Is my starter bad? video inside

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generalbamboo

Reaction score
I have a 1990 VMax and recently have been having problems with it starting.

The starter seems like it is going out and unable to turn the bike over. When the spark plugs are out the bike turns over just fine. The battery is brand new and fully charged. I am guessing that the starter is going out and unable to turn the bike through the compression stroke?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ToBR_XiV1_s

Any ideas before i go ordering parts that are not the cause??

Thanks

check the charge on your battery. the fuel pump and vboost sound ok somewhat, kind of.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

check the charge on your battery. the fuel pump and vboost sound ok somewhat, kind of.

strike last post. i just read you have a new batt

sounds like a gear in the starter mesh isnt catching? broken cogs? the starter sounds firm. there is a stickied how-to somewhere in the how-to section that should be useful. i'm a novice, but i would start wanting to remove the stator cover and see whats up with the gear mesh

wait for the more qualified opinions of the vets to chime in

I listened to the vid, I can't tell if the starter is still spinning when the engine stops rotating or if it's binding up, to begin with I would make sure my ground and pos batt cables are clean and tight at all connections, including the start solenoid and starter terminals, if so, you might try direct jumping from the pos batt post directly to the starter with a jumper cable and see if it works better, you are bypassing the solenoid and connections altogether, I'm not sure if you have a 2 or 4 pole starter motor, the 4 pole is what you want if the starter is at fault, I also wonder if the starter clutch is slipping without the box of rocks sound normally associated with a slipping clutch.......Lets see what others think.............Tom.

I have put positive power straight to the starter and it does the same thing. Its not even turning the motor over.

Although, when i remove all spark plugs, the motor turns over just fine. I have dissembled the starter a few days ago and its clean inside, everything looked just fine. No corrosion.

Ohm meter may be better way to check starter condition. Brushes look good? Brush tension? Commutator smooth and clean? The manual also gives a minimum measurement for between windings I'm pretty sure. Beekeeper already mentioned the obvious which was bypassed when you jumped the wiring direct. Pulling plugs just takes away compression that makes it easy for a weak starter to spin the crank and move pistons. Sounds like a new starter is your best bet. Might as well do the wiring mods while your at it like crimp fix, hot start heavy leads. All good winter projects for you Yankee types.

That's how mine sounded, battery didn't last long either - it turned out to be the starter

IMAG0068-1.jpeg

I just put an 05 4 pole starter in my 89. What a difference. Just a thought.. Cured all my troubles...
Changing it was a Piece of Cake....

Well, found out it was the starter clutch...
cracked all the way through..

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 43
And I won the price :biglaugh:

you're gone forever, come back, and not more than a day later, you call it. well almost, i think The Beekeeper diagnosed it first.
...I also wonder if the starter clutch is slipping without the box of rocks sound normally associated with a slipping clutch.......Lets see what others think.............Tom.
well not as confidently as you did, Prez. but who's keeping score? one day i'll be the equal of everyone...then we can start keeping score. LOL. :rofl_200:

Happy you found the prob, Generalbamboo!!!

haha yeah, i was just hopping it was the starter almost...

But im finding a new starter clutch and bolts for about 120 new, so ill probably be ordering that soon

I think its better for you that it was a clutch. Starters(if dead entirely) costs more I bealive.
Dont forget to inspect the starter big gear for wearnes. Its also good to buy new pins and springs that comes with "starter clutch kit".

http://www.iowaz.info/cycle/vmaxstarterclutch.htm

you're gone forever, come back, and not more than a day later, you call it. well almost, i think The Beekeeper diagnosed it first.

well not as confidently as you did, Prez. but who's keeping score? one day i'll be the equal of everyone...then we can start keeping score. LOL. :rofl_200:

Happy you found the prob, Generalbamboo!!!

Well mr Ninja, it seems thet Bee won the price...also :rofl_200:
Ok ok ok...I will share the price :biglaugh:

That's properly cracked, it's always good to know that with a few parts your problem will be solved and Max will be back to good health

And I see you didn't open a thread about how hard it was to take the flywheel off, that's a good start :biglaugh:

Did you look at Ron Ayers Motorsports for the parts. Looks like starter clutch assembly is 106.52 and bolts are 2.33 each.

11H-15580-00-00 clutch assembly

91317-08014-00 bolts

That is 4 dollars cheaper then the site I found, Thank you!

I think its better for you that it was a clutch. Starters(if dead entirely) costs more I bealive.
Dont forget to inspect the starter big gear for wearnes. Its also good to buy new pins and springs that comes with "starter clutch kit".

http://www.iowaz.info/cycle/vmaxstarterclutch.htm

The starter clutch gear appears to be in decent shape still.
The springs, "hockey pucks," and pins all come with the new starter gear right?

That's properly cracked, it's always good to know that with a few parts your problem will be solved and Max will be back to good health

And I see you didn't open a thread about how hard it was to take the flywheel off, that's a good start :biglaugh:

yes, I want to ride so bad!
but nope, haha, i have removed a few flywheels before. The one on the vmax is actually a lot easier then the one on an old 1978 Honda z50 I had.... :confused2:

If it were me I'd also change out the rollers and pins whilst I was in there [edit] just as prez advices [/edit]

+1 ronayers

Latest posts

Back