Help Identify these Flasher Wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm gearing up to install some Led turn signals and have been reading up on what needs to be done with the wiring to make them work. In addition to a diode at the turn signal indicator, I've been reading you need to usually wire in a relay other than the one on the bike. I'm not so clear on the wiring but Custom Dynamics carries a universal flasher that they show works with Yahmaha crusers , which the wiring harness plug in the example looks pretty close to what we have on the Vmax. Here's the two pictures they have on their website which show that once you disconnect the plug to the relay on the left side of the bike, you wire in there's like shown...They show hooking up only three of the I believe 6 wires on that plug (ground, hot wire, and wire to the signals). Can anyone tell me what the remaining wires on the plug are for and what you would loose if you hook up the flahser like they show. Thanks

Attachments

• Flasher Plug.jpg
    Flasher Plug.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Flasher Plug 2.jpg
    Flasher Plug 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 27
I used the two wire flasher from customdynamics and it has worked great for me. They say you lose the self cancelling turns when you go aftermarket, but I don't think mine ever worked anyway!!

Attachments

• Flasherprep (Medium).jpg
    Flasherprep (Medium).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Flasherwirein.jpg
    Flasherwirein.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 34
The simplest way to fix the problem is a Kuryakyn diode kit. About $6-$8 and a little work up by the gauge cluster.

Sean

They will blink fast but will blink. Without it they blink all at once. You could do it even easier by simply removing the indicator bulb from the gauge cluster. To blink slower you will still need another fix (i've seen a cheapo fix of wiring in an extra set of hidden bulbs to increase the draw rate).

Sean

They will blink fast but will blink. Without it they blink all at once. You could do it even easier by simply removing the indicator bulb from the gauge cluster. To blink slower you will still need another fix (i've seen a cheapo fix of wiring in an extra set of hidden bulbs to increase the draw rate).

Sean
Theres another way, i've posted this some time ago in electrical section.
With my mod they will blink only a little faster. No biggie.

Since I damaged my turn signals, I was thinking going for LED.
It seems to be the best option for a large choice of turn signals.

Most of the LED relay i have seen are 2 or 3 pins type and 10 or 20A.
I'm confused about what type I should get and how it has to be wired?

I have checked the electrical section of the forum but I'm still confused about it.

Better to let you know I'm far from an electrical genius hehe

003.jpg

001.jpg

I went with a flasher relay from Badlands , I also mounted it inside my headlight very easy install had for 2yrs works great. JIM

I've tried a couple different automotive typle Electronic relays and did not have any luck. Check out this thread and follow the link in it to another thread for more info on getting LED's to work.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10877

As Sean mentioned here, if you remove the indicator bulb from your gauge cluster (that is the bulb that lets you know you turn signal is on) they should work. They will blink fast, but they should work.

If you want to keep the indicator light, then you need a couple of diodes installed on the bulb wiring. You can buy your own for a dollar or buy the Kuryakyn kit for a few more.

If you want to get the flash rate back to normal you need to either buy a new electronic flasher relay, OR install resistors, OR you can do the hidden bulb trick. I installed a new relay from custom dynamics and it worked great.

I think I got it now reading your post and custom dynamics explanation about the wiring.
I will get one of those relay and plug it instead of the current one.
I think that's the most easy and plug&play solution and I can go back to stock anytime I want.

Thanks Mike for the feedback :eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back