Just a Ride to Anyone Else

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've been down for almost 3 weeks. I haven't been able to ride at all. After effects of hand surgery are finally doing a little better, enough so I could grab a quick ride. Unimportant to most but it was very special for me.

I'm 58 YO and every time I miss out on doing something, it's possibly one less chance I will ever be able. I've spent years recovering from the injuries of accidents. Almost ended up in a wheel chair in 1997. I didn't recover fast enough to ride so I sold the bikes I had. I thought my riding days were over.

Years passed and I fought back with every bit of determination I had. By late 2005 I bought a Sportster because it was so light. Once I found that I was able to do alright with that, I went on a hunt, not for a VMax but an antiquated 305 Big Bear Scrambler. When I found the prices to be totally out of sight, I turned my attention to the bike I'd wanted since the first time I saw one. The Mighty VMax. I bought my 94 in 2006. Originally it was to be a restoration, something I'd sell to a buyer in Japan. That thought went away quickly. I Love my Max. Really didn't need much restoration, more, just caring attention.

In 2009, my wife and I were sitting in traffic at a light. We were in her 96 Ford Explorer. I remember looking for traffic coming up behind and there was none. About a second later we were hit with such force that it picked the back of our truck off the ground and turned us about 60 degrees to the right and pushed us into the next lane over. Long story short, Kid admitted that he Zoned Out and hit us. That woke him up. More injuries, more down time, more determined fighting back.

Now, every ride that I can do is the most important thing in the world to me at the time I'm on the bike. I don't really know how much more fight I have left. My Doctors are really amazed the last accident didn't paralyze me.

Todays ride wasn't anything special, I took off headed north from St. Petersburg. I made a stop in a reloading shop to see the owner. He's waiting to look at an 86 Max that CaptainKyle will have for sale. I just wanted to say Hi and ask if he and Kyle had set anything up.

By the time I finished there, I was facing what can be seen in the first picture. A pretty nasty Thunder Storm. The picture was taken from Highway 60 that goes East / West across Tampa Bay. I went that way to get away from the storm and because nothing was going to ruin my ride. The second 2 pictures are just the bike, the bay and a much clearer direction that I was headed toward.

The whole ride ended up being about 43 miles. Just another ride to any of you. After 3 weeks of not riding, it meant the world to me. I've learned that it's not just a matter of getting there or how far getting there is. It's the trip and every bump in the road. I enjoy every second of it. I hope you do your rides too.

BTW, I did get well over 100 on the Howard Frankenstein Bridge back to St Pete.. That was a real high point for the day.

I haven't been to Outer Space. Short of that, when I die, I've done it ALL. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Atleast Once.......

Dave

Attachments

• Storm Chaser.jpg
    Storm Chaser.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Tampa Bay.jpg
    Tampa Bay.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Tampa Bay South View.jpg
    Tampa Bay South View.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 38
I've been down for almost 3 weeks. I haven't been able to ride at all. After effects of hand surgery are finally doing a little better, enough so I could grab a quick ride. Unimportant to most but it was very special for me.

I'm 58 YO and every time I miss out on doing something, it's possibly one less chance I will ever be able. I've spent years recovering from the injuries of accidents. Almost ended up in a wheel chair in 1997. I didn't recover fast enough to ride so I sold the bikes I had. I thought my riding days were over.

Years passed and I fought back with every bit of determination I had. By late 2005 I bought a Sportster because it was so light. Once I found that I was able to do alright with that, I went on a hunt, not for a VMax but an antiquated 305 Big Bear Scrambler. When I found the prices to be totally out of sight, I turned my attention to the bike I'd wanted since the first time I saw one. The Mighty VMax. I bought my 94 in 2006. Originally it was to be a restoration, something I'd sell to a buyer in Japan. That thought went away quickly. I Love my Max. Really didn't need much restoration, more, just caring attention.

In 2009, my wife and I were sitting in traffic at a light. We were in her 96 Ford Explorer. I remember looking for traffic coming up behind and there was none. About a second later we were hit with such force that it picked the back of our truck off the ground and turned us about 60 degrees to the right and pushed us into the next lane over. Long story short, Kid admitted that he Zoned Out and hit us. That woke him up. More injuries, more down time, more determined fighting back.

Now, every ride that I can do is the most important thing in the world to me at the time I'm on the bike. I don't really know how much more fight I have left. My Doctors are really amazed the last accident didn't paralyze me.

Todays ride wasn't anything special, I took off headed north from St. Petersburg. I made a stop in a reloading shop to see the owner. He's waiting to look at an 86 Max that CaptainKyle will have for sale. I just wanted to say Hi and ask if he and Kyle had set anything up.

By the time I finished there, I was facing what can be seen in the first picture. A pretty nasty Thunder Storm. The picture was taken from Highway 60 that goes East / West across Tampa Bay. I went that way to get away from the storm and because nothing was going to ruin my ride. The second 2 pictures are just the bike, the bay and a much clearer direction that I was headed toward.

The whole ride ended up being about 43 miles. Just another ride to any of you. After 3 weeks of not riding, it meant the world to me. I've learned that it's not just a matter of getting there or how far getting there is. It's the trip and every bump in the road. I enjoy every second of it. I hope you do your rides too.

