Help! I broke my fork "air collar".

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89max

Reaction score
So I got my forks all back together (progressive springs, 15wt. oil) and was pumped about getting everything back together, when I slammed myself right into the old proverbial "brick wall".
I was re-installing the "air collars" back on, I didn't have the circlips back on the fork tubes and one side slipped down too far, the o-ring slipped into the groove for the clip, and it was stuck!
Long story short, I finally got it back off, but it split in two in the process.

Here's what I'm talking about:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjMtMjAxMDAzMDgtMTUwO.jpg

And here's the broken side:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjItMjAxMDAzMDgtMTUwO.jpg

The only way I can get a new one is to buy the whole thing ($175 from Ron Ayers). So, does anyone know where I can get just the one "collar", or an easy way to plug the holes in the fork tubes? Because I don't even plan on putting any air back in them, but it still needs to be sealed.

I'm stuck until I can figure something out, and it's getting warmer and warmer here everyday!

Thanks in advance! By the way, my bike is an 89, 40mm forks obviously.

I have them and a lot cheaper then that BUT!!! take the pos off of there. Weld the holes shut and grind it smooth again. With the forks setup properly you don't need air. Then you can even lower the forks externally a little if you wanted to.

I have used very small plugs before but the welding is much better.

Sean

i think others have just used jb weld. let them confirm tho.

i just welded mine over when i installed the progressive kit. 5 mins of welding and grinding is all that is required.

Just to be sure, JB Weld is holding up fine? Did you "rough" up the outside of the tube before applying it, or just put it on smooth?

I might be getting a new one from a member on here anyhow, but just to keep my options open, JB might be a good idea.

Thanks everyone!

I've been thinking of JB-welding mine shut too, so if you do it take some pics and let us know how you end up doing it - rough or smooth, grind afterward etc..

Just have them TIG welded shut! I did mine and didn't have to use a grinder. I just touched it up with a file ever so slightly. Go TIG weld!

Gannon

Latest posts

Back