It was difficult installing the new rear ME880...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Much taller tire than the IRC ... or maybe my IRC was really chewed down a bunch more than I thought .....

Really struggled to slide the tire under the fender. Had to jack the bike up an extra inch or so, which was not fun.

Shuriken, I agree. I had to let all the air out and remove the license plate bracket.

If you dont have a jack to raise your bike high enough you can always do it like we did when we were kids...

Flip the bike upside down on the seat and handlebars and this way ya can lay the rear wheel in.. :clapping:

Removing license plate bracket....free

Filling tire with air.....free

Nahh if ya told me you can flip a mean burrito I am in!!

Hey maybe he had trouble with putting his rear tire cause his carburetor floats are out of adjustment??:confused2: He should have poured some sea foam on the rear wheel first.

His float should be spot on, otherwise his swing arm would snap in half. Crisco on the rear tire works good too.

If a newb was reading your comments he would be mighty confused. I could just see him go get his frying pan out to practice flipping his max, or trying to secure the rear tire with a burrito..
:ummm::rofl_200::clapping:

If a newb was reading your comments he would be mighty confused. I could just see him go get his frying pan out to practice flipping his max, or trying to secure the rear tire with a burrito..
:ummm::rofl_200::clapping:

If a NEWB would even blink at these ideas being serious he should'nt
1) Ride a VMAX, or any motorcycle
2) Be around anything sharper then a pillow
3) No less working on a motorcycle.

Securing his rear tire with a burrito I dont care who ya are thats funny! If it didnt make ya laugh ya need to go see a dr and get some drugs

Oh shite I am in trouble. I used French fries to hold my rear wheel on, but the ketchup seems to make a great axle lube.

Hi all,

New to the site. Actually I was checking out information on the ME880 and found this thread.

Names Ric. Live in Central Ohio. Own an '01 Max (You know, the Carbon Fiber paint).

I've owned it for three years now and I must say, I'll never own another type of bike than a Vmax. I was checking into the '09, but I don't want to pay 17,9 for it. It's a lovely MONSTER, but the tag is too steep.

It was time to replace the rear tire so I opted for the Fat look. Got the "Marathon" ME880 170/80-15. I ordered a Metzler, got a Marathon. Metlzer must be owned by Marathon now or something. Whatever, same tire.

Having never taken the rear wheel off the Max before, I was in for a treat. It seemed to go well though, just a lot more complicated than I thought it should have been.

The new tire went on with no trouble. I didn't have to jack the bike up or anything, just had it on the center stand. I did "bend" the license plate a bit, but nothing drastic.

I must say the performance was a BIG change. The bike seems to roll much smoother now and takes corners with more confidence.

I should have made this change sooner. I'll be putting the ME880 front on when the stock one is ready to change. Still a lot of tread left on the original. I know that most people change both at the same time, I just couldn't see spending the extra cash when the front tire was still in great shape.

Anyway, glad I found the site and I'm sure you'll be seeing my posts in other threads.

Ride safe!!!

Welcome Ric... I wasn't real happy about the 'color' factor of my '00 cf when I first bought it...But have grown real fond of it now... I even have a matching cf helmet, and wear a pair of "cf 'looking' steel-toed high tops when riding.

I replaced my original factory Bridgestones, with Shinkos...the 170/80 fit just fine in there, but had a hellova time getting the splines to 'marry', when I was going back together with it... That's when this forum, and quick call to, Sean, one of our best 'max gurus, told me how to get it done....

Lots of invaluable info, and great folks on this forum...hang out, you'll learn much.... And don't hesitate to drop by the 'lounge'...there you can get loose , and associate with some of the best!

Regards,

Uncle Philthy

If you dont have a jack to raise your bike high enough you can always do it like we did when we were kids...

Flip the bike upside down on the seat and handlebars and this way ya can lay the rear wheel in.. :clapping:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:.......Good one.

I'll be putting the ME880 front on when the stock one is ready to change. Still a lot of tread left on the original.

Hi Ric,
Welcome to the site.........Front tires usually don't "wear-out" by going bald. The usually cup first and start throwing of your ride off a bit. Take your hand with your palm against the tread and run it down along the tread pattern for a bit, back and forth, and feel for high and low spots (cupping). This will tell you your ready for a new front tire.

Or in my case where I left it on a weee bit too long, There's dry rot inside the wear grooves...OOPS!! :confused2::confused2::confused2:

Nice to see ya Ric,...welcome. great bunch in here , all willing to lend a hand even if it's just to point you in the right direction.
Of all the years of Maxes I've seen I could not understand why they made a yellow one ,...then a deal came up,.. and I couldn't let it go,...wouldn't you know it ,....it was yellow.
Love the looks of it now ,...still wouldn't mind a different colour , but I can't get my self to paint over the nice metal flake deep gold . Ah well,..the chic's love it ....sooo many black bikes out there anyway's ...lol

Hi Ric,
Welcome to the site.........Front tires usually don't "wear-out" by going bald. The usually cup first and start throwing of your ride off a bit. Take your hand with your palm against the tread and run it down along the tread pattern for a bit, back and forth, and feel for high and low spots (cupping). This will tell you your ready for a new front tire.

Or in my case where I left it on a weee bit too long, There's dry rot inside the wear grooves...OOPS!! :confused2::confused2::confused2:

Thanks for the info 95. I did what you suggested and checked the front tire. It seemed fine. Looked for dry rot around the bead. None there. Looks like I may get a few hundred more miles out of it. I know it's got 18,000 on it now but to look at it you can't tell. Full tread and no wear to speak of. I'll keep checking for "cupping". Good info.

Latest posts

Back