Headset info wanted

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_caper

Reaction score
I'd apprciate any feedback on a decent wireless comm system that can be shared between rider/passenger or between 2 different riders. These headsets would be used in full-face helmets. They should be able to pick up the voices of the riders and filter out the associated wind/exhaust sounds.

Thanks in advance!

Blaine

Here is a review done by WebBikeWorld. I read the review and thought that it sounded good. But after reading some of the users comments I would investigate more before buying. I have not used this product, I am just reporting what I have read.
I did some further research on this before and I found this bluetooth device from Sony Ericsson. It requires you have your own speakers (earbuds or helmet speakers) and a communication source (bluetooth phone). I was going to set it up with helmet speakers then mount this device on the chin bar foam so I could adjust the volume/ answer phone if I wanted. You can leave phone in pocket and listen to music. It also adjusts volume to surrounding noise level, which may be a good or bad thing.
I was going to try this myself but forgot about it due to a new project at work this spring. I don't have a dealer near me so I would have to drive a couple of hours to get my hands on one to test it out. Maybe somebody has a dealer near them and would like to try this too.
Any thoughts on this?

I have been using the Cardo Scala Rider Q2, for about a year now.
And I love it.
It's small and compact, easy to use while riding. You don't have to mount a big box on your helmet or have cables plugged into everything.
I mainly use it for the bluetooth with my phone.
When I talk to people While Riding down the road, they have all told me they had no idea I was actually riding my motorcycle while talking to them.
I do use the fm radio also, mainly because I find ear buds a pain in the butt.
It's not the best stereo sound quality as far as speakers go. But I have never had a problem hearing music or conversation.
I have not used it for rider to rider comms, but it does allow connection to a primary buddy and a secondary buddy, through another Q2 only. It doesn't communicate with other brands. That is the only draw back I see with it.
But I bought it for the phone usage and radio. So I'm happy with it.

Thanks Robert, always good to hear from somebody that has used a product and you can trust his review. Internet is full of malcontents, I guess that why this forum works so well.
I going to try to talk my brother into getting one of these so we can chat back and forth when we ride.
I have a couple questions though; 1) Do you use a MP3 player for music? I live in a rural area and even if you can get reception the radio stations playlists normally suck. 2) Do you use earplugs? If so, can you hear the music over them?

Thanks Robert, always good to hear from somebody that has used a product and you can trust his review. Internet is full of malcontents, I guess that why this forum works so well.
I going to try to talk my brother into getting one of these so we can chat back and forth when we ride.
I have a couple questions though; 1) Do you use a MP3 player for music? I live in a rural area and even if you can get reception the radio stations playlists normally suck. 2) Do you use earplugs? If so, can you hear the music over them?

No I don't use an mp3 player. There is no hookup for one to the Cardo Q2.
I used to just use an mp3 player. But it was such a pain in the arse putting them in and then putting my helmet on and knocking them out of my ears. That's why I got the Cardo, so I wouldn't have to use ear buds.
The Cardo will sync up through bluetooth with a gps unit along with the phone and buddy riders, all at the same time.
So I am hoping in the future to try and get an mp3 player that I can sync up though the bluetooth link instead of the gps unit. I'm thinking it will work, but I can't garauntee that.
And I do not use earplugs. So I can't help you on that issue. But I know the volume goes up pretty loud. Loud enough to get above all the wind noise.
The Cardo has an automatic volume control that bumps up the volume automatically. But even the bike at idle bumps it up. So it stays in loud mode till you turn the bike off. It's like it knows when your Max is running.

If you are just looking for music. Get a good set of ear buds that will get loud, a $20 dollar pair from Walmart worked for me. You can run the wires behind the cheek pads of your helmet and just hang the buds in the hole where the chin strap goes through. Do it so that the body of the bud is being held in place by the cheek pad. I used to do this with a KBC VR1. I then ran the wires so they went under the collar of the helmet and came out the back. Never had any movement problems and I could still hear the trafic/road noise because the buds weren't actually in my ears. Even at highway speeds I could still hear the music at a normal level with just half volume. Full Volume was very loud and blocked out all other noise. I just hooked my ipod to them and it worked great. I did have one wire hanging but it was a really cheap setup to get music. And if I needed to take it out, just unsnap the cheek pads and pull the buds out.

