% bigger than a USA Gallon Wonko so your consumption figures are roughly what us guys in the states are seeing.
Having said that however, my Max only goes around 100 miles before the reserve light comes on. :confused2:

Chris.

Good point, forgot that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I wanted to see what milage I was getting at cruising speeds. I filled up to the top of the neck, drove 70 miles. No Vboost. I averaged 45 to 70 mph on country roads. refilled. Got 40 MPH.

I have to assume that the guys seeing 40+ mpg are either very easy on the gas or ride in a vacuum. My Max never sees the good side of 30mpg yet it appears to be in remarkably good tune. She pulls hard throughout the rev range, idles sweetly and runs around town with very little fuss or bother. Does the stage 7 and 4 -1 pipe affect the bike to the tune of a 10 mpg loss ?
I'm not complaining but it appears I'm going through fuel like a drunken sailor on shore leave goes through a bottle of rum.
Tis a mystery inside a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.
(I stole that last bit from Churchill)

Chris.

Check all your brakes and wheel bearings, bear in mind some of us have radials and that helps too.. I ride pretty normal I think, the occasional blast here and there but I'm not constantly wide open.. I've noticed in warmer weather mine is better too, I have mine dialed in pretty good because I have a wideband O2 and have raced quite a bit but from what I've seen on here most guys are a little rich on their jetting (I was too before the wideband) and that'll effect both mileage and performance. Just throwing some ideas out there for you guys..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed that most of the guys getting 40+mpg are riding later model Vmax (usually '05 and up), whereas the 30mpg brigade generally is composed of the older bikes. Something to do with engine wear? Or ignition upgreades? Or?..

One interesting fact - my 2000 gets shit mileage, and another bloke in my area also riding an '00 gets great mileage. Perhaps he's really granny-riding, and I love my boost a bit :rofl_200:

I think the combo of 10% corn 'likker' & city riding kills the mileage. It seems-to for me. Cruising at a steady 65+ mph (and 75 when you can get-away w/it), the mileage for me is low-mid 30's. Stock bore/stroke, COP's, Stage 7, radials, fresh valve job, and I see the 'flickering red light' every time I spin the key. So, I am not-babying it. Ah, so-what....as-long as it's not spitting broken pieces:bang head: and spinning big-end rod bearings:bang head:, I'll take it.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• intake cam 2.jpg
    intake cam 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 18
  • intake cam 3.jpg
    intake cam 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
Check all your brakes and wheel bearings, bear in mind some of us have radials and that helps too.. I ride pretty normal I think, the occasional blast here and there but I'm not constantly wide open.. I've noticed in warmer weather mine is better too, I have mine dialed in pretty good because I have a wideband O2 and have raced quite a bit but from what I've seen on here most guys are a little rich on their jetting (I was too before the wideband) and that'll effect both mileage and performance. Just throwing some ideas out there for you guys..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Brakes and wheel bearings are just fine. Perhaps my enthusiastic throttle fist is the culprit but dang, it's hard to ride a Max and not enjoy that sheer adrenaline rush and sense of power when you crank it open. I've found nothing that this bike can't haul in faster than a poachers net. I suppose if I wanted economy I could have bought a Honda Rebel but like I said earlier; I'm not complaining. The trade off in power is worth every penny I spend in fuel and the grin factor is priceless. ( The look of horror on the HD and S & S community when you reel them in around here is also worthy of the price of admission).

Chris.

On Topeka Trip I got between 42-47 but most riding was v-twin cruiser-like. Vboost is open full time. (Dan-o, I'm having fun with this! lol)

Mine has a stage 7, V boost completely removed, and modified stock pipes. About 80 miles, mainly hwy until the low fuel light comes on....I don't ride it hard, but I don't ride it like a pussy either

Mine has a stage 7, V boost completely removed, and modified stock pipes. About 80 miles, mainly hwy until the low fuel light comes on....I don't ride it hard, but I don't ride it like a pussy either

I feel your pain but on the bright side, that 80 miles goes past a lot faster than those around you :eusa_dance:

Chris.

Back