How much extra lighting can a V-max handle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinking about replacing my stock bulb with the below one; however, wanted to get some feed back on any electrical issues I may encounter when swamping this out. All advice and suggestions are appreciated.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Xenon 5000K Super White Halogen HID Light Bulb H4[/FONT]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-V-MA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0d4f9403&vxp=mtr

Hid use less power than halogen

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KBFTOuQz7YbRUckIw&sig2=dsxbNZBghvbc4fx6mD6Ycg

Was thinking about replacing my stock bulb with the below one; however, wanted to get some feed back on any electrical issues I may encounter when swamping this out. All advice and suggestions are appreciated.
It's the wattage/ amperage that's important, when concerned about the added draw on the electrical system. I didn't see any mention of this in the literature, only that the bulbs are 12 volt nominal.
Don't be fooled by the advertized color of the light(in this case 5000k)- yes, the headlight will appear to be very white...probably more eye-catching in the daytime....but it's the lumens (light output) that are important as far as extra visibility for the rider during nightime.
Worth firing off a e-mail to the supplier, Mr. Blackjack, for this additional info.
Cheers!

Was thinking about replacing my stock bulb with the below one; however, wanted to get some feed back on any electrical issues I may encounter when swamping this out. All advice and suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-V-MA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0d4f9403&vxp=mtr

Remember that HID usually requires a completely different reflector as the light from HID disperses differently than from an incandescent bulb.

So while HID may be brighter, it may not be all that good (and possibly illegal depending where you live) unless you also get a new reflector that's suited to it.

I run with 2 blue led lights, 2 white led lights extra for the front, 12 blue led lights under the filter air cleaner box and extra tail light mounted to the grab rail. My head light is on a switch on the lift hand side of the bike. I always crank the bike up with out the head light being on. And I cut the head light on at night. All other lights are running lights.

Attachments

• P1020902.JPG
    P1020902.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 20
  • P1020900.JPG
    P1020900.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 20
  • vmax lift side blue.jpg
    vmax lift side blue.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax right side blue light.jpg
    vmax right side blue light.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P1020903.JPG
    P1020903.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 21
I run with 2 blue led lights, 2 white led lights extra for the front, 12 blue led lights under the filter air cleaner box and extra tail light mounted to the grab rail. My head light is on a switch on the lift hand side of the bike. I always crank the bike up with out the head light being on. And I cut the head light on at night. All other lights are running lights.

Fair warning. I am stealing most of these ideas. Those are very nice, subtle improvements.

Ever more the transformer bike :)

Are those micro lazer LED in the scoop

Fair warning. I am stealing most of these ideas. Those are very nice, subtle improvements.

Ever more the transformer bike :)

Zack, go right ahead, I learn so much from all the guy's here.

Attachments

• vmax 800 front lighs.JPG
    vmax 800 front lighs.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 17
Are those micro lazer LED in the scoop

The blue led hole is 9"16 the lights, shows up well.

Make sure for clearance that the light rear that's extended in the scoop clears the plastic parts on the frame. I like them close to the frame so I cut in to the black frame plastic to make they fit close like in the picture. I bought the lights from advance auto. I lift the wiring to the light about 20" long - when I take the scoop off it can reach the seat..

Back