how many KM/h you lose with replacing front and rear rims with 17'

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, i took my ride for a spin i made about 300 Kilometres after my big investment usd forks with gsxr rim front, rear max daddy ufo rear wheel 17' bored to 1300cc in TTS performance with carillo rods and je pistons. my bike was very quick but i noticed that when i reached 219 couldnt go much faster. with original wheel i could see in my digital speedo about 248!!!!!!!!!

how many Kilometres you lose with replacing your original rims with 17 inch rims !!!! does anybody have an idea. ?????
i dint like the feeling at all.
can i install 180-70zr17 tyre???? will it fit my original swing arm????

This my bike and it has to be faster
rsz_Φωτογραφία093.jpg

rsz_Φωτογραφία007.jpg

rsz_vmax3.jpg

rsz_vmax2.jpg

pending on the diameter of the tire vs the stock, that will chg the ratio.

what tire are you running on the back/front

according to your chg in speed its a 14.2% chg, should be close to what the tire difference is

I think they started making some 190/55/17's which will be taller. Even some of the narrower sizes will be taller. You need tire diameter increase for more top end speed and less diameter for quicker acceleration. I could sell you one of my overdrive transmissions which would let you get 320 kph if you had enough hp and room. You could get a venture rear diff (which will slow overall acceleration) and have a 10% increase in current top speed (get you closer to stock kph with that shorter tire).

Sean

:punk: Hey, you need to fix the speedometer drive gear to match the O.D. of your new tire. Speedometer runs off the front tire and your new tire is 3" smaller in diameter than the original. Your back tire is almost 1" smaller in diameter but will have no effect on the accuracy of the speedometer. Hope this helps. Spur

:ummm: Wow, hard to believe a one inch tire difference would make a 30KPH difference. Spurs

The tire diameter effects the top speed you are able to go. A taller tire lets you have more top speed, lowering cruising rpms (at a given speed), and a little less acceleration. A shorter tire (like your 17" wheel has), will let you accelerate faster though it will make higher rpm's at the same given speed when compared with the taller OEM size and a lower top speed (which is what you are experiencing).

NONE of these factors will effect speedo accuracy if you have the same size front wheel/tire combo and are using the stock drive. Of course a shorter (or taller) front tire will make the reading off and require a different drive to be accurate. Your digital drive setup only requires a reset of the input signal to speedo ratio to get it reading correctly again.

A replacement rear differential effects both the top speed capability as well as acceleration. The stock gearing equals a 3.66 gear ratio, meaning that for every turn the output of the tranmission worm gear makes it will turn the rear wheel 3.66 turns. The venture/royal star DIFFERENTIAL has a 3.33 gear ratio (an approx 10% change). So that same single turn of the engine turns the rear wheel 3.33 turns. If you have a shorter tire it has the effect of increasing the effective gear ratio (to say a 3.99) and helps acceleration but hurts top speed.

Our overdrive replaces 5th gear only so that the 1st through 4th gears remain the same and where most people play (run the bike hard). 5th gear becomes more like a 7th gear and reduces the engines rpm's by approx 25% compared to stock 5th gear. It does require splitting the engine cases and performing an undercut job to get it all working smoothly (and it's super smooth when we get done). The downside is the cost ($800 and up) and the requirement for the engine to be removed and opened up to install.

The simpler option for Vmax1260 would be the rear diff replacement. Simple to do and will get his top speed back to what he had originally. BUT, the bike will feel slower (a little bit) since it effects every gear.

Hello guys, i took my ride for a spin i made about 300 Kilometres after my big investment usd forks with gsxr rim front, rear max daddy ufo rear wheel 17' bored to 1300cc in TTS performance with carillo rods and je pistons. my bike was very quick but i noticed that when i reached 219 couldnt go much faster. with original wheel i could see in my digital speedo about 248!!!!!!!!!

how many Kilometres you lose with replacing your original rims with 17 inch rims !!!! does anybody have an idea. ?????
i dint like the feeling at all.
can i install 180-70zr17 tyre???? will it fit my original swing arm????

This my bike and it has to be faster
Buy Yourself a venture rear drive.

I have similar setup and done that long time ago and its a BIG diffrence and most defo "must to do" with 17" rear wheel.

BTW, I've heard that theres a V-MAX BIKE MEET in Greece at 14-07 on KRETA?

what ????? where ????? who told you that???? i dont know anything about a v-max meeting in greece - crete????????? i must find out . IF THERE IS A V-MAX MEETING IN GREECE I HAVE TO BE THEREEEEEEEE

Theres one PL v-max owner that he claims to supouse to be in Greece now.

He post that on PL forum that v-maxers will meet on Crete 14th july.

I was curious and when I saw that You are from Greece i tought that I will ask.

I dont know is that tru couse I always found that guy as an idiot, moron and complete lier.

i have a lots vmax friends in greece . we have also a many vmax groups in facebook. nobody knows anything about a v-max meeting in greece !!!!!!!!! if there was i would defintely knew something about that

i have a lots vmax friends in greece . we have also a many vmax groups in facebook. nobody knows anything about a v-max meeting in greece !!!!!!!!! if there was i would defintely knew something about that

Well like I said hes an idiot and here it comes again...dont mind that - he lied again...

Latest posts

Back