Intake Joints, Ect. Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Have a 98, it sit outside for years. The rubber joints connecting the carbs to the intake look pretty bad, ie, cracked rubber. Have not taken off carbs and done inspection but from what I can see, they are pretty bad, especially around the band clamps. Some of you experienced hands know what I am talking about. Cracks in the joints and hoses down there can cause running problems, I was thinking air cracks here could cause a cylinder to run rich.

I looked up what I thought I would need to replace the rubber below the carbs. I have: Four joint to carbs, part 1FK-13597-00-00, four joints, part 1FK-13595-01-00, 4 clamp-hose, part 90460-49274-00. All these parts at one online oem parts house cost $147.04 plus shipping. I am assuming all my existing clamps can be re-used, please let me know if I am wrong.

My questions are: Are all my assumptions in paragraph one correct?
Are the parts I have listed all I will need or are there more rubber parts to replace under the carbs? Is it the best way to buy these online at an oem yamaha parts house or are there aftermarket suppliers that can supply all in a package discounted?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Attachments

• LeftSide.jpg
    LeftSide.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 24
Have a 98, it sit outside for years. The rubber joints connecting the carbs to the intake look pretty bad, ie, cracked rubber. Have not taken off carbs and done inspection but from what I can see, they are pretty bad, especially around the band clamps. Some of you experienced hands know what I am talking about. Cracks in the joints and hoses down there can cause running problems, I was thinking air cracks here could cause a cylinder to run rich.

Are all my assumptions in paragraph one correct?

Sounds right to me, except it can cause lean running, not rich.
If the cracks are bad enough to let in air, the air it let's in has no fuel mixed with it. So the motor gets less juice. :biglaugh:

I looked up what I thought I would need to replace the rubber below the carbs. I have: Four joint to carbs, part 1FK-13597-00-00, four joints, part 1FK-13595-01-00, 4 clamp-hose, part 90460-49274-00. All these parts at one online oem parts house cost $147.04 plus shipping. I am assuming all my existing clamps can be re-used, please let me know if I am wrong.

My questions are: Are all my assumptions in paragraph one correct?
Are the parts I have listed all I will need or are there more rubber parts to replace under the carbs? Is it the best way to buy these online at an oem yamaha parts house or are there aftermarket suppliers that can supply all in a package discounted?

Thanks for your time and advice.

i bet you'll find they'll all be similarly priced. i'd talk to morley see what prices he can get.

you are replacing the 4 vboost boots too? thats the 13595 part. its probably worth it but just making sure you know.

those clamps are re-usable so i wouldn't waste your money. i would however spend the money and replace all the clamp bolts with SS allen heads from your local HW store. makes life easier in the future!

Sounds right to me, except it can cause lean running, not rich.
If the cracks are bad enough to let in air, the air it let's in has no fuel mixed with it. So the motor gets less juice. :biglaugh:
+1 on lean

Cracks in the joints and hoses down there can cause running problems, I was thinking air cracks here could cause a cylinder to run rich.

I am assuming all my existing clamps can be re-used, please let me know if I am wrong.
QUOTE]

Cracks that allow air ingress will make the motor run weak.

You can re-use the clamps.

How to you know that the rubbers need replacing?
It is common for you to see surface cracking but this in itself does not indicate they are unfit for service.
You could check to see if any air is getting in by puffing some Easy Start around each rubber - if the revs rise then air is getting in and the rubber would need replacing.

Apart from the visual aspect is there issues with the fueling that lead you to suspect the rubbers?

How to you know that the rubbers need replacing?
It is common for you to see surface cracking but this in itself does not indicate they are unfit for service.
You could check to see if any air is getting in by puffing some Easy Start around each rubber - if the revs rise then air is getting in and the rubber would need replacing.

Apart from the visual aspect is there issues with the fueling that lead you to suspect the rubbers?

+1

Thats thinking, right there.

Go to YamahaSportsPlaza.com Their pricing is good.Just purchased rubber joints and clamps for my `96 from them. Joints were US$14.23 each and the clamps US$2.57 each for a total of US$77.48 plus shipping.
The clamps can be reused but if it has been sitting around in the weather i`d go for new ones.
You may find that the joints have gone fairly hard and on there tight.Mine were, so i removed the clamps and run a Stanley knife down the side of joints and pulled away from manifold and carby base.

Hope this has helped you a little mate!

As soon as I went to bed last night realized I had it wrong on the rich burn! Oh well, I had a senior moment....

One cylinder burns rich. So I guess it is in the carb. Tested the spark plug and it fires. After the bike is good and warm the cylinder burns like the rest. I am going to have to break down and remove the carbs and send them in for new a/f screws.

But the rubber project still needs to be done. They look bad.

Thanks for the confirmations and recommendations.

Latest posts

Back