Gasket removal help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
So I'm replacing the gasket on my right side crankcase cover. I had the cover off to install a decorative centerpiece, let the old gasket ride and sure enough it leaks so, ordered two new ones (a spare is handy), drained the oil and popped the cover back off.

J.F.C.

So an hour later, after some scraping, a little sanding (I had to remove the marks the razor left in the aluminum after giving up the razor) attacks with brake cleaner and acetone, and I still have gasket bits here and there attached with great tenacity.

Is there a simple trick I am missing here or is removing gaskets from aluminum *supposed* to drive you crazy?

I use a gasket remover spray you can find at any auto part store. For your new gasket, coat a bit with Vaseline. It'll peel right off next time you have to remove.

Resorted to brake cleaner, scotch-bite, and elbow grease. Worked eventually.

New gasket properly installed......bitch seems to be still leaking. Won't be sure until after this mornings ride.

Never should taken the sucker off in the first place, it didn't USED to leak oil. Argh.

hello all, what i find works quite well is WD-40 plus GREEN scotchbrite from 3M,if you use brown scotchbrite you might remove the sealing surfaces of the mating parts .just spray a paper towel and soak one edge, rub on surface in question and us the green scotchbrite on the wet surface.you will find that it works so well that you see the original milling marks on engine parts, leaving a perfect sealing surface for your new gasket. NEVER USE sand paper !!, if you are not carefull you will remove metal from the surface, leaving a suface thats not square on the contact point for the gasket.Sandpaper is harder than aluminum and will alter the mating surface !!! good luck and best wishes buckridge

Actually, the best scraper for ensuring there isn't any material removed is a plastic scraper. Some auto parts stores I think sell them.

Many of the newer vmax's come from the factory with silicon put in the area where the case halves meet. Try that (sparingly) and see if that doesn't help you.

Sean

Dude is this why you called me this weekend. Tried calling back but no answer. I was in Vegas riding the 09 Max

So an hour later, after some scraping, a little sanding (I had to remove the marks the razor left in the aluminum after giving up the razor)?

Sanding?? Hmmm sanding on aluminum... Not good...

Gasket removal on motorcycle engines is an art to not fuck up the surface meaning keeping the engine and case surface true...

I use a razor blade and at a 10-15 degree angle and cut the gasket up.. Someone needs to make a video on this.. Yes it takes awhile the first time.. Clutch cover and the engine where it meets takes about 1. hour to clean.

When installing the new gasket,, use vaseline this will prevent it from sticking.

i use a die grinder and very worn out abrasive pad i saved after a lot of uses on cast iron, also lots of care. work super fast and doesnt damage mating surface. im sure a new one would chew it up though.

:hijacked:

Okay hi officer, you have me wanting to see pics of the bike AND that sweetass Camaro you've built up.

Hook us up man. :)
-

That's the part I have about building an engine. Takes longer to prep the gasket surfaces then to actually put one together.

Sean

After cleaning with a scraper I use a stone to make sure the surface is flat.

After cleaning with a scraper I use a stone to make sure the surface is flat.

If your only shaving off gasket material there shouldnt be a need to take a stone.. If anything you can take a cover and sand it on a flat table..

You shouldnt see NO metal while removing gaskets. If you do your doing it incorrectly or using the wrong tools or both use the wrong tool and using it wrong.

Think again.

Hmm ohh ok, guess your going to educate me on this topic.. For one if there was a problem with a gasket seat or a warped cover or engine surface from the factory it sure as hell would show up leaking with the thin light weight factory break in oil,, and anyone in the right mind would return a new motorcycle to dealer if it was leaking oil..

But hey we all voice our opinions here and what works for us... If you want to block sand your covers with a stone go right on ahead as I say

"Aint my ride"

I just said to hit it with a stone to take down any high spots that may be there due to manufacturing defects or owner induced defects after cleaning.

Latest posts

Back