Headlight Option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridinnoshiftin

Reaction score
Well I have been exploring multiple options for the front headlight over the last few months. I haven't decided which route to follow as of yet. I thought I would share one of the latest finds and ask for opinions on light output, cosmetics and any other points of interest. This option kind of kills two birds with one stone. It has a mini windscreen as part of the headlight that gives a clean look. Now the bad, it is NOT DOT legal, but then again neither are some of the mods we do are completely legal in all states. I am looking for opinions, the good ones and the bad ones, about trying this headlight. Thanks for the help and let the opinions flow. If I missed something, let me "see" the light. As far as mounting, it looks like it may fit many diameter tubes with using the rubber mounting. The width doesn't appear to be an issue in fitting it to the Max either. I know, I know....you want to mount a dirt bike light to the VMax?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/34357/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Species-Headlight.aspx

Todd

imo, it don't look bad, But make sure to read some of the reviews, viberates bad and no light adjustment? I'm looking at the vrod headlight or a aftermarket chopper style. T

I did read the reviews and also take them with a grain of salt. Everything can be worked around if needed. Your point is noted and appreciated. I am sure there may have been some other underlying issues that may have attributed to the vibrations. Maybe a hard mount instead of the rubber mounts may be better or tie it in to the original mount on the Max along with the rubber mounts.

Todd

The light output and beam patterns are geared around off-road use, I think you may be disappointed with the performance at night, at highway or greater speeds.
Also, I can't imagine this setup looking good on a stock, '80's styled V-max. Perhaps someone with Photoshop skills could graft one to a Max, and post a pic? In my opinion, even the smallish round stocker is too small and "punched in" for the overall dimensions of the Max. After all, when viewed from the front, there's those two big fake air scoops giving the bike all that width. A wimpy little headlight just doesn't fit the theme. What looks best if going aftermarket is a big-ass, in your face 7" or larger lens, maybe HID equipped, with a small flyscreen. The V-rod unit looks great, but I wonder what a headlight unit from a 109 Suzuki would look on the Max............hmmmmm?????
Cheers!

Last edited:
I am planning a replacement of the stock headlight. I have acquired all I need except the time to do it, maybe tomorrow on the July 4th holiday?

I agree that the stocker is small compared to the rest of the bike. That may hint at my proposed direction.

The VRod light looks good I think, and there are other H-D units that I think could be considered.

My goal is to have a lot more light in-front of me and I am not concerned about aerodynamics as-much as I am about lumens and pattern dispersal.

That dirtbike light looks good on a single-cyl dirtbike but unless you were going fo a lightweight replacement for racing at the strip or something, I bet you would be very disappointed by the pattern and output. Remember, we have a need for lighting at 100+ mph where the typical dirtbike will probably never reach that speed, and please, no mail about your S1000RR modded dirtbike can break 150.

It sounds like it uses zip-ties or something, I can just see that thing sailing-off your downtubes as your speedo hits triple digits and the install has been sun-baked for a year or two and subjected to VBoost stresses. Hey, try it out, if you want, but I wouldn't depend on that for my safety at night!

The new Ducati Diavel headlights are sick. They have an LED strip on em. If they didnt cost so much, I'd already have 1

Latest posts

Back