Disclaimer. I did this to be cheap at the time, And I am by no means deaf so some of you older guys may need louder speakers.:whistlin:

Ended up going with Scala Q2. Love it! My daughter and I were riding 2-up, chit-chatting away when I hear a chime and it's a feed from my cell phone. Turns out the call was from my boss offering me overtime! Headset almost paid for itself already!

Thanks for all the helpful info and hope this little review helps others to make a good decision.

Blaine

Ended up going with Scala Q2. Love it! My daughter and I were riding 2-up, chit-chatting away when I hear a chime and it's a feed from my cell phone. Turns out the call was from my boss offering me overtime! Headset almost paid for itself already!

Thanks for all the helpful info and hope this little review helps others to make a good decision.

Blaine

Give us more feedback after you put some more miles on with it. Unfortunately we may have to wait for next spring.

I've been using the Q2 now for the last summer. It's been awesome as well and can report the same experiences as everyone else has. I have used it with my Blackberry's bluetooth MP3 player and it does work, though the sound quality wasn't the best, but I can't blame it totally on the headset. It's likely my blackberry causing some of the problem and the bluetooth connection as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these in the future.

Hey guys I know this is an old post but I used this set up while riding on a 400 mile trip and talked to a buddy on his multiset while we were anywhere from next to each other and up to 1/4 mile apart and sounded great. I found these on sale for 209.00 with free shipping on a website called http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com I talked to the owner and he told me he had several sets in stock. I ordered mine tonight and will give more feedback after a couple of times out.

Sorry about the wait. Had the Scala Q2 set a season and a half now and loving it. Stopped by the local parts store and saw they have an upgraded Scala that has much better range and "stereo" input so you can play your bluetooth tunes in stereo now (Q2 set is mono input).

Still, I'm happy with my Q2 set. I rarely get over 1/2 a mile away from my fellow riders so the range is adequate. They headsets have stood up well to the elements and battery charge lasts about 8 hours of riding use requiring about 2-3 hours to charge fully.

I really enjoy being able to chat to my passenger or fellow rider without all the yelling over wind/exhaust noises at speed. It adds a nice social element to trips. Good thing about these sets is that you can pair them to your cell phone so you can respond to family emergencies, calls for overtime, etc or simply turn this feature off if you do not want to be disturbed.

They sets can also be paired with other headsets so you can have more than 2-way chats. Chatting is in real-time (like a phone) so you don't have to wait for the other party to finish talking in case you need to speak up. The Q2 sets are wireless and can be paired up wireless to the Garmin Zumo 550 motorcycle GPS. These sets work well for both half-face or full-face helmets.

Hope this info is helpful.

Cheers!

Blaine

I recently picked up a iPhone 3gs and understand that the Scala rider pairs up with it pretty well so I'm looking at getting one for next season. I'm not going to buy one right away hoping for the latest/ greatest model next spring. I would like the option of having music to listen to on long trips but want to have a little more control over my player (iPhone) and ran across the Ijet wireless remote control but their website states that it's for the iPod. I ran across a review site that said it is compatible with the iPhone.
I know that some claims on the internet are not all that so I thought I would throw it out here for those more experianced with iPhones/ iPods to see if this might possibly work? I think having the volume/ track control in reach of your left hand (thumb?) might work well.

I got the new Scala Rider G4 this past Aug. I wrote up a review on it in the VBOOST that's coming up.

DEfinately loving the new A2DP Bluetooth connection. Stereo is much nicer than mono. Works great with my new EVO.

I got the new Scala Rider G4 this past Aug. I wrote up a review on it in the VBOOST that's coming up.

DEfinately loving the new A2DP Bluetooth connection. Stereo is much nicer than mono. Works great with my new EVO.

You'll love the better range over the Q2 as well. My scala signal dies off after about 1/4 mile distance from the other rider/headset but the Q4 is supposed to be good for 2 miles, if I remember correctly. Stereo sounds awesome too! I imagine it will pair up with all the newest Garmin motorcycle GPS' too.

Blaine

Back