Just bought my first Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 20th Anniversary with 11,000 KM on it. This is my first ever bike, any thoughts or warnings about the bike? I already know that I need to be careful until I get used to it. However, I'm mature enough to know to respect the machine.

How are they with handling, power, etc. Any quirks or issues I should be aware of? I've always wanted a vmax since I first saw one back when I was way younger.

Congrat's on the purchase. Just make sure you keep it verticle & straight when hard on the gas & watch your stopping distance. Don't ride beyond your limits even if your buddies are around. Enjoy!

Congratulations on realizing your dream. :clapping:

I strongly recommend that you do a rider training course ASAP. :thumbs up:

right on bud ..... i agree ... take the course .
i to just bought a 2003 vmax today with only 7200kms on it .
my last bike was a 2002 r1 ....... still snow on the ground here so i wont know the full joys of her till the white sh^t is gone.

Congratulations on realizing your dream. :clapping:

I strongly recommend that you do a rider training course ASAP. :thumbs up:
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your purchase of the 20th anniversary Vmax. There is a lot of good info here for keeping your Vmax in tip top shape. If you can't find by searching the volumes of info, just ask, it'll get resolved.
+1 to the rider training course, even as a seasoned rider you will learn, re-learn, reinforce good habits with a rider training course. The Vmax can be a handful for even a experienced rider.
A well maintained Vmax is a great motorcycle to ride. There are a few area's that if not maintained can put you on the road fast and hard. Steering, swingarm and wheel bearings need to be maintained. Tire air pressure and wear patterns need constant inspection/ maintenance. A service manual is a invaluable tool and you can veiw/ download one from one of our members, vmaxride06. Thanks Chris!
Enjoy your new ride and shoot us some pictures when you get a chance. :thumbs up:

Just bought a 2005 20th Anniversary with 11,000 KM on it. This is my first ever bike, any thoughts or warnings about the bike? I already know that I need to be careful until I get used to it. However, I'm mature enough to know to respect the machine.

How are they with handling, power, etc. Any quirks or issues I should be aware of? I've always wanted a vmax since I first saw one back when I was way younger.

Welcome and congrats of your new ride. Welcome to the forum..

I dont know what types of bikes you have owned before but the best advice I can give you is... The VMAX is very quick to 65-70MPH and it doesnt like to take sharp turns above 35MPH.. It can get you in to trouble very fast. With a sport bike you atleast have the chance to make a turn due to its better braking and cornering abilites over the VMAx.

congrads man, those were gorgeous bikes i love the black...

be careful... keep it in low RPMs until you are used to it.

would anyone else recommend unplugging vboost for the first month or something?

simplest advice I can give:

Point it straight before you pull the trigger. It may not be the fastest bike anymore but it will sure make it feel like it is!

Sean

I plan on doing the rider course next month. I'll definitely keep the rpms low, thanks for the info, I'll keep looking around the site, looks like a great place here. My plan is for one full year just take it easy and get to know the bike.

right on bud ..... i agree ... take the course .
i to just bought a 2003 vmax today with only 7200kms on it .
my last bike was a 2002 r1 ....... still snow on the ground here so i wont know the full joys of her till the white sh^t is gone.

Rex,

Where are you in Ontario? Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanting to let you know about some VMOA meets here. Check out our ride schedule in the Ontario Chapter section.

I have had my VMAX for 3 years now and sometimes it still suprises me.
Although I have gotten used to it every now and then it reminds me to respect it`s power because it is a drag machine and not a sport bike .
You sit higher up and straight up and the handling is totaly different.

You should follow the advice given to you and take a course , the C H P course is done with 250cc. bikes but there are others that allow you to use your own bike and you will also save a bundle on your insurance if you show them your completion certificate.

Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

<<Dave>:punk:

I don't mean to hijack anything but American Family told me I wouldn't save any on my rates. $32/mo for liability on my GS850.

Latest posts

Back