It's Alive!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My CR500! It's been awhile since it actually ran. About 5 years actually. A "friend" bent a shift fork shaft stomping it into 1st gear trying to bumpstart it and that was the beginning of the end. Fast forward to last weekend and I had a CR500 frame in my basement with wheels on it and thats about it. The motor was completey torn to bits, etc etc. Parts came in early last week and I managed to put it all together for the most part on Wednesday night . Come Thursday and it was just a few more things to finish it off and I would test it out.

New air filter, put in some fluids, finish bolting up some plastic, etc, etc, check to make sure stuff was tight and then, time to kick it over. Well, I kicked for about 15 minutes and it didn't even make an attempt to go. WTF:bang head:. Pulled it in the garage and checked for spark. NO SPARK:bang head:.

I tore the tank off the bike and pulled out some of the wiring to look for any knicks, cuts, chaffing, etc, checked the stator and wires, verify the timing is where it is supposed to be etc. Tore apart all connections, cleaned, made sure they were tight, took off the coil and cleaned the frame where it mounts, added some copper paste there to help the connection. Trimmed a bit off of the plug wire. Took out the new plug, cleaned it and checked for spark again. And there it was! A little blue spark. Whew!

Went to bed and the next day I finished bolting it all back together and took it outside. Kicked it two times. Fired right up on the 2nd kick!! :punk::punk:. Spun it up and down the road and thru the yard and NO problems. Changed the cheapo oil after the first test run. Then, I started packing my bags for the weekend riding trip! First time away from the wife for a weekend (other than work) ever! Nice trip. 6 guys total. We had a little cabin up in Elk County. Benezette,PA to be precise. Tons of trail riding up there. I had a few issues on the trails but only pushed it a few hundred yards once. Once the bugs were worked out I had a great time.

This bike is just soo much fun to ride.

Cool, the CR500 is a awesome bike, fast as hell in it's day. It would still scare the hell outta me I bet!
Have fun with the 2nd monster in the garage!!:punk:

Have fun!!!!!!:punk:

Don't let it get away from you......:biglaugh:

good job ! I used to have a suzuki RM465 , that i almost died on more then once !

Back