Good news/bad news.............

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester 42

Reaction score
Bad news:

I bailed out on purchase of the 09 VMax.
Just couldn't "pull the trigger" on cutting loose of that chunk of change.

Good news:

I did "pull the trigger" on another VMax.
Picking it up tomorrow morning.
Bought a 2007; one owner, completely stock, in primo condition, with 4,600 miles on it. Bike was always garaged.
Owner is thowing in a nice jacket, helmet , and bike cover as boot.
Bike didn't even get pulled out of the crate until 2008.
Don't feel like I got burned too bad...........58 hundred.

I plan to do some mods on the 07, and leave my 05 Anniversary Edition stock. Money I "didn't" spend on the 09 will pay for a whole bunch of mods.

Jester 42

Last edited:
Looks like you got a good deal on the Gen1 max!

I hate the be the first to one to tell you, but you now have a team of Mod Monkeys heading your way and they are packed with the intention of staying awhile. Beware, there only goal is to help you spend your cash reserves on your new Vmax.

And one more thing :ttiwwp:

Good luck!

Mike

Take all the money you saved instead of buying a Gen 2, and add some sort of forced induction to your Gen 1. Entirely possible to get something that's faster than a new one. Someone here used to have a supercharged gen 1 that would embarrass gen 2's.

Otherwise, you got the last of a breed....be proud of it!

Bad news:

I bailed out on purchase of the 09 VMax.
Just couldn't "pull the trigger" on cutting loose of that chunk of change.

Jester 42

That's why I decided to keep my Gen 1 and just do a bunch of mods. I didn't want to spend that much money and still be the guy that makes everybody stop for gas every 100 miles. The Gen 2 is a great bike, maybe I'll buy a used one in the future.

The "new to me" 2007 is "home". Did a 45 mile ride in 40 degree temp. with wind chill of about 30 degrees . Fingers still tingling. Bike ran like a charm; no problems whatsoever. Made 2 stops on the way home; insurance place to get paper proof that I have it, and bike shop to set up a date to start some of the mods.

Parts on hand & ready to go:

EBC-HH brake pads and Galfer SS line
Dale Walker/Holeshot frame braces
Case guards/chrome/original parts
K & N air filter

While it's in for those mods; mechanic who "always" works on my 05 will give the 07 a complete inspection.......... checking "everything"! Mods are a good thing, but I want to deal with any possible safety issues,or any possible mechanical issues first & foremost. Don't expect a lot of issues with the bike; first owner appears to be one of those "picky about his toys" kind of guys.

In the future; I plan on replacing the stock handlebars with drag bars, and go to progressive springs. After that, we'll see............

Will save on insurance, save on taxes & license, and I've "already" saved 7 grand by bailing on the 09.
There is some "mod monkey money" available.
Probably not the decision that everybody would have made? But it works for me............
Complaining about having a 20th anniversary edition, and one of the last Gen 1's in my garage would be like bitching about food with you mouth full.

Photos: If I can ever figure out how to post em, I will post em.

Jester 42

If you're putting those pads on it, you'll QUICKLY find that it needs springs. Scared the SHIT out of me. Mine quickly spiraled into a money pit.

Update:

My (new to me) 2007 Max was in the shop for part of 2 days.

Additions:
EBC HH brake pads
Galfer SS brake lines
Python polished fork brace w/ VMax logo
Progressive springs with Race Tech emulators
Dale Walker frame braces (black)
OEM case guards (chrome)
New front tire mounted & balanced
K & N air filter
Dark smoked flyscreen from Python
Lead for battery tender added
New oil & filter
New spark plugs
Changed final gear oil, fork oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission oil
Lubed brake & clutch levers, and gear shift.
Every nut & bolt on the bike was checked; mechanic is as picky as me. I like that!

That was the first round with the mod monkey............I'm still smilin'.

Second round is in the planning stage.
Stock rear shocks will be replaced.
Stock mirrors will probably be replaced.
Probably mount a "real" tach on handlebars.
After that; "I'll think about it awhile".
Main focus is still on handling, safety, fun ride issues; as opposed to engine/horsepower upgrades.

Unfortunately, a winter storm is moving into the area.
Not much riding time going to be available in near future.
Bummer!

Jester 42

Wow man, you did everything I intend to do over a year in one fell swoop. Bigger gas tank is on my list too, plus a new seat. Way to be thorough! Congrats! Pictures?

Here's what I've done since September (from your list):

EBC HH brake pads
Progressive springs with Race Tech emulators
New rear tire mounted & balanced
K & N air filter
Lead for battery tender added
New oil & filter
New spark plugs
Every nut & bolt on the bike was checked

I really want the case guards too. You gonna put pegs on them?

plus:
Took out a bunch of BS speaker wire from tiny LED blinkers and re-wired stock turn signals and lights, which now function properly.
Wheel bearings
Shotgun cleaned the carbs, double checked all the boots and diaphragms, etc.
Crimp fix is as soon as I can find my *&% soldering iron.

Great list of mods, too bad the weather is not cooperating for test ride ATM. I have ~4 months before I'm going to get to ride again.:damn angry:
As far as adding a larger tank here is a link for the tank but it is not cheap. It also has a good write up on what needs to be done to make the tank fit properly with a step by step on how to install. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

If you plan to do hardcore high-mileage touring a bigger tank might be worth looking into, but it's not cheap and it's not easy, to me it's a lot of effort/cash to carry around an extra gallon or so. IMO it'd be a lot easier to just strap a small 1gal can to the luggage rack, or backseat if you anticipate needing it.

Otherwise, I would routinely do 4-500+ mile days on weekends and didn't find my '97 needed fuel any more often than the R6s and M109 I ride with. The reserve gives you plenty of warning, and I can consistently get 130 miles to the tank safely. I think a better "range extender" mod is to swap in a Venture drive. Cheaper, easier, and the Max mill easily has the power to turn slightly taller gears. With sensible driving and minimal v-boost, I can pull in 40mpg at a 75mph cruise. Or, open the taps and get 20, your choice.

Slip on exhaust cans do essentially nothing for power, but they do save a lot of weight. The stock muffler is a total brick, plus dual Holeshot cans gives a nice, deep big block V8 rumble. If you're not really planning on modding the engine, you might want to consider this (any carb kits or such will require a full header system to really work).

A fork brake, frame braces, and Progressives should do wonders for the handling. Rear shocks can probably help a bit, but you've got the major bases covered already. Radial tires are the next big step, but a bigger rear wheel will not come cheap, around a grand new.

Safety? Keep your eyes moving, stay alert, and buy a good helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves.

Back