BTW, I did get well over 100 on the Howard Frankenstein Bridge back to St Pete.. That was a real high point for the day.

I haven't been to Outer Space. Short of that, when I die, I've done it ALL. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Atleast Once.......

Dave

Todays ride wasn't anything special:ummm: Congratz man! After 3 weeks of not riding you managed to ride a Vmax AND stop at a reloading shop, does it get any better then that? I think not! Glad to hear your back in the saddle, enjoy......

Glad you're back on the road. Love the paint scheme. Just need to bite the bullet (pun intended :biglaugh:) and get some Tailgunners and it would be set!

Great to hear you are able to ride again. Hope you have many more. I'm almost 64 and know my riding days are mostly behind me. But...... I'm not giving up until I know in my heart I can't do it safely anymore. Then...........
3 wheels ! :rofl_200:

Glad you're back on the vinyl. Often wondered what it would be like to be able to ride year'round. But us cold weather inhabitants can appreciate how you felt when you were finally able to ride again. It happens every spring, when the snow is mostly gone, the temp. is a little above freezing, the sun is out, and you open the garage door. No, you say to yourself, there's too much gravel on the streets, the corners would be suicide, I'd better wait till the street sweeper does it's thing. besides, it's not THAT warm, I'll freeze to death. So you go to close that overhead door.....ah, shit, where did I put that helmet...............

Thank you all for the good thoughts.... I'm back to wall to wall Doctors today.:bang head:
Foot Dr. today, Hand Dr. tomorrow. Who Knows for the next.

naughtyG: Hope you come back some day so we can go on a nice ride.
I hope to have a lot more done to my Max before your return.:biglaugh:

Keep pushin' on is a line from a REO Speedwagon song, it's what feeds the soul of a motorcyclist! I'm glad you got the chance to kick up that kickstand, let the clutch out and just ride after some downtime. You left the other doctors behind because you were on a appointment with Dr. Vmax! :worthy:

Thanks for sharing that Dave, it definitely hit home with me. I'm a ways behind you at 46 but bought a 86 new off the floor! I can time events in my life around my Vmax. The Max has been my psychiatrist, my marriage counselor, my escape and my friend. How does one put a price on that? Someday, I'll make it up your way and to Captains for a tech day. Hope you have many years of buzzing around Tampa/St Pete and never lose the "feeling". Patmax

PATMAX: It's really cool that you've had your VMax's through all of that.

Mine got a name this year, "Strafer". That may be bad though. Things with names tend to bring trouble. Strafer's really a generic name though. I call most women "Honey", "Sweetie", "Cutie", there's less potential for problems in using generic names.

I've had this VMax for 4 years. I don't know why I never bought a Max before this. Really, My Bad. Like the girl I knew in High School but never even thought about dating. Saw her at this last reunion and Man, did I miss out on a lot of fun all those years. Maybe I should just buy another VMax and wait to see her in another 10 years.:biglaugh:

Good Job. It took me 21 years..:biglaugh:

rebar::biglaugh: A day above ground and off the pavement is a good day. A day with no Dr's Appointments and a ride on the VMax is a great day. A day seeing the Dr that I saw today (She's Unbelievable) is Heaven...:biglaugh::clapping:
Now, if I can just ride the Max around the block before it rains... Perfection.....

Boy can I relate! Had surgery 7 years ago...couldnt even walk proper for the first 6 months. "0" ridding. What a great story of courage and determination. Just wanting to do the basic things of life becomes a challenge. We sure take alot of simple things for grandit when we are young. I'll bet you had an EAR to EAR grin riding that day:biglaugh:. Very nice paint scheam on your bike as well. I aplaud you sir...well done!!!

58? That's nothing. I've ridden a couple times with an 86 year old lady, on an old Suzuki GS450. And she doesn't drive as much like a grandma as you'd think. Pushed that 450 as hard as it would go to keep up, she didn't want to be a third wheel on the ride so to speak. You don't want to be outdone by a little old lady now do you?:rofl_200:

So you got years to go man! The day you tell yourself that "you're too old to ride" is the day it becomes true. I know one person who was in his late sixties and one spring decided he was going to pass on the season and sell his bike, it was a Honda cruiser of some flavor. He sold it, and about two weeks later went out and bought a brand new Goldwing instead, and is now riding more than ever. Said the second he saw his bike drive away he regretted it and knew he screwed up.

At only 20 I'm probably one of the youngest here, but I can't imagine ever giving up riding. I'm already up to 10,000 in a NY season, I'm sure to be a "lifer", lol. Probably around 25k on two wheels since I got my first bike at 16.

Wish I was 20 and know what I know at .................... my age. Don't have time to elaborate now , but am reserving time later to better answer this one.

:punk:

At 20, I was in South East Asia. Not so sure I'd like to go through all that just to be 20 again.

Dr. says I'm 58 going on 88. Just too many fun days destroying my body. Never ever thought I'd live long enough to regret it. I hope I can ride till the day I die. Hope it'll be the VMax too.

I know an old guy in Alaska, Don. He was riding a couple years ago at 83. He was working all day, welding and repairing everything he could get his hands on. Hope he's still in the wind. He lives in Fairbanks too......

Back