how to check the wet level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
I adjusted the dry float level last time I opened the carbs, but I would like to check if everything is fine without opening everything again.
I saw in a post of NauthyG that was the way to go (here).
Can somebody give me the steps ? Maybe a good post I didn't read yet ?

Thanks

using clear vinyl tubing from the float drains - tubing needs to be long enough to come out past the float bowls and then turn up enough to keep the open end above the carb. bike needs to be level. open the drain screws to let the fuel leve come up in the tubing. this will give you a visual of how far up the inside bowl the level is... as for where it should be, check the service manual, but at least you'll be able to see if one is off from the others (i.e. bad float, etc.)

ok, quick search gave me a measurement of 16mm down from the top of the carb bowl for the best fill. (making sure carbs are all level) so keeping the open end of tube at top of float bowl, ideal level is 16mm lower.

Last edited:
There is a horizontal line cast into the side of the carb bodies. On the left carbs the line faces the back tire, on the right carbs the line faces the front tire. Take a look at a diaphragm cover and then peek around the corner of the carb and you will see the line.

As mentioned, use clear tubing to check the height. Measure 17mm from one end and mark a line. Attach the opposite end to the drain hose.

Open the carb drain screw. Line the end of the clear tubing up the mark cast on the carb. Turn the key on and let the fuel pump cycle. You can get inaccurate readings if the fuel bowls are not full.

I think there is a thread with pics on here somewhere. If so, that thread should be integrated with the sticky that shows how to set them on the bench.

Thanks guy for the informations, I will try that over the WE.
I think I almost read all the thread in the carb section but never saw a good explanation about the wet level, only the dry one. Maybe I just missed it :)

Not to ask a stupid question but here it goes, is this only possible when you have the bike on the center stand..I would think you need the bike to be level to get an accurate reading? I need to check mine, I did the dry adjustment , never verfied the wet setting..

Normally if your dry setup is good the wet should be too, it's just a way to double check without opening everything.
About the level, the service manual says "bike on level ground and support it with the center stand". But I will have thought like you.

Back