happy, pissed happy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
When I ordered my new wheels I asked Jon at UFO what yamaha bike had the correct (or close at least) speedo drive for my 18 with 120/70-18 tire. He told me a mid 90's FZR600. I did the research and found that this bike was equipped with a 120/70-17 front; close enough, at least better than reading 11% high which is where I was at with the stock speedo drive, ordered it from my local Yamaha stealer. When it came in it was a perfect match for the old one except that the hole through the center for the axle shaft was too small:bang head:

Brought it to work and gave it to one of the machinists out here to enlarge the hole to the right size; easy fix right?:eusa_dance:

Went back to get it from him that afternoon and the wino motherfucker DRILLED IT AND DRILLED IT OFF CENTER TO BOOT!:bang head: By about .040

He should have used and end mill I believe. Ruined the effin housing!:bang head:

I told him "thanks" (what the hell else am I going to say when beggin' favors?) and walked away pretty pissed.

So I got to looking at the old one and the new ruined one and discovered that the ring gear and worm gear appeared to be interchangeable form housing to housing:eusa_dance:

After drilling a second hole in the roll pin area to facilitate removal of the roll pin that holds the worm gear in place I got the new worm gear and ring gear installed in the new housing and I'm back in business:eusa_dance:

I'm happy now but still wondering;

What IS the correct model bike that has a directly interchangeable speedo drive? This would be the one that Boxxenstop or Wild bro's sells since I doubt they're modifying one like I did.

later,

Rusty

Sorry to hear that you got miss information from Jon... Been there...

Sorry that you now have a part that is trash... Can you use the parts from the Vmax unit and swap over???

Don't know as I haven't had one apart yet. I live with the speedo as is... 140=128gps:whistlin:

Maybe your GPS isn't Y2K compliant. :rofl_200:

Mark

Can you use the parts from the Vmax unit and swap over???

I already swapped the new ring and worm into the old housing, therefore the :eusa_dance:

Works like a charm, it under reads by about 3% or so, much better than overeading by 10-11%

Rusty

I already swapped the new ring and worm into the old housing, therefore the :eusa_dance:

Works like a charm, it under reads by about 3% or so, much better than overeading by 10-11%

Rusty

I'm smarter than I thought...:surprise:

:clapping:

My dad has an white 07 M109r, and on the gps it is exactly 10% off, which i'm pretty sure is the absolute max that a vehicles speedo can be off from the factory. at least his is easy to calculate on the go lol.

My dad has an white 07 M109r, and on the gps it is exactly 10% off, which i'm pretty sure is the absolute max that a vehicles speedo can be off from the factory. at least his is easy to calculate on the go lol.

My SV is off by 9% from the factory but one thing to keep in mind is the speedo can be off but the ODO has to be damn near dead on... I installed a speedo healer on my SV after going up two on the rear and making it 12% off and it's off between 1 and 2 MPH now...:thumbs up:

My SV is off by 9% from the factory but one thing to keep in mind is the speedo can be off but the ODO has to be damn near dead on... I installed a speedo healer on my SV after going up two on the rear and making it 12% off and it's off between 1 and 2 MPH now...:thumbs up:

I always assumed the speedo and ODO would be off by the same amount since they are driven off the same cable. Not sure about that, I've never done the 60 MPH check against a stopwatch/mile marker method for the speedo. My reference has always been to compare ODO reading against the Mile markers on a long straight trip.

Stock the ODO was around 3% off so I thought Speedo was too.

I'll have to check that out, Thanks for the thought.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back