I guess I'd be pissed too...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
If I were flying about minding my own business and got sucked up some sleeve at 70mph. I get pelted by bugs all the time. This the first time I have been stung while riding since I bought my first streetbike in '94. At
least I guess it's good to know I haven't inherited my dad's allergic reaction.
Though I have to confess, 2 diphenhydramine pills in the middle of the afternoon knocked my arse out for a good nap.

I would think that has happened to about anyone who rides. I got stung in the side while riding by what I don"t know. All I remember is it felt like a lit cigarette beiing put out in my side. Worst part was I could not stop right away to try to pull the stinger out. My side hardened up pretty quick. Got home took the diphenhydramine felt better. I still felt it the next day. Just glad I wear a full face I hear them bounce off the visor all the time.

Years ago, doing my Yamaha mechanic thing, was test riding a new 650 street bike, cruising back to the shop - going about 45 mph, heard a thud on the headlight. Glanced down and saw this huge bee tumbling over the handlebars and land right in my lap! Stood up on the pegs to try and brush it away ... not a pretty site when you're going over a highway overpass with cars all around you ... but too late; nailed me good on the inside upper thigh. Walked funny for the next couple days !! Luckely, no bee stings since this episode.

Years ago I had a bumblebee go down my semi-open collar of my leather and down to my stomach area where it proceded to sting me not only once but twice before I could get the bike pulled over and rip my jacket off, knock him to the ground and step on him!! People in cars around me must have been wondering what the hell I was doing....Yup bumblebees can sting more than once. Now you know how I know. :rofl_200:

I don't wanna sound like
I'm trying too hard to be bad ass, but I just shook it out of my sleeve and examined the sting and got the stinger out after I got home. It wasn't bothering me that badly beyond the initial.

Never got bit by anything, though every so often if I'm riding around with my visor up a bug finds it's way past the pads and gets "trapped" around my ear, which gets annoying pretty damn fast.

Bumblebees make a very heft splat on a visor though....bad enough I rode around with it up until I could clean it off since it pretty much blocked out a lane of traffic.

One of the many benefits of wearing a full helmet on a bike....

Bumblebees make a very heft splat on a visor though....bad enough I rode around with it up until I could clean it off since it pretty much blocked out a lane of traffic.
Dragonflies the size of small birds make a decent splat, too LOL.

FYI, for anyone who doesn't know, when you are stung, do not try to "pull-out" the stinger, as that's like squeezing a toothpaste tube full of insect venom into your skin. Use your driver's license or a credit card to scrape-across the skin surface where the stinger is lodged. This prevents much of the venom from being absorbed.

If you saw a microvideo of the aftermath of a honeybee sting, the stinger 'pulses' after it breaks-off and that's like Autolube, it continues to push toxin into you.

If you really wanna be in the spirit of the moment, look-up "Bee Bumble and the Stingers," on youtube, and listen to "Nut Rocker." A great instrumental! Kids of a certain age learning how to play music tried to play like the Ventures, the Surfaris, Dick Dale, and for keyboardists, Bee Bumble!

Had a long (maybe 3 mile) straight away readily available to me as I left my workplace, on a warm, Summer afternoon.
Was riding a 1400 Suzuki Intruder, and if the "coast was clear", I nearly always took the opportunity to open it up.
Pulled onto the main road & got on it.
Shortly after hitting 110 I got popped in the right cheek(not a full face helmet) with something hard.

Shortly thereafter burning pain & immediate swelling.
Rode hard for home; I'm allergic to bee stings.
By the time I got home my right eye was swollen shut.
Loaded up on benadryl, and headed for the ER (called ahead) in my pickup.
By the time I got there my stomach & back were covered with welts & bright red blotches of skin.
They did their thing at the ER & a couple of hours later I was on my way (nodding off) home in my wife's car.
Slept for 12 hours straight.

Wouldn't have been good if I'd got hit 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere.:confused2:
Now on long rides I always carry an anakit.

Jester42

I had one go up my sleeve last year or the year before, i smashed it on my forearm because i didn't want it going up higher but he stung me anyway. I was also t boned by a bird.

Two years ago I caught a cicada right in the adam's apple at about 70.

I saw it flash in my headlight briefly before it was swept up over my windscreen and "thwack" right in the throat. Left a pretty nice welt.

I didn't know cicada's flew around at night.

I've had my lip bloodied by an overly large KS grasshopper one time. But you haven't been riding right if you've never been blasted right between the eyes with a MAMMOTH MOTH while doing 90mph. There's not enough shirt tail on a man's shirt that'll clean that mess up good enough to continue riding with the same pair of safety glasses - they have a lot of guts.

Been stung many times by bees that ended up in my shirt sleeves, then proceed to sting away! Worse thing I have ever been hit with while riding was bird crap. No kidding, I was cruising at about 50 and all of the sudden my face was completely covered with the most obnoxious smelling and looking stuff I have ever seen in my life. I thought I had hit something, but after pulling over and cleaning up, we realized it was defecation from a seagull or other large bird! It was completely covering my face and the front of my shirt. Glad I wasn't too far from home and a shower!

I just got stung by a bee yesterday.My Max was parked,left my helmet hanging on the left bar.While I was away a bee flu into it.When I put it on the little criter crawled out & stung me in the neck.Good thing im not alergic."Now" I all ways check it when I leave it outside.I also had an ant problem once,when I left my helmet on the lawn.:rofl_200:

Full face helmet , gloves over the cuffs...guess why ?...:rofl_200:

But deep down inside , I wish those fools that ride in shorts and wife-beaters ride through a ' flock ' of june bugs...:biglaugh:

Back