Just got an 04

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEmedic

Reaction score
Well, I am a newbie with a 2004 that I picked up today with 1500 miles on it. The bike is nearly perfect!

I have a few questions:

It is pretty difficult to get into neutral while the engine is running and its warmed up. It is much easier when the engine is cold. When I got done with my first ride today I had to shut it down before I could get it into neutral. What can I do to fix this?

I noticed that one of the seat bolt heads that are accesible in the fuel cap area is broken off. You can see the threads on the other side of the nut but the head is gone and the spring and hinge area is loose on one side. Is this a common thing?

Welcome to the board!

My Max is a pain to get into neutral at times as well, even more so with the forward controls now it seems.

The seat thing I can't tell ya, I had a Corbin on mine when I got it.

mines the same way , if it doesent go after 2 or 3 trys i cluch it a little and try agin then its fine .

Well, I am a newbie with a 2004 that I picked up today with 1500 miles on it. The bike is nearly perfect!

I have a few questions:

It is pretty difficult to get into neutral while the engine is running and its warmed up. It is much easier when the engine is cold. When I got done with my first ride today I had to shut it down before I could get it into neutral. What can I do to fix this?

I noticed that one of the seat bolt heads that are accesible in the fuel cap area is broken off. You can see the threads on the other side of the nut but the head is gone and the spring and hinge area is loose on one side. Is this a common thing?

I wouldn't say the broken bolt on the seat is a common thing, in fact I think yours is the first post on a problem like this. Can you post a picture of which bolt is broken? It might give us a better idea of how to fix it.

Ensure your shifter is properly adjusted. If it's too low it creates a bind. Second, When you shift from neutral to 1st does it lurch forward even with the clutch pulled in? You may have to bleed the brakes and if that doesn't solve it maybe the clutch discs/plates need to be replaced. One trick is to blip the throttle before going to neutral.

Try drilling out the seat bolt. A screw extractor works even better. I removed all four of the seat fasteners for quicker under-the-seat access. The middle seat latch keeps the seat fastened.

Sequential transmissions are known to cause issues getting them into gears or neutral. If you let the clutch out and roll forward a bit it should pop right in.

My SV does the same thing!

Ensure your shifter is properly adjusted. If it's too low it creates a bind. Second, When you shift from neutral to 1st does it lurch forward even with the clutch pulled in? You may have to bleed the brakes and if that doesn't solve it maybe the clutch discs/plates need to be replaced. One trick is to blip the throttle before going to neutral.

Try drilling out the seat bolt. A screw extractor works even better. I removed all four of the seat fasteners for quicker under-the-seat access. The middle seat latch keeps the seat fastened.

The bike does lurch forward when it is put into gear, but only slightly. I guess I am going to bleed the system when I have a chance prior to my next ride. Looks like rain and snow tomorrow so maybe then.
I am going to take the seat off and work on that issue at the same time.
I'll try and figure out some pics to go along with it.

Latest posts

Back