Hard start with cop kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garrett what kind of plugs were you running? I have iridium in it at the moment but I would think that would help. Seems like the igniter box doesn't kick in to fire them till it feels like it.

Garrett what kind of plugs were you running? I have iridium in it at the moment but I would think that would help. Seems like the igniter box doesn't kick in to fire them till it feels like it.

Stock ngks

-garrett

like what......just corrosion.....asking cuz funny I have same issue for years.....never could figure out what randomly causes it....

like what......just corrosion.....asking cuz funny I have same issue for years.....never could figure out what randomly causes it....

I have been having the same issue, it just started this season... It will crank 5 to 7 seconds before it fires, this is with a brand new Odyssey battery and plugs. Once it fires, its all great...

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

I feel better knowing there's more people out there with the problem. I have had a few pm's as well about the same problem. But no one seems to know why. I have ohmed the wires alone the cop's alone and everything assembled all 4 give me the same reading so I can't pinpoint the cause. I was hoping something would have been off.

not sure exactly, they were brand new wires gannon sent

I feel better knowing there's more people out there with the problem. I have had a few pm's as well about the same problem. But no one seems to know why. I have ohmed the wires alone the cop's alone and everything assembled all 4 give me the same reading so I can't pinpoint the cause. I was hoping something would have been off.

could you try, one by one putting the stock coils back on, seeing if one cop wire/resistor is causing issues?

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

Ok, guys check this on your cops equipped bike!

I found "my" hard starting problem, I went ahead and checked the sync on the carburetors to make sure they were within spec and they were set perfectly, I went to put the small caps back on the sync ports and noticed two were cracked, I replaced them with new caps and the bike starts up just fine... so I am assuming that it was getting an air leak through the Sync Ports all working fine now! Starts right up with out the engine making a full rotation by the starter!

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

I wish mine was that easy. I have been trying to get with Gannon to see if we can figure it out. maybe he can walk me through some troubleshooting to figure out if it's cop's or wires resistors etc.

I wish mine was that easy. I have been trying to get with Gannon to see if we can figure it out. maybe he can walk me through some troubleshooting to figure out if it's cop's or wires resistors etc.

Did you try replacing each coil, like i mentioned above?

Haven't had time yet gonna try tonight. I did notice I have 4150 coils and it seems most are using 4400 not sure that would make a difference. If im checking ohm's correctly there all the same. Can someone tell me what setting to use on multi meter so I know if I'm checking correctly.

Haven't had time yet gonna try tonight. I did notice I have 4150 coils and it seems most are using 4400 not sure that would make a difference. If im checking ohm's correctly there all the same. Can someone tell me what setting to use on multi meter so I know if I'm checking correctly.

i wouldnt' worry about the 4150 vs 4400 too much since i had the same issue with the other ones, and if they're all the same then even if you're doing it wrong you're getting the same reading, my only idea is one or multiple resistors isn't letting the plug(s) fire or the CDI is not getting the right reading back and not giving it the spark.

That's my thought. When Gannon responded to me this weekend I asked about getting rid of the resistors and he said don't. But hadn't responded since so I'm gonna try your suggestion and go one by one to see if I can pin point the cause

cool yours started with the cap fix but think mine is something else as it spins over too fast to be that. you can tell there is no spark. but always worth a look at those caps over time, they dont last forever.

Sorry guys been busy moving my grandmother into assisted living. Gene I need those harnesses and coils sent to me so I can do some bench testing and perhaps even test them on my bike to really dig into the issue.

Thanks G

Latest posts

Back