Handle Bars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunkins1

Reaction score
VMaxers,

I recently laid my 2002 VMAX down and need many things. My handlebar is first on the list. However, I'm looking for something swept back a little more for comfort. I'm 6'3 so I like to stretch out a bit. Any suggestions? I see Sean Morely sells several styles.

Appreciate your suggestions,

Thanks,

Bill

I'm about 5'8". I have Morley's Superbike bars and I really like them. Makes me sit pretty much straight up.

Sorry to hear about your bike

drag or superbike bars.

Drag bars are reallly far better than stock.
Like you I bent it, so I'm planning to try some low superbike bars which are little bit wider than the drag bars.

I have the Python handlebar, which is a little flatter and 2" wider than the stock one. I've sat on a stock bike, and definitely like the feel of the Pythons better.

Then again, I'm relatively stumpy at only 5'8, so it might not be the best choice for you.

I have Protaper motocross bars on my max. Nice thing is they have a couple dozen styles to choose from. I brought the max bars with me to compare and than picked which one suited me best.

MIke

I am now running Flanders 31" wide drag bars. I'm 6'/ ~2" lowered seat and it fits my reach perfect. Slightly leaned forward (into the wind) which helps on long cruises (been over 500 mi and still comfortable). I had the Python drag bar but wanted one that was a little wider. Python works great and Sean offers the exact same bar.

I am now running Flanders 31" wide drag bars. I'm 6'/ ~2" lowered seat and it fits my reach perfect. Slightly leaned forward (into the wind) which helps on long cruises (been over 500 mi and still comfortable). I had the Python drag bar but wanted one that was a little wider. Python works great and Sean offers the exact same bar.

This is the bar I have Bill...

I've tried 4 different bars on the Vmax, I'm 6ft1 with a crap back from to many knocks, and since I spend 90% of my time on bumpy highways it has to be comfy.
All these thoughts are obviously to suit ME though.....

Std bars - OK for the 1st 2 hours, and under 70mph, after that stiff neck from hanging on and sore lower back from being upright.

"Buckhorns" - 1" wider, 1" back, 1" higher - Quite comfy as long as the road is smooth and speeds under 70mph, otherwise REALLY stiff neck and shoulders, and my back screams after 1hr. Hard to hang on at the drags! Looks cool with highway pegs!

"Dragbars" - 1.5" narrower, 1" forward, 1" lower - easy to hang onto at the drags (unless you get a tankslapper, then it hurts......lots :biglaugh:), good on highway, but harder to muscle around town coz less leverage.

"Clip-ons" - std width, 2" forward, 2" lower - I love it so far, even after 3hours on the highway to the drags, then race all day, then 3 hours home. Looks are subjective, I reckon the clear, flat top yoke (relocated the speedo too) is cool, reminds me of a '80s superbike look. Definitely NOT for everyone though. Riding position with rearsets 2" back and 1" lower is damn near spot-on my old 2006 Ducati Monster and my son-in-law's 2007 Suzuki GSX1400.

Better control while at the drags too.......:clapping:

I Have the superbike bars from sean. dont regret it one bit. even on a 400 mile ride.

Made them myself from flat 3/8 alloy and some wide cruiser pegs in the shed, then made up levers/pivots from copper tubing and capscrews.

Back