Gas Tank Removal Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianK

Reaction score
I'm trying to change the "old rusty fuel tank" on my 85' Vmax and can't seam to figure out the "trick" to getting it out.

I am using an aftermarket manual with pretty good instructions, but it's sort of vague on the exact manipulation trick to get the tank out.

In preparation I've already removed: Rear brake caliper & caliper support arm, rear axel & tire, rear tire/tank mud guard, left passenger foot peg w/ integrated vertical frame member, breather tubes, rubber filler over flow w/ drain tube, main fuel line to filter, filter & upper rubber filter holder, bottom drain hex bolt, unplugged sender unit wires, unscrewed the two upper tank main fasteners, large rubber tang and small rubber side tangs and gas cap.

The tank is ready to come out right now, but I just can't figure out the "trick" to the tank manipulation, so it will come out.

Any advice, tips, tricks... would be appreciated.

BrianK
Houston, Texas
85' Vmax

The below procedure is a courtesy from Sam Blumenstein.

1) Took Marks system cans off to enable getting rear shocks off, removed
both front and rear seats, remove both side covers (VMAX insignias).
2) Dropped wheel/swingarm down. Drained fuel from tank (drain plug)
3) Took footpeg bracket (LHS) and removable vertical frame section off.
Left the footpeg bracket hanging down without taking rect/reg off.
4) Undid the 3 bolts holding rear fender to frame and sat fender on rear
tyre. Did not dissconnect any wiring from fender (tail light loom)
5) Removed mudguard (one phillips head bolt) from fuel tank, facing tyre.
6) Removed fuel filter from top of tank. Left fuel line attached to top
of tank. Removed fuel filler cap and rubber spill trough from top of
tank filler neck.
7) Remove overflow hose from rubber spill trough.
8) Remove breather hose from top of tank RHS.
9) Undo 2 tank retainer bolts from top of tank one on either side of
filler neck. Take not of how this assembly goes back...bolt, large
washer, plastic alignment washer. Take off as one unit. Remove the
rubber grommet below this assembly which is between this assembly and
the frame tank mounting plate (basically a round steel piece with hole
in it which is part of frame) you will need to put this back in the same
order.
10) Remove locking tank cap. Remove fuel level gauge electrical plug
from harness just next to rear brake master cylinder.
11) Slide tank towards rear of bike to dissengage tank support tang from
rubber bush sitting on horizontal frame tube just below battery. It is a
tight fit but will come out with a bit of muscle. Mine came out and the
rubber bush fell on the ground.
12) Pull tank straight out on LHS of bike (plenty of room).
13) Put tank back the reverse.

Mark

I'm trying to change the "old rusty fuel tank" on my 85' Vmax and can't seam to figure out the "trick" to getting it out.

I am using an aftermarket manual with pretty good instructions, but it's sort of vague on the exact manipulation trick to get the tank out.

In preparation I've already removed: Rear brake caliper & caliper support arm, rear axel & tire, rear tire/tank mud guard, left passenger foot peg w/ integrated vertical frame member, breather tubes, rubber filler over flow w/ drain tube, main fuel line to filter, filter & upper rubber filter holder, bottom drain hex bolt, unplugged sender unit wires, unscrewed the two upper tank main fasteners, large rubber tang and small rubber side tangs and gas cap.

The tank is ready to come out right now, but I just can't figure out the "trick" to the tank manipulation, so it will come out.

Any advice, tips, tricks... would be appreciated.

BrianK
Houston, Texas
85' Vmax

Yeah I finely got the old Vmax Fuel Tank out!:banana:

Steps required, in addition to my original ordered list above; I had to remove the shocks which allowed the swing arm drop down a little more and rest on the mufflers. The final hindrance in get the tank out was removing the rear fender as well. (I was able to remove the three rear fender screws and pull it out of the way, without disconnecting any wires)

Final tank removal steps; Pull tank straight back about 2" to allow large lower front tang to slip out from under battery case, tip/rotate the tank to the rear so the gas filler neck is pointing to the rear of the bike (pointing to the horizon), the tank will now slide out from the left side of the bike.

:rocket bike:

Also thanks for posting your suggestions too.

BrianK
Houston, Texas

I ran across this link for tank removal. Good explanation of the process, although I have never removed the tank. At least will give you a good idea what you up against.:thumbs up:
It has "color glossy, 8 x 10 pictures with a detailed 2 paragraph explanation written on the back of each one !" :whistlin:

Can someone tell in detail or show me what these 2 bolts holding the fuel tank look like ?? As well as the orderin which they go on ex.(bolt washer rubber washer)

Any lengths sizes bolt head patterns washer sizes anything will help i just working from a big bag of bolts and washers but apparently everything is here .....

If u see below pic will show where i mean .

Attachments

• 16722538103569013398531281583656.jpg
    16722538103569013398531281583656.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Here's the stackup of rubber and plastic parts with the solid bushing between then.

Attachments

• Filler Shroud Support.jpg
    Filler Shroud Support.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
Back