Heavy Duty Starter Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMAN999

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these Heavy Duty One Way Starter Clutches (with 6 rollers) ?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xvmax.TRS0&_nkw=vmax&_sacat=0

attachment.php

I just ordered one for $69.99 and I'm hoping it really does have 40% more holding power than the stock 3 roller starter clutch like the seller claims.
I saw the same one listed for about $129 last week and when I saw this one I went ahead and ordered it.

Any feedback would be great.

Attachments

• Heavy-Duty-Starter-Clutch-Ideal-Engine-Parts.jpg
    Heavy-Duty-Starter-Clutch-Ideal-Engine-Parts.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 221
It looks heavy duty Dennis. Keep us informed on the performance of it. If I needed one I'd not hesitate to try it. More clutching area, more grabbing power.
Tks for posting.
Steve-o

I'm hoping it works well.
I'll be installing it as soon as it arrives.
Hopefully this weekend.

It's installed and works Great !!!

Attachments

• Ideal-Starter-Clutch-on-Flywheel.jpg
    Ideal-Starter-Clutch-on-Flywheel.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 74
  • OEM-vs-Ideal-Starter-Clutch-copper-roller-side.jpg
    OEM-vs-Ideal-Starter-Clutch-copper-roller-side.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
  • OEM-vs-Ideal-Starter-Clutch-metal-cover.jpg
    OEM-vs-Ideal-Starter-Clutch-metal-cover.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 67
Has anyone used one of these Heavy Duty One Way Starter Clutches (with 6 rollers) ?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xvmax.TRS0&_nkw=vmax&_sacat=0

attachment.php

I just ordered one for $69.99 and I'm hoping it really does have 40% more holding power than the stock 3 roller starter clutch like the seller claims.
I saw the same one listed for about $129 last week and when I saw this one I went ahead and ordered it.

Any feedback would be great.
I bought a 3 pin a few months back from the same dealer and it works great.
I think it was around $35.

I bought a 3 pin a few months back from the same dealer and it works great.
I think it was around $35.
I almost bought that one but then I saw this HD version and figured it was worth the extra $35.
And hopefully it will last longer then the stock starter clutch did which was about 14 years. I just have to be sure to keep it out of any more ditches.

Rick Fambry bought the 6 roller HD version as well and installed it in his brother's Gen 1 in the parking lot at Thunder.

I grabbed a used one I had last time I needed one. This fits the bill if I change another.
What is everyone doing with the bolts to secure them? Peen, locktight, weld?

I went with the 6 roller, it's only been a few months, but works fine. I just red locktited the threads this time. Welding them works good, but is a p.i.a. to clean up on the next clutch change.
Steve-o

DM showed me the 3 pin but i have to say for the $ I went with Dmann999 and shot peened the bolts. Works fine with me.

I need to replace mine also on my 91.. I was wondering, if anyone ever used Locktite 648 on their clutch. I purchased a small bottle online for fixing tail output shafts on model helicopters. The tail rotor hub slides onto the tail output shaft. I had to fix a manufactures defect and this was the only logical option. These things spin around 15,000 RPM and I needed something strong..

Anyway, once this stuff is on, It doesn't come off without breaking the bolt. or using a blow torch.. I wondered if anyone took this route and used this stuff on their clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQyaPAZ9Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn5Q2pJ2gAo&list=PLKzbLQY57EGCAPc0DJPr98swXjOyAoFuB&index=46

What about the Morley mod. That one seems prett good, I like the design much better, tho I don't have one yet, but anyone here have one?IMG_2014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Sean's starter clutch is reported to be VERY good, it just cost a lot more than the other options.

^ Sean's starter clutch is reported to be VERY good, it just cost a lot more than the other options.

Yeah, it is pretty pricey, and thought of doing the machining required to have that set up but for just myself, I'm not sure I want to add another project at this time, but I really love the set up. It probably would be the last time you had to replace it

Yeah, it is pretty pricey, and thought of doing the machining required to have that set up but for just myself, I'm not sure I want to add another project at this time, but I really love the set up. It probably would be the last time you had to replace it

I haven't ever had to redo or warranty one of the heavy duty sprag versions. I suppose you could troll the Royal Star forums and see if they have any issues since that's the same style unit we use.

I went with the Morley HD sprag clutch in hopes that it will outlast me. Yes, it is pricey, but when you've been paying Harley prices for three decades, it is not a big deal for something that may outlast the engine or transmission.

DAMN IT!!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN IT!! I finally get my oil leak fixed and am finally riding and getting my idle circuit dialed in and today go to start my vmax.

It trys...I get just a hint of the rolling rocks and then whirrrrrrr whirrrr.
Starter clutch is OUT Again!!!! WTF!!!!!

I just replaced it not more than a month ago.

So I will be ordering one of these heavy duties. At least I'm am proficient in changing out starter clutches. I could do one in my sleep.:bang head:

The last time I did it I peened the allens and used blue lock tight on the crank bolt and allens. I swear I am at my wits end . And I have a huge Honda battery in a modified battery box that I keep on a tender so that cant be it. It is simply a real pain in the ass. Ok whining over wish me luck

Just a thought, but maybe that bigger battery is causing higher initial loads on the starter clutch than the standard battery would.

Just a thought, but maybe that bigger battery is causing higher initial loads on the starter clutch than the standard battery would.

I would have thought that the battery would only supply what the starter wanted?

Mr Sufidancer, did you replace all of the components in the starter clutch assembly i.e. #7 on the parts fische?
Alternatively, have you used silicon sealer rather than a gasket as this can cause the assembly to bind.

Back