Jump start gone wrong

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermnp

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a friend help me jump start my vmax due to low battery - it had enough juice to activate the ignition/lights but just did the "click" when hitting the start button.

Unfortunately I was not paying much attention and my buddy accidentally reversed the cables on his side - thus I connected his negative to my positive and his positive to my frame. Without noticing this I flipped on the ignition and the bike went completely and totally dead.

We quickly disconnected and I noticed the screw up, but it seems to have fried something in my electrical system. I tried swapping the ignition fuse with a spare but there's still zero juice. We also try jumping again with stuff connected properly and still nothing - not even enough of a connection to turn the neutral light on.

I'm horrible at electrical systems and unfortunately the closest service shop for bikes is a long ways away from where my bike is sitting right now (also a long ways away from where I live)... so I don't have any easy options for getting it fixed. >_<

So, any ideas what the worst case is here (entire electrical system blown?) and whether or not it's worth trying to pick up a new battery and fuses and try them out, or just go straight to getting a "tow" to a service shop?

did you check the main fuse under the seat right over the pos side of the battery? Then there may be another fuse you can check (you may have replaced already) under the faux tank cover.

Sean

bikes should have some self-defense for this, no? (fuses)

I didn't even see a fuse under the seat - I only checked the fuse labeled "ignition" (and the other three as well "just in case") under the faux tank cover. Interesting, maybe that's it - I figured a blown fuse made sense but didn't realize there was a fuse by the batter. Will scope it out next time I'm out there, thanks for the heads up!

it doesn't really look like a fuse its a 1.5" x 1.5" black box. looks like like a good size auto fuse type thing. u take off the cover and theres a 30amp main fuse and a 30amp spare. could easily be your problem

I did exactly the same thing to my wife's Suzuki Burgman while we were camping at Thunder in the Valley. Replacing the main fose - which is also a 30A on the Burgie fixed the problem. Hopefully, you will be as lucky as I was.

And, if it was the main fuse - don't forget to get a replacement so you still have a spare onboard! I keep a little box of fuses in each bike, just in case!

Back