Headlight issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjack1369

Reaction score
Went for a ride. Stopped for gas. Turned the key off and my headlight and fan continue to run. Took the key switch completely out and light still stays on . The only way I can get the headlight to turn off is to disconnect the battery ground. I'm looking at the wiring diagram to and cant see what I'm overlooking. Suggestions please.:bang head:::bang head:

Try starting the bike when this happens. If it fires, you have shorted wires coming from the ignition switch (I think). Easy enough to remove that thing and check it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You took the key out of the switch, or disconnected the key switch from the harness?
If it was just the key, I'd look at the switch. When the switches get worn, the key will come out in different positions leaving everything hot. If it is a bad switch, I have a brand new one to part with. pm me if interested.
Steve-o

I had a similar problem recently, turned out the connector for the ignition had melted and was connecting the pins together, just had to change out the connector and all was good (I also re soldered the connectors to prevent it from happening again.)

? for you all.
Headlight was flickering on low beam, worked fine on high. Now I have no light. Changed bulb and tested old one. It was good, but still not working checked wiring not getting any volts, traced wire (not Fun) no issues found checked fuse too.

Any ideas what to look for next?

Hey everyone! Sorry have not responded to your help. I had a family emergency that took me out of town for a bit. I did some trouble -shooting and the the plug where the key (main) switch connects to the harness was the problem. The brown and red wires were shorted in the connector. SHICKS16 hit it dead on. They had apparently worn through the insulation in the plug and made contact. I would also highly recommend the electrical upgrade for the r/r mentioned in these forums for early v max charging systems. It made a world of difference on my bike. I am finally seeing the charging voltage I would like to see. Thanks to all of you for your much needed help. BE SAFE !!!

? for you all.
Headlight was flickering on low beam, worked fine on high. Now I have no light. Changed bulb and tested old one. It was good, but still not working checked wiring not getting any volts, traced wire (not Fun) no issues found checked fuse too.

Any ideas what to look for next?

Headlight relay going south?
Starter button not returning all the way out or bad contacts within it?

Hey everyone! Sorry have not responded to your help. I had a family emergency that took me out of town for a bit. I did some trouble -shooting and the the plug where the key (main) switch connects to the harness was the problem. The brown and red wires were shorted in the connector. SHICKS16 hit it dead on. They had apparently worn through the insulation in the plug and made contact. I would also highly recommend the electrical upgrade for the r/r mentioned in these forums for early v max charging systems. It made a world of difference on my bike. I am finally seeing the charging voltage I would like to see. Thanks to all of you for your much needed help. BE SAFE !!!

Glad you have gotten some stuff sorted out.

Latest posts

Back