Is it normal to americans to ask a question...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked all over the world. I've meet rude people every where I've worked. America welcomes LEGAL immigrants from all around the world and always has.

So, yes. But I don't think that someone who joins the forum to get their question answered is being rude, maybe if they did it repeatedly or did it in a bullish manner then yes. Tell me, if a stranger asks for the time do you feel you have invested enough that they should send you a Christmas card?

/shrug

I've worked all over the world. I've meet rude people every where I've worked. America welcomes LEGAL immigrants from all around the world and always has.

So, yes. But I don't think that someone who joins the forum to get their question answered is being rude, maybe if they did it repeatedly or did it in a bullish manner then yes. Tell me, if a stranger asks for the time do you feel you have invested enough that they should send you a Christmas card?

/shrug

I have gotten at least 20 questions about item Im sellling - one item LOL
Always replied ASAP with full service - never recive any resposne like : no, yes, fuck ya...

And about 70% of those 20 "persons" are full time members...thats why i started this thread...becouse I think its totaly rude and should not happen here!

Even 3 times I was ensuring by "some folks": dude, im buying it for sure!
Besides watchig them logged often I never got any response...

ah.

Well, there is a difference between interest in intent. Nature of selling is that you are at the mercy of the buyer. Could be that they do intend to buy but need to get their finances in order. Could be nothing but a passing fancy. Window shopping at its best.

While Americans can often be ignorant of other cultures and have a blind spot when it comes to bothering to learn much about the local lore, they are mindful not to offend once they know what is offensive I've found. In another culture if you are in the market you might hear someone pretending to be mad or insulted as a ploy to get a better price. Most Americans are so used to big box stores and paying the sticker price that they often don't haggle at all. They ask the price, and if it is too much, they leave. Them leaving is a tacit way of ending the sale before it began.

If I was in a swap meet or flea market I would ask for the price and then ask if there was any wiggle room in that price. Most of my friends are appalled; they think it makes me look cheap. Also, often as not the seller is offended that I would ask, as if I believe their product isn't worth the price they are asking.

Keep in mind that in America, becuse of the free market, haggling for the best price is a lost art, in part, because if person A offers something for 20% markup you can bet soon Person B will ask for only 10% markup. As a result profit margins are often razor thin with only brand name and public reputation of the producer enabling some to ask for grater then nominal prices. There is nothing to argue about; the price you see is the lowest someone can go and still feed the family. What they lose in profit per item they make up in volume; prices are set by the manufacturer and the end seller has very little say. All of this leads your average American, from experience, to expect that there is no reason continue the negotiation after they get the price if it is more then they are willing to pay.

Hence, American asks how much something cost, and if they don't care for or cant afford the price, they end the communication. No bad feeling meant he never thought it would be anything less then normal.

I've never been to Poland, is it common to negotiate prices there?

I think Blur has it correct - I don't think the American's are any better or worse.
There are plenty of Brits who don't acknowledge help - before or after the event.

What I find more irritating is when advice is offered and we are not told what is was that finally fixed the concern.

Without that feedback our knowledge base doesn't grow.

.......Mr Midnight would like to thank in advance all who respond to agree with or ridicule his response. :rofl_200:

I think Blur has it correct - I don't think the American's are any better or worse.
There are plenty of Brits who don't acknowledge help - before or after the event.

"What I find more irritating is when advice is offered and we are not told what is was that finally fixed the concern."

"Without that feedback our knowledge base doesn't grow."

.......Mr Midnight would like to thank in advance all who respond to agree with or ridicule his response. :rofl_200:

Absolutely 100% spot-on, Mr.Sellers, er, Midnight . I couldn't agree more.
And don't feel obligated to submit a written reply - I "feel" both your pain and graditude.:punk:
Miles

What I find more irritating is when advice is offered and we are not told what is was that finally fixed the concern.

Without that feedback our knowledge base doesn't grow.

The lack of feedback from someone has bothered me. On the Venture site, I try to help people out a lot. Recently had a question about a water pump leaking after seals had been repaired. I took pictures of my pump, which was out of bike & posted that maybe he had forgot on of the circlips and pointed out correct order of parts with the pictures. I wasn't sure if this was the correct answer, but I never saw a reply, but no more questions about that subject.

Could be the guy was embarrassed to say he didn't put it back together correct.

Gary

ah.

Well, there is a difference between interest in intent. Nature of selling is that you are at the mercy of the buyer. Could be that they do intend to buy but need to get their finances in order. Could be nothing but a passing fancy. Window shopping at its best.

While Americans can often be ignorant of other cultures and have a blind spot when it comes to bothering to learn much about the local lore, they are mindful not to offend once they know what is offensive I've found. In another culture if you are in the market you might hear someone pretending to be mad or insulted as a ploy to get a better price. Most Americans are so used to big box stores and paying the sticker price that they often don't haggle at all. They ask the price, and if it is too much, they leave. Them leaving is a tacit way of ending the sale before it began.

