"Heavier Steering" after radial conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btm_fdr

Reaction score
Am almost finished restoration/mods of my '90 Max.This is my 3d Max & the first that's I've converted to radial tires.Got a Sportmax rear(18" from John) & am using stock front rim.(John @ BRM Sportmax was awesome to deal with as usual BTW).Had Avon tires installed.Storm Ultra2 frt.in 110/80r/18 & Cobra rear 180/55zr/18.Bike handling is more stable & precise but noticably "heavier" turning.Previous Maxes had Metz 880s in stock sizes & steering seemed to be "lighter".Any ideas why steering seems to be "heavier''????

Am almost finished restoration/mods of my '90 Max.This is my 3d Max & the first that's I've converted to radial tires.Got a Sportmax rear(18" from John) & am using stock front rim.(John @ BRM Sportmax was awesome to deal with as usual BTW).Had Avon tires installed.Storm Ultra2 frt.in 110/80r/18 & Cobra rear 180/55zr/18.Bike handling is more stable & precise but noticably "heavier" turning.Previous Maxes had Metz 880s in stock sizes & steering seemed to be "lighter".Any ideas why steering seems to be "heavier''????

I noticed the same thing, wondered if it may be because of the additional 'stickiness' of the radials or, (in the case of my '99) the steering head bearings needed to be backed off about 1/8th turn....now it handles great....almost 'flickable!'

I noticed that after installing progressive springs and lowering the forks internally the steering felt "heavier" as well.

Not sure why I even bothered to mention that :biglaugh:.

Only thing that is crossing my mind, switching to radials lowers the front end as well. Some tire sizes more than others, obviously.

Why lowering the front would cause a "heavier" feel, I can't explain. You think it would be opposite? Lowering the front should decrease rake. Less rake normally means less stability in a straight line but easier to turn the bars.

I basically typing a bunch of incoherent thoughs right now, sorry.

My thought would be ; you have shifted a little more weight to the front end.......sort of like picking up a whell barrow, the higher you raise the handles, the weight is shifted to the front. just my .02 cents

I noticed that after installing progressive springs and lowering the forks internally the steering felt "heavier" as well.

Not sure why I even bothered to mention that :biglaugh:.

Only thing that is crossing my mind, switching to radials lowers the front end as well. Some tire sizes more than others, obviously.

Why lowering the front would cause a "heavier" feel, I can't explain. You think it would be opposite? Lowering the front should decrease rake. Less rake normally means less stability in a straight line but easier to turn the bars.

I basically typing a bunch of incoherent thoughs right now, sorry.

Depending on what wheel you went with out back you might also be getting a more pronounced gyroscopic effect out back with the bigger heavier wheel that transfers to the whole bike, making it more stable but feeling like you have to work harder to make it turn....When I put the boat anchor 18" RC's on mine it seemd to do this a little...Got used to it and don't notice it anymore, lowering the front forks should "quicken" it up a little I think, but the decreased fork rake is going to sacrifice stability maybe?

Depending on what wheel you went with out back you might also be getting a more pronounced gyroscopic effect out back with the bigger heavier wheel that transfers to the whole bike, making it more stable but feeling like you have to work harder to make it turn....When I put the boat anchor 18" RC's on mine it seemd to do this a little...Got used to it and don't notice it anymore, lowering the front forks should "quicken" it up a little I think, but the decreased fork rake is going to sacrifice stability maybe?
Rear Wheel is Sportmax from John Furbur.It is an RC Components mod'd to V max center.It is a heavy sucker,but great looking & went on easily.I also have thought like someone else said that 110/80r/18 lowers front thus shifting weight.All in all radial conversion seems like the cat's azz.THANX to all for your input.

Last edited:
mine actually felt the opposite, but i went from a 120/90 shinko to a 120/70 so huge weight difference.

mine actually felt the opposite, but i went from a 120/90 shinko to a 120/70 so huge weight difference.

Yeah, that's the same size I run on the front of mine. 120/70-18 Avon, probably gonna do a 110 next time.......The 120 is awful close to the FatMax front fender I put on there, so close I had to trim the excess rubber (unuesed cosmetic only) lip off the edge of the tire

The heavier steering you are describing is the over steering caused by smaller diameter tire vs stock front tire size, it would fee like the bike wants to fall in turns and you have to struggle to keep it up, that said smaller diameter tires cause quick steering in straights & slight weaving maneuvers but is unsettling when leaning the bike in a turn.
also using fatter rear tire makes nimble turning harder but looks nice when the bike is parked.
after trying all configurations of radials sizes I went back to stock size bias front and a 160/70X17 rear bias tire and honestly the bike handles much much better than with radials.
some people have the notion that radial tires are stickier, this is not true the rubber compounds used in both radial & bias is the same its the tire construction thats different, for a heavy bike like max bias tires perform better at least for the front and YES you can use a radial rear with a bias front with NO problem in high speed stability or turning.

Latest posts

Back