Instrument Cluster gone Berzerk!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Today I killed my instrument cluster ... I think.

Has anybody else seen anything like this. I took the bike out for a nice thrashing. On the way home, the instrument cluster went berzerk. No neutral light. RPMs at zero until I start moving, then they are all over the place. No blinkers. If I hit the horn, no sound, but the RPM needle drops to zero!

I took it off the bike. Connectors look good. Reconnected the white and red wire harnesses, but still does the same crazy stuff when reconnected.

Do you think it is just the instrument cluster, or symptom of something else?

Should I buy the used on on Ebay for $110 or should I look elsewhere?

Any input is appreciated.

The horn isn't a part of the cluster so I would look further up the electrical system. Perhaps the fuse box. Use a test light or meeter and test starting at the signal fuse.

Sounds like you have two or more circuits shorted to one another, give the harness a good look along with the connectors, maybe somthing got pinched somewhere?..........any moisture involved?.......Washed the bike before the ride or get caught in the rain?......................Tom.

FIXED!

It was just a 10A fuse that was blown. Good call guys.

I replaced it and now everything works.

Strange thing is, why did it blow? It wasn't in the rain, and it hasn't been washed for months. But, it has pretty much been sitting all winter in my garage waiting for the rain to go away.

Hopefully its not a crossed circuit or chafing, or something annoying like that.

We'll see if it acts up again with the new fuse.

Thanks for the suggestions and the quick feedback. I stupidly didn't even think to check the fuses.

i blew that fuse once muking around with my shift light, maybe water got in and shorted something?

Yeah it was kind of weird. We went out to dinner about 15 miles away. No issues. Then hopped on, stared driving back, and about 1 mile into the ride home, I am trying to get the bike into neutral, but cannot do it for the life of me. Turns out, I had it in neutral, but the light wouldn't illuminate.

Maybe it was moisture. Who knows. Hopefully she behaves now that I'm paying attention to her again after the rainy season.

Hi guys,
Just coming back to this post as i have had the same problem. Today morning while riding the the cluster just stopped responding. temp and rpm gauge to zero, indicators dont work, horn doesnt work, neutral light doesnt work.

As mentioned by Geek_Law, i checked the fuses and the 10A fuse was blown. Swapped it with a working replacement, and it blew that one too.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what i should be looking at next. A friend suggested it could be the flasher relay.
Any suggestion, would really help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,
Just coming back to this post as i have had the same problem. Today morning while riding the the cluster just stopped responding. temp and rpm gauge to zero, indicators dont work, horn doesnt work, neutral light doesnt work.

As mentioned by Geek_Law, i checked the fuses and the 10A fuse was blown. Swapped it with a working replacement, and it blew that one too.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what i should be looking at next. A friend suggested it could be the flasher relay.
Any suggestion, would really help.

Thanks in advance.

Look to see if you have any pinched wiring. Around the steering neck would be the first place to look. If nothing reveals out of the ordinary, what you will have to do is look up the circuit of that fuse and start disconnecting things one by one on the circuit. See if any of the components are bringing the circuit down. If no components are bringing it down, you will need to carefully start opening up the wire harness to see if you got any physical damage to the wires. Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Look to see if you have any pinched wiring. Around the steering neck would be the first place to look. If nothing reveals out of the ordinary, what you will have to do is look up the circuit of that fuse and start disconnecting things one by one on the circuit. See if any of the components are bringing the circuit down. If no components are bringing it down, you will need to carefully start opening up the wire harness to see if you got any physical damage to the wires. Good luck and keep everyone posted.
Hey Thanks,
Seems like i have days work cut out for me... atleast gonna keep myself busy during the isolation..
Cheers

Oneal, it appears that you are in LaPaz Bolivia or someplace high and cool (your avatar). Care to-add your location below your screen name?

Oneal, it appears that you are in LaPaz Bolivia or someplace high and cool (your avatar). Care to-add your location below your screen name?
haha, i wish.... im in Dubai, UAE. the picture was taken during the winter when we had a foggy day.
below are some current pics.

Attachments

• C547A7F3-927A-4011-831D-4F587CA1BF9A.JPG
    C547A7F3-927A-4011-831D-4F587CA1BF9A.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9466.jpg
    IMG_9466.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9476.jpg
    IMG_9476.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 14
  • photo_20200511190942_6553758_0.JPG
    photo_20200511190942_6553758_0.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 15
  • photo_20200517063908_6553765_0.JPG
    photo_20200517063908_6553765_0.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 14
Hey Thanks,
Seems like i have days work cut out for me... atleast gonna keep myself busy during the isolation..
Cheers
UPDATE: So i spent the day trying to trace all the wires and check for any physical damages or shorts.. NOTHING...
The only thing i can think of is the flasher relay. although i am not too sure how to check it.
I have ordered a new one from USA but that would take a while to get here.. So until then will have to ride without indicators
If anyone has any more ideas to check, let me know.
Thanks

Hi Guys, so just to update,
Spent approximately 5 hrs tracing all the cables. Unplugged all indicators, tail light(Aftermarket), headlight(Aftermarket), gauge console, flasher relay... And it still kept tripping. Blew approximately 10 fuses in the process.
Finally stated checking all connections and cables to see any form of defects, until i came across a connector just on the side of the battery which seem to have corrosion, possibly because of the battery. Sprayed with with some contact cleaner and brushed out the corrosion. Plugged it back in and what do you know... all good.
Fuse doesn't blow any more and everything works perfect. I made sure i covered the connector with a heat shrink and the should sustain it for a bit.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and suggestions. Appreciate it.
Cheers

Back