How do I stop brake squeal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GARY McCoy at Mondak!!!!!

Make sure you bed them in correctly. Read the instructions or they will be just as bad as the stockers.

well yea, but its still gonna be $$ and time. plus i've been talkign with galfer, i've done everything to the T.

this JUST started once the weather got colder. i have like 2k miles on the rotors/brakes, they're broken in!

GARY McCoy at Mondak!!!!!

Make sure you bed them in correctly. Read the instructions or they will be just as bad as the stockers.

+1 yup sure makes a difference, plus helps the performance of the brake pads.

bedding not an issue. may try silicone or caliper grease. see how that goes.

Little silicone spray on the back side of the pad will cure it... My back brake was doing the same things,, i have 3M spray it cured it !

where would one find it. hardware store?

did u spray the back of your pads?

picked up some silicone spray and anti-pad squeak from auto zone. we'll see how the anti-pad squeak stuff works first.

Well the only solution I found to this problem was to ditch the oem pads and switch to HH Pads.
I've never had break squeal again. And I'm putting on the third set tomorrow.

put some anti squeak on the backs of th erear pads. seems to have helped just moving the tire. its pouring out so tests will happen either sun or mon.

where would one find it. hardware store?

did u spray the back of your pads?

Yes back of the pads only, that is more than likely where the squeal is coming from... I got the 3M stuff from my old job,,, sure any silicone will work...

My back was driving me nuts, i thought pads,rotors?? Friend suggested the slicone spray and it worked like a charm...

will try that if the anti squeak goop doesn't work

learned a few things:

1. anti squeak goop shit basically almost acts like a glue. that explains the MASSIVE feedback i got initially then after 50 - 60 miles the squeak was just back.
2. rotor still has some spots that make it squeak ever so slightly when rotating the wheel by itself. hard to reproduce to see if its rotor spot specific or not.
3. brakes still work great.
4. tried silicone. results tomorrow. otherwise its another call to galfer. gotta get this fixed before ~1k mile trip for pizza.

My 06 had terrible squeal unless you really grabbed a handful of brake....I could not bring myself to replace the pads, they still were 75%. I took the pads off and grabbed a sheet of 100 grit sand paper, laid the paper flat on the smooth garage floor and using a circular motion, rubbed the contact area (face) of the brake pads. Put the pads back on, and have not had a single squeak out of them for over 2000 miles. The newer gen 1 bikes have HH pads on them from the factory, so I could not see buying replacements. Hope this helps.

My 06 had terrible squeal unless you really grabbed a handful of brake....I could not bring myself to replace the pads, they still were 75%. I took the pads off and grabbed a sheet of 100 grit sand paper, laid the paper flat on the smooth garage floor and using a circular motion, rubbed the contact area (face) of the brake pads. Put the pads back on, and have not had a single squeak out of them for over 2000 miles. The newer gen 1 bikes have HH pads on them from the factory, so I could not see buying replacements. Hope this helps.

thanks man, so far this morning the silicone spray worked like a champ! finally!

we'll see in time, but i usually had squeaking by now. give it another few miles this week.

if that doesn't work i'll try the sand paper. how many 'circular' motions would you say you did to each pad? also how hard did u press. could u see paper marks on the surface of the pads?

i thought sand paper was just to get rid of the glazing or something so thats good to know as well!

Not sure exactly....I just kept moving the pad in different motions to keep the material removal even. The front pads on the later model gen 1 are "HH" from the factory, and they are hard as @##%. You don't have to worry about taking too much off....just keep even pressure on it, and go until the surface looks a different color and texture than what you started with. Sanding worked great for me, I even tried the silicon, and anti-squeal compound to no avail.

i follow. i replaced the fronts with EBC's much better and no sounds what so ever.

this is all rear. galfer pads and rotor. silicone not a peep on the way home. only 35 miles today, more results as the week goes on.

got some squeak back today, but its not constant. its at a certain point on the rotor each time. can't reproduce on the groudn tho, only when moving.

will have to swap rotor around to different mount holes.

got some squeak back today, but its not constant. its at a certain point on the rotor each time. can't reproduce on the groudn tho, only when moving.

will have to swap rotor around to different mount holes.

if your pullin' them off check them for roundness or being true since you got them in your hand.

if your pullin' them off check them for roundness or being true since you got them in your hand.

is there a way to check for true w/out bringing it to the machine shop?

i know mike had said get a piece of glass and some feeler gauges but i don't really have either handy.

today the squeal sounded rotational, like same spot each time. if i can prove that its the rotor then galfer will replace it, but if they get it back and its fine i have to eat the cost of both. ugh. im really really sick of this rear wheel, i've had more f'n problems with it.

i want to just scrap it and get ebc rotor and pads, worked great and they're much more stable than the galfers.

Latest posts

Back