If I was in a swap meet or flea market I would ask for the price and then ask if there was any wiggle room in that price. Most of my friends are appalled; they think it makes me look cheap. Also, often as not the seller is offended that I would ask, as if I believe their product isn't worth the price they are asking.

Keep in mind that in America, becuse of the free market, haggling for the best price is a lost art, in part, because if person A offers something for 20% markup you can bet soon Person B will ask for only 10% markup. As a result profit margins are often razor thin with only brand name and public reputation of the producer enabling some to ask for grater then nominal prices. There is nothing to argue about; the price you see is the lowest someone can go and still feed the family. What they lose in profit per item they make up in volume; prices are set by the manufacturer and the end seller has very little say. All of this leads your average American, from experience, to expect that there is no reason continue the negotiation after they get the price if it is more then they are willing to pay.

Hence, American asks how much something cost, and if they don't care for or cant afford the price, they end the communication. No bad feeling meant he never thought it would be anything less then normal.

I've never been to Poland, is it common to negotiate prices there?

No much negotiating...
"Leaving is a tacit way of ending the sale before it began"? That is very rude here - becouse You can waste someones time - and for us time is most valuable factor.

Here is diffrent - you have the price and you can buy it or not - its your free choice to go somewhere else for shoping. Market is also free like yours.
But when Im talikng with someone about a deal, I feel obligate to share with my decision - I think that placing you "in a good light"
Yes "im buiyng" and "no thanks" and everyone is happy.

I hate when my time is being wasted...

Completly diffrent story when dealing with europeans - always good comunication no matter if things going bad or good.

I dont feel ofended or angry - Im just distased with behavior like this.

Peace folks!

I agree with you on this Prez, it just seems to me like common courtesy to respond....if only 'thanks', 'no thanks', 'too much', 'bite my ass'....whatever! It only takes a couple seconds and doesn't leave the other person hanging.

As a self-employed contractor for 15 years I can assure you that many people do not feel the same as I do though.

I have a good idea of where this question is coming from Prez. Quite often I go to the effort of giving an answer in a thread of what has worked for me. Continuing down from where I responded, it's like my answer is invisible. It kind of pisses me off when the thread continues and eventually comes to the same conclusion that I posted after 2 or 3 more pages... Like it was somebody Else's answer...:bang head:

It would be nice to hear a Hi, Hello, Piss on You, anything... Being ignored, it's like nobody gives a Shit whether or not you answered.

Hello, the right windshield can stop a speed wobble....

I tell people I am not going to buy if I ask a price, or go through w/it. If I get info here, I offer thanks or feedback. A courtesy extended is worth a courtesy given. People here are more-civil than other forums, possibly because we are probably not dealing w/people who have 10 years or less of riding experience. But, old people can be rude too.

I have realized that once I finish my bike, I may not have to buy another until I stop riding because of...
-gasp!-
old age. I am not 'middle-aged' any more. Having the site's info & parts source has helped me along w/returning my bike to the road after a layoff from riding. Thank-you, in-case I missed my duty before to offer thanks to anyone.

Courtesy comes in different forms in most all countries, I try and answerer back when converging with others, But I don't Burp at the table after eating a good meal, in some countries this is considered being rude to the one who prepared the meal.............

Ive asked a few questions on here and havent got a respone to either of them, so its just a general thing ppl do

Maybe the simple answer is this...there IS no right or wrong answer/response/return or finish to a question asked by Americans...it's just the nature of this/our society...:confused2:

Just be happy we dont start a war with your country...:rofl_200:

I dont feel ofended or angry - Im just distased with behavior like this.

So, i'm not surprised by your distaste of this aspect of behavior. it has taken my in-laws ten years to finally not be so egotistical about it. i don't know if you've been to the States, but I've had the pleasure of visiting Europe on many occasions. As much as I'd like to discuss the differences in more detail, the nuances, even though some are more slight than others, have such huge ramifications with respect to mindset and behavior that I fear we could spend years (and many beers) trying to come to terms. But based on my rather limited experience, I think it is safe to say the following:

Granted each European country vastly differs culturally from each other, as well as each American State greatly differs culturally in the same respect, but generally speaking, there is a European attitude that is more face-to-face, more dependent on social-interaction than compared to us Americans’. This rather broad and stereotypical observation is the basis of my method of trying to explain how, the general American, views buying goods and services.

Whereas even with modern industrial price regulation practices, because of the more face-to-face, more dependent on social-interaction of the European community, “Going to market” is still not just about purchasing and selling, but still is part of being social--akin to going to a bar, or town square and discussing the weather, the family, sports, cars, food, oil, war, politics. etc. With the introduction of fixed pricing, volume stock, etc, as previously mentioned, Americans just don't haggle, or bargain. Sure, there are situations and circumstances in which this is not true, like when buying cars, houses, “garage sales” (where a private individual sells his junk to neighbors), but not for the everyday things that are sold in retail stores where it usually can be found cheaper. As such, Americans no longer view “going to market" nowadays like it once was, where the townsfolk gathered to exchange ideas, plot and schemed, etc, etc. "The market” nowadays is just a place to buy stuff where the vendor is just a vendor and not a person to care about or will affect my daily life.

