VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
There are quite a few threads scattered throughout the forum regarding gauges. I have been searching to try and find some good info and I have found some but, not everything I am looking for.

So, if anyone has added aftermarket gauges, be it tach, temp, oil, boost, volts, amps, whatever...... I think it would be nice to have one place to go to and see what you did and how you did it. Any kind of written info and pics would be great.

I'm interested in installing an auto tach on my bike that is only adjustable down to a 4 cylinder setting. I have never found any info that tells how this can be other than the "diode" method which I'm not sure I want to do. I know Lankee figured it out but he's not around. I'm sure it can be done but I'm a little confused when I hear that some people say their gauges worked on a " 2 cylinder setting" such as the sunpro gauges, and some others say that their tach only worked when set for " 1 pulse setting" such as the Autometer Procycle. Whats the difference here? If I were going to buy a typical car type tach that only goes down to 4 cylinders it would read 50% of actual RPM, right? I'm guessing the terminology is the difference here and the only tach labeled with "pulse settings" are the MC specific tachs?

Also, with the oil pressure gauges. Can someone post up a couple pics of the galley plug area? And the hose they are using? Not sure that I want to keep the plastic stuff that comes with the gauge. Is there another thing that could be used that is better other than AN hose? What kind of hose/tubing are you guys getting with the COO kit? I've heard some say the stock oil galley plug can be drilled but its very thin metal. I know I can buy a kawasaki plug to bolt in there and drill it out to whatever size I want. I've heard others say they can use a drain plug from the auto parts store but I've only seen 20mm drain plugs at the stores and I thought our oil galley plug was 19mm. Can anyone confirm?

As far as water temp gauges go I know I can run a tap into the thermo housing and install the sensor but does anyone know of an adaptor that would fit into our housing without having to tap it?

i can't help with too much man, but for some reason i have this picture available after i installed my gauge.

Attachments

• SSPX0254.jpg
    SSPX0254.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks Garrett. Any little bit helps. That hose that you have there, is it a braided SS AN hose with a covering or is it something else?

I've been looking for AN hose that has a clear or black coating so it doesn't scratch stuff up or snag but can't seem to find any. Any hints out there?

I have thought about replacing my oil gauge line for an electrical gauge. My oil gauge has been mounted in my instrument cluster and sometimes it is a royal pain in the ass if you need to replace bulbs or stuff in general.
When I get a chance I will post up a pic of my gauges. Some where on here I posted a link to a video on youtube if you can find it.
Cheers

Thanks Garrett. Any little bit helps. That hose that you have there, is it a braided SS AN hose with a covering or is it something else?

I've been looking for AN hose that has a clear or black coating so it doesn't scratch stuff up or snag but can't seem to find any. Any hints out there?

When I did my oil gauge many years back I had a friend that worked for a deisel truck repair shop and they made thier own replacement hydraulic lines. He made one for me that looks like a regualar black hose (i'm sure it's high pressure....and I'm not sure what an AN hose is)...he cut to length and crimped on the ends I needed. Where it enters the motor looks pretty much just like Garrett's........it's been on there for over 20 years with no problems.

I think that the parts store said that there were fittings for the temp. sensor for nissan, toyota, ect. so you might check into that. I just got a tap and done it , it was pretty soft metal so it tapped quick. If I was to do it again I would do the electronic gauge instead of the gas filled bendy tube setup it just causes clutter. Mabie even a electronic oil press gauge. The problem is with the tach. is that our bike is wasted spark and you are picking up on one cylinder so that is why on 4cly it will only read half of the RPM. I have a Sunpro that is set to 2cly. but when I get up into the RPMs it starts to get a little jumpy. I have tried different resistors but it is still not perfect. I think that I will try the Diode setup and put it on 4cly and see if it does better. The Procycle tach. is sweet but Jesus tits it is pricey. Also if you are gonna do a speedo in the gauge cluster area I would possibly go with electronic if I was to do it again, Although the drag specialties one that I got works great it was just a bit too big for the cluster so I had to grind some out of the top and bottom, but it does have all of the idiot lights in the gauge with a trip counter also.

Back