have a ? on lectrical brush properties this eve

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slacker

Reaction score
Am working on a collector, electrical type, on a crane. After pulling it (a chore and a half) and repairing some connections and wiring, I found a brush was broke. It came of the arm in the lower left. I would like to 'fix' this instead of waiting on parts. I have two other larger projects down for parts, forever. Don't want another. My questions, what are these brushes made of and can I like solder or weld this? I could drill out the rivet. The arm is plastic. Also, am thinking an electrical shop may have a brush that I can size down and drill to fit. If ya know anything about this, I'd appreciate knowing. I'll ck back later this eve and in the A.M. Thanks, Mark
I apologize for the subject typo.

Attachments

• collector.jpg
    collector.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 31
Greetings Mark,no you can't solder or glue the brush back together.The brushes are usually made of carbon and you should be able to make a brush to suit.Looking at your rather blurry photo without any dimensions of the brush makes it rather difficult to offer a suggestion of a replacement.But just looking at it reminds me of a delco remy 10SI alternator brush.You can try ringing a local autoelectrician with the dimensions of the brush and they maybe able to help you more.Cheers Kevman.Oh and the voltage that is being used would be handy.

Here brushes are rather made from graphite and of course like Kev said - you cant repair them.
Here this is not a problem - there are few shops that can make a custom brush.
But mostly OEM suply is the best idea.

The brush was close to 3/4 inch square. I ended up making one out of brass. For as long as we'll have the crane, it should last. Sometimes, I wait forever to get parts. I was up to try anything. I have a couple Osh Kosh snow removal trucks down now. One has been down for 5 months, and the other has been in the shop for two months and found it may be down for another five. Seems the company may have to make a drop box part. I had a Fiat dozer engine torn completely stripped for eight months before, waiting on the Italians and French to tool up and make a few parts. Also, have had a crane down for six months, waiting on the Germans to tool up and make a brake part. Bad thing about waiting, I have to remember how to put the junk back together after months of working on other junk. My memory taint that good.
A guy at work thought the brush was made out of carbon. Got the collector back in. Been working out in the sun, on asphalt. It was 110 F in the sun. The equipment is dark green and attracts heat really, really well. I prob lost a couple pounds. Still have one electrical prob to troubleshoot. Have a back feed from down below somehow. Sooner or later the prob will show itself. Thanks, Mark

Yeah, those heavy equpiments are pita when it comes to get any parts for it.
Its not the same as usual automotive where almost all parts are in stock somewhere...
But again - who can afford having all replacements in stock?
It just sucks...

Back