And this is an essential difference,
"Leaving is a tacit way of ending the sale before it began" as being rude here - because You can waste someones time - and for us time is most valuable factor"
the whole haggling process is viewed as a waste of valuable time and just asking how much something is, is not an indication of intent to purchase, but rather just a curious question like "why is that car parked there?", "what are you doing tomorrow?", "how much does that cost?". generally speaking again, an american vendor knows that if the person is truly interested, (s)he will return, otherwise there will always be another potential client. most americans don't really "sell" in the truest definition anymore, they just offer goods at a price, if that makes sense. they aren't going to expend energy trying to entice the fish that nibbled the bait onto the hook. but rather drink a beer or three while waiting for the fish or even another fish to wrap its mouth around the hook--there is no fear that no fish will bite, because the pond is full of hungry fish.

“Going to market” in the States has become so impersonal, that there are stores where we no longer interact with another human to pay for goods but rather with a computer. Some car dealerships even entice some Americans with no-haggle pricing because haggling has now become a hassle and a waste of time. Overseas, “fixed-price” stores are popping up to cater to the American tourist and his preference of just buying and not interacting. We hate being harassed by a sales person because we view them as trying to sell stuff that we don’t want or need and forget the fact the we must be interested in their wares by virtue of stepping in the store and who better would know of the products then the person selling the crap. But because we no longer view buying stuff in a social manner, managers are no longer staffing their stores with knowledgeable sales representatives, but rather with people that know how to scan in the product’s bar code and read off of a computer screen—if you have technical question, they simply point you to Google.

So hopefully this helps you understand why some Americans will ask how much something is and then just walk away never to be heard of again. Us Americans are generally very courteous—some more than others—some more than others in some situations, some less than others in other situation. it’s just when it comes to buying stuff, we Americans are just buying stuff and just think more of the product than of the vendor. I’m not saying that this is a hard, fast rule; but rather a bunch of random observations that makeup the complex. Neither am I saying one view is any better than the other. I enjoy both sides. I enjoy that in the middle of the night I can go to a American store and buy medicine or whatever because the store is manned by a computer that doesn’t need sleep. I enjoy talking to a European vendor who will tell me where his product came from, or how it was made, or why he is selling it, or telling him how much it is worth without insulting him.

So to answer your question:
is it normal? no, not really.
is it to be expected? no definitely not.
is it to be accepted? kind of, it depends.

Maybe the simple answer is this...there IS no right or wrong answer/response/return or finish to a question asked by Americans...it's just the nature of this/our society...:confused2:

Just be happy we dont start a war with your country.
..:rofl_200:

Be careful with this, Hitler was saying the same and got his ass kicked...

I agree with you on this Prez, it just seems to me like common courtesy to respond....if only 'thanks', 'no thanks', 'too much', 'bite my ass'....whatever! It only takes a couple seconds and doesn't leave the other person hanging.

As a self-employed contractor for 15 years I can assure you that many people do not feel the same as I do though.

Yes and while hanging Im wasting my time - I can see some gyus here are having grazilion of time to waste...

So, i'm not surprised by your distaste of this aspect of behavior.....

So to answer your question:
is it normal? no, not really.
is it to be expected? no definitely not.
is it to be accepted? kind of, it depends.
Thx for such an exhaustive explanation - I can see(also by your work to this forum) you like doing things very precisely - which is so much good as rare those days. Keep on that! :clapping:

Speaking of MY SALE - the price and all required info was always included in my listings - so why asking about the info you can read any time?
Another "at least strange" point...

I like to deal with Fins, Germans or French guys - always great chat and straight deal.
Cheers.

Well, let's start by removing the ambiguity of your question. Did you get someone who said, "Hey Prez, how much is that dog in the window?" and then never follow up with another response? In that case, as a stereotypical American I don't see anything wrong with that behavior. Why a seller would then wait with baited breathe for a response is beyond me.

Now, if you had a long drawn out email exchange consisting of multiple conversations where the person expressed a great deal of interest then just faded away, then yes I would think it rude. If however if what I was offering was not cheap by market standards I might think the person had gathered all the information they needed to decide and was saving up. Conversely, I would expect a fair amount of tire kickers for each sale.

If you think you get a lot of people wasting your time just think about what Morley deals with and yet He treats each inquiry as if it just came from the guy who dropped 11 grand on his engine last week. That's good product vs good service. The 'customer is always right' from the 'cranky craftsman' approach. The cranky old craftsman act only every works when, A) he is the only one with the skills to provide what you want and B) the cranky bastard is cranky with everyone but you!

At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I'm sure our resident Saint Sean feels your pain...as do all the other vendors.

P.S. To the other guy i was PMing, i may have forgotten to mention but I really am going to buy that thing we talked about that time; I'm just trying to finalize what I want so I don't waste money.

P.P.S. It might be a while though, so if you don't hear from me, you know...ya that's why.

Where the hell you did came to idea Im a VENDOR?

About Sean, I've delat with him trough dozen grands...and he as an great example how perfect bisness should look like - we should all learn from him.

Back