HP through the years

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FIRELS1

Reaction score
Is it true that the 85 vmax is the only one that made 145 hp at the flywheel? If so why is this and how can I get my 95 up to the power level of the 85? Thanks, Joey

All years, Same HP....:biglaugh: As soon as the Mod Monkey gets a grip on your wallet, Horse Power will come easily...

That the 1985 models delivered more HP is an olds wives tale. I believe it originated due to the performance of a few 1985 models Yamaha 'massaged' and provided to various journalists for riding and testing (including 1/4 mile track time). These first year models performed better than later, 'off the shelf' models and it was presumed that somehow the 85s produced more power. In 1986 Yamaha did make the exhaust a little more restrictive to meet db level requirements, but increased the size of the V-boost tubes to compensate. Yamaha officially claimed 145hp from 1985 until 2007 for North American V-Maxs. Other markets (France and others) received their Maxs capped at a claimed 100hp via elimination of the V-boost and perhaps more restictive heads(?).

Nuff said....I've walked a few 85's in the past with my 89 in stock trim at the time......old wives tale for sure

Yes, it's an old rumor that keeps being propagated by the '85 owners, more as an "inside joke" so to speak. The fact that 85's had slightly louder exhausts adds fuel to this myth(because noise= power), but 85's also have smaller v-boost tubes.

The bigger issue is that 85-89's produce 0hp when their analog ignition box craps out and they won't start.

I suspect the Vmax got slightly(as in a few pounds) heavier over the years, as updates included wider forks, bigger brakes, more internal case webbing, ect.

My anlog ignition has been doin fine for 22 years. If it ever shits out on me i'll stick a dyna 3g in it. Now that we talked about it, it'll probably will :biglaugh:.........11.16 @120 on bias plys.....gettin close to the ole 10

My anlog ignition has been doin fine for 22 years. If it ever shits out on me i'll stick a dyna 3g in it. Now that we talked about it, it'll probably will :biglaugh:.........11.16 @120 on bias plys.....gettin close to the ole 10

Do you have a place to buy Dyna3000's ? If so, care to share that info?
Thanks.
Steve

I would guess schnitz motorsports or any other high performance parts vendor

You might want to snatch one up if they have one on the shelf. Dyna no longer makes them for the analog ignition and they are getting spendy if they do pop up on fleabay.

The '85 would technically be a tad quicker due to the lighter front wheel, which is doubly effective since it's rotating weight. I've never seen any proof of a power difference between any year based on all the posted dyno info, though.

What are the specs of torque, hp and what rpm do they occur?

MCS (Motorcycle specifications .com)said that the motor was detuned for the British market down to 95 h.p..I guess thats without the V boost.Maybe they couldnt handle all that power like we can in the U.S.A..

Will somebody tell me if Dale Walkers "Hole shot" mod kit worth doing? I have a '92, with only a little over 13,000 miles on it. The forks aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell. Suggestions?
Thank you.

Nothing really is wrong with DW parts.
Most people will get rid of the air, add some progressive springs and race tech emulators and you'll be a happy camper.
As soon as I get a few $ in the black, I'm going to go get me some race tech emulators as well.

Back