I need some help bad!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89VMAXBK

Reaction score
hey guys im new to the forum and i just got me a 89 vmax. i have crazy quest. so any help will help me. ok i just put brand new battery in n i checked it, its at 12.4V. i bought bike from uncle he had 2 of them. he told me he got it back running n he cleaned out the old gas and the tank. he just told me thAT he could crank it n it wouldnt stay running with out giving it a lil gas. n he told me the first thing to do is replace fuel pump. ok its at my house new battery turn the key everything primes up still has the old fuel pump but it does work, so when i push the start button nuthin at all happened. so i tested the starter relay no power to it. so i found were the break in the wire was fixed that its gets power. so now when i try starting it, it makes one lil noise then when i let off it makes one more clicking sound. so im thing it is my starter might be stuck. n i could lightly tap the starter n maybe it will turn over.

so anyone have any clue?

yes it was in the run position n was in neutral and would pulling the clutch have anything to do with it turning over cuz my uncles will start without pulling clutch if its in neutral. n i also have to bleed the clutch tom after work i had a rebuild master clutch ass with a rebuild kit my uncle had. he ordered 1 n they sent him 2. so he give me one.

I always start with the clutch pulled in and do believe there is a switch there. So you can't turn it over in case it is gear. Also did you try with the kick stand up as there is a switch there as well, that won't let you start if it is gear. It could be bad, Just guessing.

yeah about the kick stand i guess the person before me by passed it cuz i saw that there is no wire to the kick stand switch. ok ill try all that stuff when i get it bleeded all good. n yes bought a new battery, after charging was done i checked it it was 12.4V thats wut a fully charged battery is supposed to be right? could i ask u a question on how to bleed the clutch? wut all do u do? i would really thank u if u could give me like a step by step to bleed the clutch cuz i want to do it right,
thanks

Make sure you reply here if you can get it to turn over and start as I am sure someone else will give you suggestions as what might going on or what to try. There is lots of great people here that will help.

+1 on the syringe method for doing the clutch. Don't depress it too fast, though, bad things happen up at the reservoir. Don't ask how I know. :bang head:

ok thank u for all ur help. n yes i can c that this thead this one of the best threads for the vmax i have read a lot of threads in here n they r really good a givin great answers. the thread bout the person paying $20 to the winner of the problem with the bike bout the same problem i was having. n yeah ill be sure to let ya know wut happens tom when i try those suggestions, thanks again. n ill look at the forum u posted bout the bleeding.

+1 on the syringe method for doing the clutch. Don't depress it too fast, though, bad things happen up at the reservoir. Don't ask how I know. :bang head:

were do i get one of those syringes at? n so the clutch bleeding is a lil more difficult?

It's not really more difficult, I think it was just less messy doing it with the syringe. I got mine at a farm and home store, like Tractor Supply Co. The syringes were for giving horses injections, I think. You'll also need some clear tubing to fit on the syringe and bleeder valve, which I got at the hardware store.

It's not really more difficult, I think it was just less messy doing it with the syringe. I got mine at a farm and home store, like Tractor Supply Co. The syringes were for giving horses injections, I think. You'll also need some clear tubing to fit on the syringe and bleeder valve, which I got at the hardware store.

alright dude i appreciate it. ill let yal know how it goes tom after work lol. thanks guys

so i tested the starter relay no power to it. so anyone have any clue?

When you say there is no power to starter relay what wires are you talking about?

Should always be power if you measure from the large red wire to ground. That wire hooks direct to the battery.

If your not getting the power from the start switch to the relay to enable the relay to close then you may want to check the kickstand switch, clutch switch, and diode pack.

When you say there is no power to starter relay what wires are you talking about?

Should always be power if you measure from the large red wire to ground. That wire hooks direct to the battery.

If your not getting the power from the start switch to the relay to enable the relay to close then you may want to check the kickstand switch, clutch switch, and diode pack.

well i fixed the problem of it not having power. when i would press the start button nuthing would happen at all. the starter relay wouldnt even make a clicking at all. so i traced the wire to the start button n that was it. somewere in between the start button n the relay was worng so i just ran a new wire to relay n it has power now. but now i makes 1 click when i press the start n 1 more click when i let off the button. that was bc my battery had gotton low so rechargered it. tried it again it seemed like it had a lot more power cuz battery was fully chargered but still didnt turn the starter at all. so then i tapped the starter n it tried to turn, but very very slow. i tried this for awhile the i took starter off n did a bench test. n it worked. n spun fast but it seemed like it slowd down faster than normal. so im thinking it just needs to be rebuilt. i think its the stock 89' starter n i dont think its ever been taken off before.
wut do u think?
one more quest were can i find a carb sync at?

I ordered my Sync Pro from the local Yamaha dealer, but you can find them online at the Mega Motorcycle Mart type webpages. If you are want to you can even build one yourself. Some of the members have and even have neat pictures of them to help. Bit frankinstien looking contraptions.

Good luck chasing down your woes and I hope you get it solved so you don't loose too many riding days.

Ok I will do something. Is there a step by step on how to sync the carbs?
I did find out that my starter has Dead spots in it so I have to have that redone. I'm just gonna go ahead n have a place rebuild the whole starter. The guy I talked to said it might be around $100. Thats better than $270 lol.
Let yal know wut happens when I put it all in. N I'ma go ahead n clean the carbs all up.
So hopefully it should start right up! Oh I really hope so. I'm so ready to ride!!!!

Or, I have the later model better starters available too. About what you are planning to pay to have your early model rebuilt for.

Sean

Back