Grip ideas / help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Right, so I installed some really beautiful new 1" grips today, and I have one problem. Somewhere in messing about with different grips since I got Max, I've lost the Chromey-plastic piece of s*** beauty shield that abuts the switch house on the throttle side. Thus on my throttle side there is a gap where one can see the cheeso black ring on the throttle sleeve assy.

Has anyone seen a decent aftermarket replacement for this piece? I am thinking of taking a fat step drill to my right hand grip to allow it slide over and meet the switch housing, but these were $100+ grips, and the fabrication and plating quality is really nice, I'm sort of loath to start hacking into them.

ideas?

That's typical.

As soon as I say something online, I walk into the garage and bump right into the plastic thingy-guy I've been looking for for an hour.

Looks better, still not great tho. I think I might buy an extra throttle sleeve off ebay and just cut down the retaining ring on the outside.

LOL, I did the same thing. I looked for it everywhere, could not find it. I left the project for a couple days and when I came back to it I found the part straight off. I wanted to cut off the "cheeso" part too, in the end I trimmed a little of the end of the grip and it worked out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 45
Noxx I would so love to know how you got 1" grips to work.
I've seen a pair of 1" I want really bad, but have not seen a good mod for using them on the Max.

Could you share the details on what you did to get the 1" to work?
as always... pictures speak a thousand words.

Thanks in advance.

Noxx I would so love to know how you got 1" grips to work.
I've seen a pair of 1" I want really bad, but have not seen a good mod for using them on the Max.

Could you share the details on what you did to get the 1" to work?
as always... pictures speak a thousand words.

Thanks in advance.

Easy enough, you can purchase a cheapo throttle sleeve for 7/8", cut off just the sleeve portion and use it as a spacer. Glue it to your bars, then glue your grip to it. Mine came with a spacer included, plus the grips use 3 setscrews each, so they are rock solid.

Easy enough, you can purchase a cheapo throttle sleeve for 7/8", cut off just the sleeve portion and use it as a spacer. Glue it to your bars, then glue your grip to it. Mine came with a spacer included, plus the grips use 3 setscrews each, so they are rock solid.

Thanks Noxxs.

LOL, I did the same thing. I looked for it everywhere, could not find it. I left the project for a couple days and when I came back to it I found the part straight off. I wanted to cut off the "cheeso" part too, in the end I trimmed a little of the end of the grip and it worked out pretty good.

Nice avatar. :ummm: Kinda looks like Julianne Hough.
Now that's one hottie that really needs to pose in the flesh!

Thanks Dezeez...

Now if I could only find out how to get that awesome gloss finish on my ride Like yours?

All you have to do is polish it more than you ride it. That's what happens when the weather sucks 6 months out of the year. I need at least high 40's and clean roads before I leave the house. No luck so far this Winter.

What kind of wax do you use?

Check out these guys!

They even have a forum! I've been using them now for a few months.

WORDS can not say how good it all works, plus they back up their claims.

No white dust or anything!

Make sure you use Micro Fiber. Theirs is the best I've found so far. No lies!

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/

Click the "shop online" button in the upper tool bar.

What kind of wax do you use?

I'm out of town for work right now but I know it's Mothers poly something or other. Not the normal caranuba stuff. Just tried it for something different. Honestly, I use whatever catches my fancy at the time and isn't too expensive. I've never found a wax that lasted very long. I also stopped washing my bike. I give it a quick sponge bath after riding it.

Sorry the thread got off topic.

I'm out of town for work right now but I know it's Mothers poly something or other. Not the normal caranuba stuff. Just tried it for something different. Honestly, I use whatever catches my fancy at the time and isn't too expensive. I've never found a wax that lasted very long. I also stopped washing my bike. I give it a quick sponge bath after riding it.

Sorry the thread got off topic.

OK so basically it's TLC.
Thanks Dezeez.

We now return this thread to it's regular topic.

My apologies for the sidetrack.

Back