Kerker vs Hindle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy has the Hindle and had a Kerker on his last Max... They both sound good but the Kerker with the 2.5" baffle sounds amazing. On the highway it's deafening though!:surprise:

being an old car hot rod guy....let me just say this.

Exhausts dont ever "make" power...

You got a gallon of fuel and air...it can only make so much explosive force.
The containment and conversion of that force to mechanical force is in the intake filling capabilities and the capacity of the fill.

Intake and exhaust tricks like ram air, tuned port flow and exhaust pipe tuning are all just ways to further cram a little more incremental air/ fuel into the capacity that must be filled.

Said another way, the difference between a Busa 1300 motor and a Vmax motor (1200 but lets call it the same) is very big, in power. but it has little to do with the pipes.

If we took both moters and cut everything off save for two inches of ex pipe and open velosity stacks you woud still see more power from the busa due to its cam timing, bigger ports, combustion chamber shape, bigger valves, better flame propigation supported by better fuel atomization.

Its nice when a bolt on part "frees up" a few ponies but they were always there...clearing restrictions in the direction of flow or using alternating exhaust pulses to "pull" more charge out of the next cylinder is nice, but its quibbling over minor amounts of power. Its not a primary focus of power build up program.

Go for looks, go for sound and certainly go for reduced weight.

but dont sweat the ponies...barometric pressure goes down, temperature rises and you go up for a ride in the highlands and your power fluctuations will be bigger than what the pipe offers.
HNY:eusa_dance:

My buddy has the Hindle and had a Kerker on his last Max... They both sound good but the Kerker with the 2.5" baffle sounds amazing. On the highway it's deafening though!:surprise:

all my buds were in the garage smoking and drinking when i started the max with NO EXHAUST on last night...just the primary pipes (im working on a little customization) ...
LOUD as a WAR.... :punk:

being an old car hot rod guy....let me just say this.

Exhausts dont ever "make" power...

You got a gallon of fuel and air...it can only make so much explosive force.
The containment and conversion of that force to mechanical force is in the intake filling capabilities and the capacity of the fill.

Intake and exhaust tricks like ram air, tuned port flow and exhaust pipe tuning are all just ways to further cram a little more incremental air/ fuel into the capacity that must be filled.

Said another way, the difference between a Busa 1300 motor and a Vmax motor (1200 but lets call it the same) is very big, in power. but it has little to do with the pipes.

If we took both moters and cut everything off save for two inches of ex pipe and open velosity stacks you woud still see more power from the busa due to its cam timing, bigger ports, combustion chamber shape, bigger valves, better flame propigation supported by better fuel atomization.

Its nice when a bolt on part "frees up" a few ponies but they were always there...clearing restrictions in the direction of flow or using alternating exhaust pulses to "pull" more charge out of the next cylinder is nice, but its quibbling over minor amounts of power. Its not a primary focus of power build up program.

Go for looks, go for sound and certainly go for reduced weight.

but dont sweat the ponies...barometric pressure goes down, temperature rises and you go up for a ride in the highlands and your power fluctuations will be bigger than what the pipe offers.
HNY:eusa_dance:

:thumbs up: Could not agree more. The coolest thing is if you have little rumble in big car that disappears when fed, because the engine works, not the exhaust system that resembles sewer pipe

All I'm really looking for is a little weight reduction, keeping my center stand and a good sound. Db's aren't a factor, the pipes on my old bike were just a little over 24" and open.

my truck is on the loud side with its headers, but up here ppl really don't pay attention and the saying "loud bikes save lives" holds true, for the majority of cage vs. bike cases have the simple " I didn't see it" phrase, reguardless if the rider was at fault or not.

All I'm really looking for is a little weight reduction, keeping my center stand and a good sound. Db's aren't a factor, the pipes on my old bike were just a little over 24" and open.

my truck is on the loud side with its headers, but up here ppl really don't pay attention and the saying "loud bikes save lives" holds true, for the majority of cage vs. bike cases have the simple " I didn't see it" phrase, reguardless if the rider was at fault or not.

Then the Kerker is out! The Hindle is nice but dramatically reduces ground clearance...:stickyman:

Any 4 into 2 will drop weight a ton too... You might be talking 3 pounds more... Maybe 5.:confused2:

To clarify 4Gasem's last post, the Kerker pipe requires that you cut off the center stand mounting brackets, but it does cut alot of weight and sounds good. If you use your center stand at all, don't get the Kerker.

Then the Kerker is out! The Hindle is nice but dramatically reduces ground clearance...:stickyman:

Any 4 into 2 will drop weight a ton too... You might be talking 3 pounds more... Maybe 5.:confused2:

My entire stock exhaust system with bolts, shield etc wieghed 42lbs, the pipeing wieghed about 19lbs and the exhaust mufflers and that big suitcase sized collector weighed 23lbs.

My entire UFO system weighs 20lbs, the cans are 4lbs each, the pipes are 12lbs.

With all the little stuff that has come off my bike, wheel and tire changes, and whatever other changes have been made the bike weighs 585lb now with the low fuel light having just come on, which is how I make sure it is at the track when I put it on the scales.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back